How I rank the potential trade pieces

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think I would be wiling to move Keller and Glasnow, then some combo in the 10-20 range.

Bell and Taillon are main cogs in the 2017 team, so I think for that reason the Pirates would consider them untouchable in a Quintana deal.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think the Nova signing has probably lowered the return for Quintana. The Pirates have three solid starters and a fourth (Kuhl) who is under appreciated.

Quintana would be great, but the need just isn't there anymore.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

3C3E242234510 wrote: I can understand why people wouldn't want to see Bell go, but he is in the unique position of being more valuable to the Sox than he would be to us. For us, he's a good hitter but with poor fielding. In a DH league that part of the equation can disappear, meaning he's worth even more. If NH is trying to balance value in a trade, adding Bell is a little like getting a discount.

The highlighted part just makes me laugh. Despite Bob Walk's signs in the broadcast booth and his lobbying for "NO DH" it would be the Bucs luck that the minute NH trades Bell for his lack of decent defense MLB makes the DH the rule in the NL. ;D ;D ;D
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

The Pirates rolled the dice on the rotation last year that Taillon and Glasnow would bolster the rotation. Do they think they can do that again now with Cole, Taillon and Nova with Kuhl, Glasnow, Kingham and Hutchison in the wings? Or do we prefer moving forward without a Glasnow and Bell/Meadows and some other prospect for a rotation of Cole, Quintana, Taillon, Nova and Kuhl?

Because I am a long suffering Pirate fan I am tempted to hold onto the future but a playoff rotation with Quintana is something that makes the team more dangerous. I think Glasnow will figure it out but it may take a couple of years of struggles and by the time he becomes what we want him to be he will be getting too expensive.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

2F272433252529460 wrote: The Pirates rolled the dice on the rotation last year that Taillon and Glasnow would bolster the rotation.  Do they think they can do that again now with Cole, Taillon and Nova with Kuhl, Glasnow, Kingham and Hutchison in the wings?  Or do we prefer moving forward without a Glasnow and Bell/Meadows and some other prospect for a rotation of Cole, Quintana, Taillon, Nova and Kuhl? 

Because I am a long suffering Pirate fan I am tempted to hold onto the future but a playoff rotation with Quintana is something that makes the team more dangerous.  I think Glasnow will figure it out but it may take a couple of years of struggles and by the time he becomes what we want him to be he will be getting too expensive. 

The dice roll worked, it was that components of the pitching staff that they believed they could count on were unreliable. Had Liriano and Cole combined for 375-400 effective innings, then having counted on Taillon or Glasnow would have looked a lot better. They were around 30-20 at one point last year, if the pitching staff got better as opposed to the starting rotation continuing to self destruct, they likely would have made it in as a WC.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

0E332D202F252E0C2433222425410 wrote: The Pirates rolled the dice on the rotation last year that Taillon and Glasnow would bolster the rotation.  Do they think they can do that again now with Cole, Taillon and Nova with Kuhl, Glasnow, Kingham and Hutchison in the wings?  Or do we prefer moving forward without a Glasnow and Bell/Meadows and some other prospect for a rotation of Cole, Quintana, Taillon, Nova and Kuhl? 

Because I am a long suffering Pirate fan I am tempted to hold onto the future but a playoff rotation with Quintana is something that makes the team more dangerous.  I think Glasnow will figure it out but it may take a couple of years of struggles and by the time he becomes what we want him to be he will be getting too expensive. 

The dice roll worked, it was that components of the pitching staff that they believed they could count on were unreliable.  Had Liriano and Cole combined for 375-400 effective innings, then having counted on Taillon or Glasnow would have looked a lot better.  They were around 30-20 at one point last year, if the pitching staff got better as opposed to the starting rotation continuing to self destruct, they likely would have made it in as a WC.

I agree with that. That bad skid in June really knocked them out of it and they never recovered. Cole, Liriano, and Niese were the main reasons the rotation failed. They were the ones counted on to carry the rotation. Taillon came up too late to help. I don't think Glasnow was ever in the 2016 plans.

They tried to replace Burnett and Morton and failed.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

I don't trade Meadows. Period. He could be Cutch II.

After that, I hesitate with Glasnow, as I think he has special upside, but I understand the need to deal six years of him for 4 years of Q.

Bell, i think will be a good MLB player, but it's tough to find him a real position in The NL.

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

78737B777273682D2B5C657D747373327F731C0 wrote: I think the Nova signing has probably lowered the return for Quintana.  The Pirates have three solid starters and a fourth (Kuhl) who is under appreciated. 

Quintana would be great, but the need just isn't there anymore.

Insanity. Wouldn't change Q's value anyway. Still crazy
dogknot17@yahoo.co

To the Pirates it could. Not overall, to the Pirates.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

444F474B4E4F541117605941484F4F0E434F200 wrote: To the Pirates it could. Not overall, to the Pirates.
It shouldn't change the Pirates value of Quintana either. He would still make this rotation much better. This would be a very, very good rotation.

Quintana

Cole

Taillon

Nova

Kuhl