Extend McCutchen!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Extend McCutchen!

Post by Ecbucs »

I looked at some of Cutch's splits, in 2013, 14 and 15 he hit significantly better at home. OPS was at least 60 better and 2 years over 100 better.

In 2016 his OPS was 40 lower at home (744 to 786)
RichD

Extend McCutchen!

Post by RichD »

I think he has a great season with the bat next year .

I think he had some injuries he played through last year .

I feel he his head is maybe out of whack .Seeing all this big money given to FA and he is stuck in a crap contract . For real the Pirates got A ++ on that deal .That has to mess with your head a little i would guess.

Beltran still hitting at 40 ....Cutch same type of player he will have  seasons to come, with the bat and get his money .

Cutch has not fallen off the planet , just a bad season for him and what is expected from him.

Heck the Bautistas and Encarnachion are much older, and they want huge dollars and they have had some less then stellar years due to injury .

Cutch is only 30 next season...I dont think he is Carl Crawford. But you never know .

Tintin

Extend McCutchen!

Post by Tintin »

40727E7E6A587B727F7A7572130 wrote: Cutch's down year provides the Bucs a unique opportunity to extend Cutch at a discount: four years- $80 million which will cover 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. The new TV  deal which will start around 2018 will be worth a lot more if Cutch remains the face of the franchise, and would pay for itself. That will takes through Cutch's age 36 season. I believe that Cutch will bounce back from the nagging injuries--thumb and leg, which impacted him last year. You don't trade Clemente, Stargell or Cutch.

Why would Cutch sign here for 20 million a year, when he could get 25 in an open market?

I've been thinking about your post for a while. 

I don't know what Cutch thinks inside, but I think if he stayed there would be a real possibility of a statue of him erected outside the stadium.  Certainly that's worth something to a lot of people.   Now in most cases, I agree with you, but 5MM a year seems a small price to pay for immortality. 

I'll take 20 million (5 a year for 4 years) over a statue of myself all day and I'd be willing to bet Cutch would too.

Being beloved doesn't pay the bills like 8 figures does.
PMike

Extend McCutchen!

Post by PMike »

I don't think I like the idea of extending him. What if this decline from last year is real. There is no way they should tie up $20 million a year in him for the next 6 years. That would cripple their ability to spend badly based on the lack of production. Best case scenario seems to be that he rebounds and is only at that production level for the last few years...which is still a poor use of resources.

Isn't the only reason to sign him further based on sentimentality? It makes no business sense to sign him to more years.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Extend McCutchen!

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5A4763616F0A0 wrote: I don't think I like the idea of extending him.  What if this decline from last year is real.  There is no way they should tie up $20 million a year in him for the next 6 years.  That would cripple their ability to spend badly based on the lack of production.  Best case scenario seems to be that he rebounds and is only at that production level for the last few years...which is still a poor use of resources.

Isn't the only reason to sign him further based on sentimentality?  It makes no business sense to sign him to more years.

We say this and think this, but $20 million for a super star is the going rate. Will the Pirates ever have a $20 million+ player?

I don't think McCutchen is in a decline. His bad year was still better than most. It was still above average overall.

I would extend him based on his play on the field, not because of PR. I just don't think the Pirates will spend that money to keep him. He would probably get over $25 million a year on the open market.
SammyKhalifa

Extend McCutchen!

Post by SammyKhalifa »

526F68726F68060 wrote: Cutch's down year provides the Bucs a unique opportunity to extend Cutch at a discount: four years- $80 million which will cover 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. The new TV  deal which will start around 2018 will be worth a lot more if Cutch remains the face of the franchise, and would pay for itself. That will takes through Cutch's age 36 season. I believe that Cutch will bounce back from the nagging injuries--thumb and leg, which impacted him last year. You don't trade Clemente, Stargell or Cutch.

Why would Cutch sign here for 20 million a year, when he could get 25 in an open market?

I've been thinking about your post for a while. 

I don't know what Cutch thinks inside, but I think if he stayed there would be a real possibility of a statue of him erected outside the stadium.  Certainly that's worth something to a lot of people.   Now in most cases, I agree with you, but 5MM a year seems a small price to pay for immortality. 

I'll take 20 million (5 a year for 4 years) over a statue of myself all day and I'd be willing to bet Cutch would too.

Being beloved doesn't pay the bills like 8 figures does.

No doubt. I was thinking we were talking more about 20 mm vs 24 somewhere else or whatever.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Extend McCutchen!

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Does McCutchen get traded during the Steelers game? It would help with some PR, especially if the Steelers lose.
fjk090852-7

Extend McCutchen!

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Maybe it is a good idea to extend Cutch rather than moving him. It appears there is not much interest in teams pursuing him at this time. Why not try to extend him for two additional years 2019-2020. See if he would accept the extension or not.
Quail

Extend McCutchen!

Post by Quail »

5B57560D040D05080F100A3D0 wrote: Maybe it is a good idea to extend Cutch rather than moving him. It appears there is not much interest in teams pursuing him at this time. Why not try to extend him for two additional years 2019-2020. See if he would accept the extension or not.

If you believe Cutch will rebound to at least a semblance of his MVP self it would make sense. If you think he's started down the irreversible downward slope of performance decline he'll be blocking Meadows. If you believe like I do that the Pirates will never spend what it would take to extend Cutch then it doesn't really matter what his performance level will be.
Roberto218

Extend McCutchen!

Post by Roberto218 »

I agree with Dogknot3. With the Bucs TV contract coming up, TV revenues should double. A four year extension...4/80 would take us throuhg age 36.