The Bucs Trade You Remember Most

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

64534545496C4943260 wrote: The Dick Groat for Don Cardwell trade. I have never forgiven the Pirates for this trade as Groat was one of my favorite Buccos at the time.
Ditto. I don't believe Groat ever forgave Joe Brown for the trade either. The Pirates tried to get Cardwell from the Phillies in 1960. Rumor was they offered Dick Schofield and Danny Kravitz. But the Philllies dealt Cardwell to the Cubs for Tony Taylor and Cal Neeman on 5/13/60. Cardwell then threw a no-hitter in his first game as a Cub. And a few weeks later the Bucs traded Julian Javier and Ed Bauta for Vinegar Bend Mizell.

I wonder what would have happened if the Phils had accepted the Pirates offer for Cardwell. Maybe Groat would never have been traded. Maybe Javier (blocked by Maz) would have been dealt for another good player. And the 1960 rotation would have included Cardwell instead of Mizell.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

Johnny Ray for Miguel Garcia.

He was the only bright spot in the terrible Pirates teams of my young never days.

Kids in elementary school would bait me by telling me Steve Sax was better.

I was very bummed when he was traded.

On the positive side, I had worked for the Indians a few years before we got Giles and I knew he'd be good. That made my off-season as the was sure he would join Kendell and make us good again. Oh well.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Tony Pena and Nate McLouth for me. More Pena.

I was on the playground playing pick up baseball when I heard he was traded. I was shocked. I was young and didn't understand why he was traded. Who trades their best player for guys I never heard of?

McLouth was shocking as he just won the Gold Glove. The Pirates had finally had a CF who was young and promising. At least an outfielder for sure with Andrew McCutchen soon to arrive.

These were too very good trades for the Pirates. So was the Moises Alou trade landing Zane Smith. The Pirates needed Smith to beat the Mets and it worked.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The Ramirez deal by a mile.  Such a devastating bolt out of the blue. Was that a home game that day? I remember I was driving home from somewhere at like 11 PM and heard it on the car radio.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Possum, Smokey Burgess! One of my favorites as well... What a blast from the past indeed. Recall my JV Baseball Coach talking about eating right and being in shape. In the back of my mind, I always pictured Smokey Burgess, LOL ...The same coach used to say, Burgess looked a softball player on a church softball team.  I became acquainted in the 80's with a guy  who worked for AT&T in early days...They meet Momma Burgess- who was running a boarding house... Their crew was laying cable and needed a place to stay while in the Carolinas. She went on and on about her son the ballplayer-Forrest Burgess. She even showed them a childhood photo of old Smokey when he was a skinny kid. Years ago, I came across another guy who knew Smokey. Fella told me Smokey, in his later years, ran a gas station in NC and scouted periodically for the Braves. Smokey Burgess what a character. Haven't heard anyone mention him in years 8-) 
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0136203005222D2A2D0402430 wrote: Possum, Smokey Burgess! One of my favorites as well... What a blast from the past indeed. Recall my JV Baseball Coach talking about eating right and being in shape. In the back of my mind, I always pictured Smokey Burgess, LOL ...The same coach used to say, Burgess looked a softball player on a church softball team.  I became acquainted in the 80's with a guy  who worked for AT&T in early days...They meet Momma Burgess- who was running a boarding house... Their crew was laying cable and needed a place to stay while in the Carolinas. She went on and on about her son the ballplayer-Forrest Burgess. She even showed them a childhood photo of old Smokey when he was a skinny kid. Years ago, I came across another guy who knew Smokey. Fella told me Smokey, in his later years, ran a gas station in NC and scouted periodically for the Braves. Smokey Burgess what a character. Haven't heard anyone mention him in years 8-) 
Smoky was already 32 and a 2-time All-Star when the Bucs acquired him from Cincy. With the Reds, he had been backing up Ed Bailey since 1956, who was 5 years younger, also a LH batter and a better defensive catcher. No one ever accused Smoky of being good defensively. The 1958 Pirates got little offense from catcher Hank Foiles and lacked a LH starting pitcher. The 1959 Pirates offered Burgess a new lease to become a starting catcher again, and in 1960 he platooned with Hal Smith. But as the LH hitting catcher, he made more starts than Smith. The trade also brought LHP Harvey Haddix, a former 20-game winner, and 3B Don Hoak. As the little round guy on the team who could outhit most of his better conditioned teammates, Burgess was a fan favorite.

The 1960 champion Pirates received outstanding offense from their catching tandem. Burgess and Smith combined for a .294 BA, 33 doubles, 4 triples, 18 HRs and 84 RBIs. Smoky hit. 294. Smith hit .295. And it was Smith's 3-HR in the bottom of the 8th at Forbes Field in 1960 that turned the WS around and made it possible for Maz to win it all with his HR in the 9th. And Smith was only in the game because Smoky had singled in the 7th and was PR for by Joe Christopher. Probably the Bucs' best catching tandem along with Lavailliere and Slaught.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Speaking of Smoky's hitting prowess, The Gunner used to say he could get out of bed and get a hit. He called him Shake, Rattle and Roll for his rotund build.
BenM

Post by BenM »

The first time the Bucs traded Manny Sanguillén. I was a kid, and after Stargell, he was my favorite player. That's when I had the "What do you mean he's gone?" talk with my dad.

But it was a happy ending. We got Chuck Tanner in the trade and Manny was back a year later. (Although he wasn't the same.)
Speedloader88

Post by Speedloader88 »

Jason Schmidt and John Vanderwal to the Giants for Armando Rios and Ryan Vogelsong. I can't explain why this one really got under my skin but it may be because it was when I first took notice that the Pirates were rigging the message. This trade opened my eyes. Rios was hurt in his first game for us and never really played much and Vogelsong had one pitch and didn't fool anyone.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

When we acquired Giles. It had been a long time since we'd had anyone with game-changing power, and he kind-of came out of nowhere. Of course, now we know he was likely juicing, but he was a lot of fun to watch.

The of course we flipped him for Bay. I was upset when he was traded, but forgot soon enough. I still have a Jason Bay bobble head on my desk at work. 8-)