The Bucs Trade You Remember Most

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

As we await Neal Huntington and the Washington Nationals...I think back to the spring, April of 1987.... Pittsburgh had this awesome catcher, Tony Pena. Maybe some of you recall number#6. He had a gun for a right arm and he never disappointed at the plate. This was a young Pirates team under Jimmy Leyland. Syd Thrift sent Tony Pena to the darn St. Louis Cards for SP-Mike Dunne, Catcher-Spany LaValliere and OF Andy Van Slyke on April 1st, 1987.....I recall exactly where I was at and what I was doing. I had followed Tony since they drafted him and saw him play many times...Really liked the way he played...And man, could he catch! I was so proud of the Pirates to have a bonafid player who was really good. I was surprised. Shocked would be the word...I just couldn't believe it...And yet the deal improved the Bucs and in a few years Slick and Spanky led those young Bucs of Bobby Bonilla, RJ Reynolds, Bob Whirly Bird Walk and company to the NL Playoffs....

Just a thought on a trade that rocked my world! As I ponder what I will feel like once #22, Andrew McCutchen is no longer a Bucco...

Beat'em Bucs   :-/
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

Aramis Ramirez. That next year or so was the only time in my adult life when I didn't closely follow the Pirates. I was so bummed by that trade that I lost hope. But I was back soon enough! I'm just a masochist at heart.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I guess that it says something about me that I thought of two disasters:

12/15/1967: acquired Jim Bunning for Woody Fryman, Don Money, and some kids. I remember a headline of something like "Pirates Celebrate Christmas Early."

12/11/1975: acquired Doc Medich for Dock Ellis, Ken Brett, and Willie Randolph. I remember Stan Savrin doing a commentary about the Pirates' Big Three, "Candelaria...Medich...and Reuss."
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

685B4746454D7B465D415A5D4C4047290 wrote: I guess that it says something about me that I thought of two disasters:

12/15/1967: acquired Jim Bunning for Woody Fryman, Don Money, and some kids.  I remember a headline of something like "Pirates Celebrate Christmas Early."

12/11/1975: acquired Doc Medich for Dock Ellis, Ken Brett, and Willie Randolph.   I remember Stan Savrin doing a commentary about the Pirates' Big Three, "Candelaria...Medich...and Reuss."

I remember both Blyleven deals, the Doc Medich deal was pretty much a disaster from get go. If I remember right the Bucs were going to replace Brett if he had arm problems after the deal (maybe just at time of physical).

The deal to bring Garner back seemed like a big overpay but he turned out to be a great piece to the puzzle.
LumberCo

Post by LumberCo »

second the Tony Pena deal, was shocked, always loved Tony, probably my favorite player during my youth, but it turned out a great trad fro the pirates, Van Slyke, gold Glove catcher Mike Levallere(sp), a solid starting pitcher. one of a couple trades that set the table for the 1990-92 division winners
RichD

Post by RichD »

John Smiley a 20 game winner in 92 , for Twins prospects Midre Cummings and Neagle.

Hell we just had 2 playoff losses and still had Bonds / Drabeck /Bell etc.that next year in 93 .Yes we made the playoffs but we had to go and get some pitching late in the season .Danny Jackson   i think.

Anyway Bucs chose to not let Smiley walk for nothing after 92 so they traded to get some  prospects .I understand that but hell ...All the good players were going to leave via FA anyway.Should of just went all in and added a bat ....Jeff King was our 3b guy at the time if a recall and he was not to good .We needed a freakin bat to go with Bonds and Andy after losing Bonillia....A big bat .Pitching was never the problem.

Whispering Randy Tomlin / Wakefield , every pitcher we put on the mound that year did right. We needed a bat !!!!!

Midre Cummings = Victor Robles ......Ha .I hope not

Which trade did we make when we let Moises Alou go ?

Got`s to look that up .Ted Simmons blunder if  i recall
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

good ole Zane Smith cost us Moises
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

January 30 1959. A day that will live in infamy. The Bucs traded Whammy Douglas, Jim Pendleton, John Powers, and my favorite Pirate to the Reds for Don "Tiger" Hoak, Harvey "The Kitten" Haddix and Forrest "Smoky" Burgess.

I was crushed when they got rid of my "Favoite" Pirate. I was only 10 at the time but grew to like the power hitting 3B-OF because at the time he was the face of the franchise. Just like Cutch is in 2017.

As it turned out these 3 guys were among the reasons the Bucs thrilled a 12 yr old kid with a win in the 1960 WS. Some of us ol'd farts on this sight remember them well.
Quail

Post by Quail »

07262E072C24430 wrote: January 30 1959.  A day that will live in infamy.  The Bucs traded Whammy Douglas, Jim Pendleton, John Powers, and my favorite Pirate to the Reds for Don "Tiger" Hoak, Harvey "The Kitten" Haddix and Forrest "Smoky" Burgess.

I was crushed when they got rid of my "Favoite" Pirate.  I was only 10 at the time but grew to like the power hitting 3B-OF because at the time he was the face of the franchise.  Just like Cutch is in 2017. 

As it turned out these 3 guys were among the reasons the Bucs thrilled a 12 yr old kid with a win in the 1960 WS.  Some of us ol'd farts on this sight remember them well. 

Yes Possum! I remember it well indeed. Frank Thomas was the guy on the Pirates whose baseball card was THE ONE every kid in the neighborhood just had to have. My young brain couldn't understand why they would trade him. Of course I soon forgot about Frank after watching Tiger, Smokey and The Kitten. That trade along with the Tony Pena deal are the two I remember most in my half-century plus as a Bucco fan.
BuccoJoe

Post by BuccoJoe »

The Dick Groat for Don Cardwell trade. I have never forgiven the Pirates for this trade as Groat was one of my favorite Buccos at the time.