Harrison vs Frazier

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Harrison vs Frazier

Post by IABucFan »

687F695E4848442B0 wrote: Frazier won't take the 2B job from Harrison.  I do think he will (and has) earn(ed) himself 350-400 ABs this year.  And that will be a good thing for the team.  He's already a much better bat than Harrison against RHP.  I think he'll move around though.  He should get his starts at 2B and in the OF along with giving Jordy a day off once in a while. 

Agreed. We kind of have a glut of middle infielders right now. Mercer, Harrison, Frazier, Hanson, Ngoepe, Gosselin, and Kang will probably all see time at second and/or short this year. I could actually see a couple of them being traded before the start of the year.

Hanson had two nice defensive plays today from second base.

I also agree with skinny. We need a high OBP guy at the top of the order. I'd almost put for McCutchen at leadoff. I'm not a fan of Harrison leading off. Too inconsistent for my taste. Cervelli also might be able to do it. Not your prototypical fast guy though.
rucker59@gmail.com

Harrison vs Frazier

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I like Frazier. A lot. But this is spring training. It means very little.

JHay will be the starter until he fails to produce AND Frazier proves he can do significantly better. Josh's defense is better as well.

If we made a list of Spring Trajnjng MVPs....
Bobster21

Harrison vs Frazier

Post by Bobster21 »

404751595740070B72555F535B5E1C515D5F320 wrote: I like Frazier.  A lot.  But this is spring training.  It means very little. 

JHay will be the starter until he fails to produce AND Frazier proves he can do significantly better.  Josh's defense is better as well.

If we made a list of Spring Trajnjng MVPs....

True dat. Where is Hague today? But I agree. I like Frazier a lot. I think he'll get a lot of PT. If Harrison falters, he will be next in line for 2B. But the only job Frazier will win in ST is a utility role.
SteadyFreddy

Harrison vs Frazier

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I'm not a big J Hay guy and even though the guy hustles and gives it his all I wish they never would have given him the contract they did a few years ago. His bonehead baserunning always seems to costs the Pirates a lot during the season which is something Harrison cant be doing if he is going to start on this team. I would have him as the starter at 2nd to start the year but I wouldn't be afraid to replace him with Frazier should he stink right away. I think Frazier starting at 2nd and batting leadoff potentially makes this team better then if J Hay is in the lineup everyday in the long run.
fjk090852-7

Harrison vs Frazier

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I agree that Harrison is a good defender, but Frazier knows how to hit. He is not the same type of hitter as previous spring training phenoms like Matt Hague and Brad Eldred.
rucker59@gmail.com

Harrison vs Frazier

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

51766763667B44706766667B020 wrote: I'm not a big J Hay guy and even though the guy hustles and gives it his all I wish they never would have given him the contract they did a few years ago. His bonehead baserunning always seems to costs the Pirates a lot during the season which is something Harrison cant be doing if he is going to start on this team. I would have him as the starter at 2nd to start the year but I wouldn't be afraid to replace him with Frazier should he stink right away. I think Frazier starting at 2nd and batting leadoff potentially makes this team better then if J Hay is in the lineup everyday in the long run.

I'd love to know how many outs Josh runs into. I bet it's not very many, at least compared to what a lot of fans seem to believe. Then I'd like to see how many bases he takes for hustling the way he does. I also bet it's more than the same fans give him credit for. How many times has he scored as a direct result of taking 2nd?

I'm not trying to bust you Freddy, but I think this team is better with JHay IF he's hitting. The guy plays at one speed, every play - full blast. I'm less frustrated with his hitting as I am with his discipline. I wonder how many ball-4 he's struck out on? Watching him bat can be a very frustrating experience.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Harrison vs Frazier

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am curious too. Maybe the people who love the WAR stat can chime in since it is factored in that estimation?

From my own eyes, Harrison is a bad base runner. He runs in wrong situations. People thought he was great because he got out of some run downs that one year, but he should have never been in those situations.

