Official McCutchen trade thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

One of the sites said Nats were planning on keeping Robles, so he might not be available anyway.

It doesn't look like anything will happen soon. The teams we hear about are saying the price is too high.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

7A6743414F2A0 wrote: Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib  23m23 minutes ago Fort Washington, MD

#pirates ask of Robles & Giolito was rebuffed by Nats, who also wonder about McCutchen's possible skill decline, leadership

That's unfortunate because those are the 2 players that the Bucs should command for Cutch.

I would then turn to the Dodgers and try to get DeLeon and Bellinger. DeLeon becomes a potential #1 starter. Bellinger finally solves the LH power 1B we have coveted forever.  Bell moved to RF.

I agree about the Washington prospects.  What would you think if it was Robles and Lopez or Robles and Ross?
I think Robles and Ross would be interesting if it would help persuade Tyson Ross to sign with the Bucs to be with his brother
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Personally, I'm of the mindset that we should hang on to McCutchen, at least for the time being. Meadows isn't quite ready anyway. It just seems to me that if they give him half a year to rebound, and deal him at the deadline, it makes much more sense for the Pirates. There isn't really a rush to trade him...we have him under contract for two more years. Keep him...play him...let him rebuild trade value...deal him at the deadline after Super 2 date has passed...call up Meadows. Seems pretty simple to me.

The obvious downside to this strategy is running the risk that 2016 wasn't just a down year, but rather, the beginning of a steep decline.

Finally, who on earth would question McCutchen's leadership? He's the epitome of a team-first player. I've always said that I care more about the name on the front of the jersey than the one on the back, but Andrew McCutchen doesn't in any way strike me as a "me first" player. Ironic that the Washington Nationals, of all teams, would raise this. This is the same team that still employs Bryce "Don't sell me short bro" Harper (when referring to a potential $500 MILLION contract...more than the GDP of some small countries) and was also regularly writing checks to Jonathan Papelbon. In other words, the next time the Gnats care about a player's character will be the first.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

46636060755E636B697E0C0 wrote: Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib  23m23 minutes ago Fort Washington, MD

#pirates ask of Robles & Giolito was rebuffed by Nats, who also wonder about McCutchen's possible skill decline, leadership

That's unfortunate because those are the 2 players that the Bucs should command for Cutch.

I would then turn to the Dodgers and try to get DeLeon and Bellinger. DeLeon becomes a potential #1 starter. Bellinger finally solves the LH power 1B we have coveted forever.  Bell moved to RF.

If Washington wants Sale too, there is NO WAY they trade those two to Pittsburgh. Right now, Cutch's value is at an all time low and organizations are questioning his leadership. Right now, we are going to get 40 cents on the dollar for Cutch. The price people are willing to pay isn't high. No one with a good farm system is parting with their top two prospects for him.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

37352F293F5A0 wrote: One of the sites said Nats were planning on keeping Robles, so he might not be available anyway.

It doesn't look like anything will happen soon. The teams we hear about are saying the price is too high.

Note to Rizzo ... they ain't getting Sale without parting with Robles IMO.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4D4546716742656A040 wrote: Personally, I'm of the mindset that we should hang on to McCutchen, at least for the time being.  Meadows isn't quite ready anyway.  It just seems to me that if they give him half a year to rebound, and deal him at the deadline, it makes much more sense for the Pirates.  There isn't really a rush to trade him...we have him under contract for two more years.  Keep him...play him...let him rebuild trade value...deal him at the deadline after Super 2 date has passed...call up Meadows.  Seems pretty simple to me.

The obvious downside to this strategy is running the risk that 2016 wasn't just a down year, but rather, the beginning of a steep decline.

Finally, who on earth would question McCutchen's leadership?  He's the epitome of a team-first player.  I've always said that I care more about the name on the front of the jersey than the one on the back, but Andrew McCutchen doesn't in any way strike me as a "me first" player.  Ironic that the Washington Nationals, of all teams, would raise this.  This is the same team that still employs Bryce "Don't sell me short bro" Harper (when referring to a potential $500 MILLION contract...more than the GDP of some small countries) and was also regularly writing checks to Jonathan Papelbon.  In other words, the next time the Gnats care about a player's character will be the first.

McCutchen is more valuable now with two years remaining than one. Not many people think he is ready to decline. I have been listening to a lot of MLB Network (Sirius & TV).

His leadership shouldn't be questioned either. He might not be a clubhouse leader, like rah rah, but he does lead on the field. I have never heard a teammate say anything bad about him or the media. He has to be a well liked guy. (Maybe Nationals asked because of who they have on their team and want McCutchen to show/lead them?)
PMike

Post by PMike »

6F67645345604748260 wrote: Personally, I'm of the mindset that we should hang on to McCutchen, at least for the time being.  Meadows isn't quite ready anyway.  It just seems to me that if they give him half a year to rebound, and deal him at the deadline, it makes much more sense for the Pirates.  There isn't really a rush to trade him...we have him under contract for two more years.  Keep him...play him...let him rebuild trade value...deal him at the deadline after Super 2 date has passed...call up Meadows.  Seems pretty simple to me.

Finally, who on earth would question McCutchen's leadership?  He's the epitome of a team-first player.  I've always said that I care more about the name on the front of the jersey than the one on the back, but Andrew McCutchen doesn't in any way strike me as a "me first" player.  Ironic that the Washington Nationals, of all teams, would raise this.  This is the same team that still employs Bryce "Don't sell me short bro" Harper (when referring to a potential $500 MILLION contract...more than the GDP of some small countries) and was also regularly writing checks to Jonathan Papelbon.  In other words, the next time the Gnats care about a player's character will be the first.

The question of leadership/character from Washington is baloney. I have a hard time believing that one for exactly the reasons you stated. PLUS, they are going after Sale who has known issues with being disruptive in the clubs house. They don't care about character with McCutchen or they don't have an issue with it. I don't know where that line came from, but it is stupid and unlikely that it came from them.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6E7357555B3E0 wrote: Personally, I'm of the mindset that we should hang on to McCutchen, at least for the time being.  Meadows isn't quite ready anyway.  It just seems to me that if they give him half a year to rebound, and deal him at the deadline, it makes much more sense for the Pirates.  There isn't really a rush to trade him...we have him under contract for two more years.  Keep him...play him...let him rebuild trade value...deal him at the deadline after Super 2 date has passed...call up Meadows.  Seems pretty simple to me.

The question of leadership/character from Washington is baloney.  I have a hard time believing that one for exactly the reasons you stated.  PLUS, they are going after Sale who has known issues with being disruptive in the clubs house.  They don't care about character with McCutchen or they don't have an issue with it.  I don't know where that line came from, but it is stupid and unlikely that it came from them.

All these rumors and talk probably makes Cutch want to get out of Pittsburgh ASAP. I think they need to deal him or they will have a very unhappy and disgruntled player. Plus if that is one reason that Liriano was dealt it shows Cutch how to get out of town if he really wants to do so.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Appears that Nats are close to acquiring Sale. I think that will end the trade discussions for Cutch. Maybe that mystery team will offer a package that the Bucs will accept.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

323E3F646D646C61667963540 wrote: Appears that Nats are close to acquiring Sale. I think that will end the trade discussions for Cutch.  Maybe that mystery team will offer a package that the Bucs will accept.

I don't neccesarlily think that's the case.

Would you do Cutch for Ross, Lopez and Gino?