Watson out as closer

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Watson out as closer

Post by johnfluharty »

I wouldn't send him down. I'd put him in the pen. He's still facing major league hitters that way.
dmetz

Watson out as closer

Post by dmetz »

I find it almost impossible to believe that he would be able to dominate AAA hitters again pitching the way he is now.

Maybe his confidence is shot. Maybe he's pitching differently than he was in Indy. But I can't believe that a pitcher getting lit up the way he consistently has been for this long in the big leagues would dominate AAA hitters again.

If he was sitting at 5 or 5 and a half ERA, I could see the argument, but a major league pitcher struggling to keep his ERA under 7 for this long isn't going to be putting up a 2 ERA in AAA doing the same things. There's not that much of a difference in the levels.

He needs to go to Indy and re-prove to himself and the org that he's able to succeed at that level. Whatever he's doing now, I don't believe he will.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Watson out as closer

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

There is a huge difference in Triple A and the Majors. Glasnow can dominate again, but he needs to pitch differently. He won't get the hitters chasing in the majors like the minors.

I think a mind set comes into play when it comes to the hitters. Minor Leaguers probably want to light up a top pitching prospect. They chase his pitches, try to prove themselves. Major Leaguers don't want to be shown up by a rookie. They will take a walk and/or wait for that grooved pitch.

Glasnow needs sent down and learn to pitch to contact. He needs to throw his wild stuff for strikes. His fastball needs to be more on the corners.

He has some good stuff. He throws hard. I don't think he is finished by any means. He is still very young. He needs some fine tuning.
Aaron

Watson out as closer

Post by Aaron »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote:

Glasnow needs sent down and learn to pitch to contact.

Giancarlo Stanton thinks Glasnow is already excellent at pitching to contact.

Quite frankly, the rest of the NL thinks the same way.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Watson out as closer

0727342928460 wrote:

Glasnow needs sent down and learn to pitch to contact.

Giancarlo Stanton thinks Glasnow is already excellent at pitching to contact.

Quite frankly, the rest of the NL thinks the same way.

Exactly my point. Did they confirm if that was the furthest HR in PNC Park history?
skinnyhorse

Watson out as closer

Post by skinnyhorse »

6D4C595068514A594C5D380 wrote: Are Hurdle/Huntington growing a set? When does the Glasnow experiment end? Some tweaks to this lineup would really help. Right now I have confidence that Nova is going to keep us in a game. I "hope" when Williams takes the mound.

But Glasnow? I hid my eyes in terror. I don't think we're doing him any favors right now.

I agree we're not doing him any favors, I just hope he hasn't been permanently damaged. He should not have been left in the starting rotation this long. I'm sure he has totally lost his confidence and I hope he's not damaged permanently. Pitchers can be fragile, and should be handled carefully, something I didn't see with Glasnow.
dmetz

Watson out as closer

Post by dmetz »

Glasnow was getting hit by everyone.  It's not like he was doing well against MLB scrubs and the regular players were lighting him up. He was getting squared up by pitchers for crips sake.

He also got lit up in spring training by a bunch of AAAA types so it's just been a continuation of his spring.

A 7 ERA pitcher over a decent sample isn't going to go down to Indy and go back to 5h/9 doing the same things that's getting him smashed by everyone in MLB..  Never going to happen.   So hopefully he gets his work in and re-establishes himself as a good AAA pitcher.   Then he can come back.   

As bad as he is, we will be lucky if he ever ends up a decent MLB starter. He doesn't need fine tuned, he needs a complete overhaul
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Watson out as closer

So, you think Glasnow is done and will never be decent in the majors? He has no chance to rebound in his career?

You might be right, but there is no way I would give up on him at age 23. I think people expected too much from Glasnow. He is a rookie pitcher who was drafted in the 5th round.
SammyKhalifa

Watson out as closer

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote: So, you think Glasnow is done and will never be decent in the majors?  He has no chance to rebound in his career?

You might be right, but there is no way I would give up on him at age 23.  I think people expected too much from Glasnow.  He is a rookie pitcher who was drafted in the 5th round.

He should have never come North with the team. We should have had more options.

I hope it didn't do irreparable damage.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Watson out as closer

I agree he shouldn't have come north. I disagree there weren't many options. Williams is pitching fine in the majors. Brault pitching fine in the minors. Hutchison probably wouldn't have been that bad. Glasnow was left in the rotation too long.