I don't know how many times he took an extra base, but who are you comparing him to? Marte and Polanco are bad base runners too, but their speed makes up for some of their mistakes. Guys like Walker and Alvarez, who are no longer here, were very good base runners. McCutchen is a good base runner. Kang is a good base runner. Mercer is a good base runner. In my opinion, Harrison is the worst. He has made many bad decisions running even if he was called safe.
PMike

Harrison vs Frazier

Post by PMike »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: I am curious too.  Maybe the people who love the WAR stat can chime in since it is factored in that estimation?

From my own eyes, Harrison is a bad base runner.  He runs in wrong situations.  People thought he was great because he got out of some run downs that one year, but he should have never been in those situations. 

I don't know how many times he took an extra base, but who are you comparing him to?  Marte and Polanco are bad base runners too, but their speed makes up for some of their mistakes.  Guys like Walker and Alvarez, who are no longer here, were very good base runners.  McCutchen is a good base runner.  Kang is a good base runner.  Mercer is a good base runner.  In my opinion, Harrison is the worst.  He has made many bad decisions running even if he was called safe. 

PP did an article a few months back looking at exactly this issue. Their statistical analysis did not confirm your eye test. The advanced metrics that they used showed Marte, Mercer and Harrison as the top baserunners on the team. They had a major drop last year in base running was largely attributed to Jaso and Freese, but also Kang, Polanco, and even McCutchen had big drop-offs.
SteadyFreddy

Harrison vs Frazier

Post by SteadyFreddy »

4641575F5146010D745359555D581A575B59340 wrote: I'm not a big J Hay guy and even though the guy hustles and gives it his all I wish they never would have given him the contract they did a few years ago. His bonehead baserunning always seems to costs the Pirates a lot during the season which is something Harrison cant be doing if he is going to start on this team. I would have him as the starter at 2nd to start the year but I wouldn't be afraid to replace him with Frazier should he stink right away. I think Frazier starting at 2nd and batting leadoff potentially makes this team better then if J Hay is in the lineup everyday in the long run.

I'd love to know how many outs Josh runs into.  I bet it's not very many, at least compared to what a lot of fans seem to believe.  Then I'd like to see how many bases he takes for hustling the way he does.  I also bet it's more than the same fans give him credit for.  How many times has he scored as a direct result of taking 2nd?

I'm not trying to bust you Freddy, but I think this team is better with JHay IF he's hitting.  The guy plays at one speed, every play - full blast.  I'm less frustrated with his hitting as I am with his discipline.  I wonder how many ball-4 he's struck out on?  Watching him bat can be a very frustrating experience.

If JHay is hitting like he was in 2014 absolutely they are better with him in the lineup but since that season he hasn't come anywhere close to that. I'm willing to give the guy another opportunity but I definitely wouldn't hesitate to start Frazier over him if JHay is not hitting and running into outs on the bases like he does a lot of the time.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Harrison vs Frazier

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

796440424C290 wrote: I am curious too.  Maybe the people who love the WAR stat can chime in since it is factored in that estimation?

From my own eyes, Harrison is a bad base runner.  He runs in wrong situations.  People thought he was great because he got out of some run downs that one year, but he should have never been in those situations. 

I don't know how many times he took an extra base, but who are you comparing him to?  Marte and Polanco are bad base runners too, but their speed makes up for some of their mistakes.  Guys like Walker and Alvarez, who are no longer here, were very good base runners.  McCutchen is a good base runner.  Kang is a good base runner.  Mercer is a good base runner.  In my opinion, Harrison is the worst.  He has made many bad decisions running even if he was called safe. 

PP did an article a few months back looking at exactly this issue.  Their statistical analysis did not confirm your eye test.  The advanced metrics that they used showed Marte, Mercer and Harrison as the top baserunners on the team.  They had a major drop last year in base running was largely attributed to Jaso and Freese, but also Kang, Polanco, and even McCutchen had big drop-offs.

I wasn't talking about stealing bases. Guys going first to third, scoring from first, or just knowing when to run when the ball isn't being caught. Harrison doesn't seem to me to get that jump and hesitates some. The biggest problem about Marte and Polanco is they over run the bases. Marte gets bad jumps too, but he is so fast.

I would love to know the stats or how it was analyzed.