Cutch Hitting .211

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6C5E52524674575E5356595E3F0 wrote: I'll get booed soundly for this, but I kinda liked Bell batting second.

I don't mind it, but this team doesn't have a set, ideal spot for anyone. They are all kind of the same type of player. Bell, Harrison, Frazier, Cervelli, Polanco can all bat second. McCutchen started to bat second last year. Mercer has been at the top of the order against lefties.

SammyKhalifa

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I just like his walks and how that would theoretically turn the lineup over more often if he were closer to the top.

That said, it's hard to argue with him cleanup or third either.
notes34

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by notes34 »

4B4E494F474D544940535558210 wrote: How much longer can Cutch and his .211 batting avg. hit 3rd in the order.  I would move Frazier to that spot and have Cutch lead off.  It might jump start him however I doubt it but him hitting 3rd is killing us.  He could then concentrate on getting on base.   Frazier is by far the best hitter on this team, and with him batting 3rd might actually score a couple of more runs.
Frazier is an ideal leadoff hitter. Good BA, gets on base. But the #3 slot is hisorically for the team's best overall hitter in terms of combination of BA and power. It's an RBI spot assuming the first 2 batters get on base as they're supposed to. Frazier and Harrison are doing their jobs in front of Cutch but he's failing miserably at #3. Moving him to #1 is little better than batting the pitcher there right now. And putting Frazier at #3 removes him from the spot he's perfect for and puts him in a spot he's ill-suited for since he's not one for driving the ball and knocking in runs even if Harrison was getting aboard with 1 out after Cutch bats.

Cutch should bat low in the order until and unless he rebounds. Ideally 7th but no higher than 6th. No one on the team is well-suited for #3. But Freese would be better than Cutch right now. Or bat Bell #3 and Freese #4. Cervelli had a little spurt from late April to early May so maybe he could hit #2 and move Harrison to #3. It's all a matter of putting square pegs in round holes since Bell is the only one worthy of a 3, 4 or 5 slot. But Frazier's hits play well at #1 but wouldn't be enough to drive in runs at #3.    

There was an article posted here recently about his high exit velocities and the poor correlating results.  I was at the game on Thursday and he hit every ball really hard.  Unfortunately, he only went 2-5.  I haven't been able to watch every at bat recently, but I think he deserves a little better lately.  I'm willing to give him a little rope at the moment.

I agree.  My experience from watching him on TV recently is similar to your in-person experience.  He hits the ball hard more often than not. 

Yep. In the game you were at he hit the ball at the following speeds 100.96.100.4, 98.6, and 92.4. He has hit the ball 95+ on 40.5% of his AB's. His BABIP is hovering around .200. It can't stay there.
PMike

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by PMike »

2C2D3627317176420 wrote: How much longer can Cutch and his .211 batting avg. hit 3rd in the order.  I would move Frazier to that spot and have Cutch lead off.  It might jump start him however I doubt it but him hitting 3rd is killing us.  He could then concentrate on getting on base.   Frazier is by far the best hitter on this team, and with him batting 3rd might actually score a couple of more runs.
Frazier is an ideal leadoff hitter. Good BA, gets on base. But the #3 slot is hisorically for the team's best overall hitter in terms of combination of BA and power. It's an RBI spot assuming the first 2 batters get on base as they're supposed to. Frazier and Harrison are doing their jobs in front of Cutch but he's failing miserably at #3. Moving him to #1 is little better than batting the pitcher there right now. And putting Frazier at #3 removes him from the spot he's perfect for and puts him in a spot he's ill-suited for since he's not one for driving the ball and knocking in runs even if Harrison was getting aboard with 1 out after Cutch bats.

Cutch should bat low in the order until and unless he rebounds. Ideally 7th but no higher than 6th. No one on the team is well-suited for #3. But Freese would be better than Cutch right now. Or bat Bell #3 and Freese #4. Cervelli had a little spurt from late April to early May so maybe he could hit #2 and move Harrison to #3. It's all a matter of putting square pegs in round holes since Bell is the only one worthy of a 3, 4 or 5 slot. But Frazier's hits play well at #1 but wouldn't be enough to drive in runs at #3.    

There was an article posted here recently about his high exit velocities and the poor correlating results.  I was at the game on Thursday and he hit every ball really hard.  Unfortunately, he only went 2-5.  I haven't been able to watch every at bat recently, but I think he deserves a little better lately.  I'm willing to give him a little rope at the moment.

I agree.  My experience from watching him on TV recently is similar to your in-person experience.  He hits the ball hard more often than not. 

Yep. In the game you were at he hit the ball at the following speeds 100.96.100.4, 98.6, and 92.4. He has hit the ball 95+ on 40.5% of his AB's. His BABIP is hovering around .200. It can't stay there.

Good stuff. Thanks!
johnfluharty

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by johnfluharty »

6E5C50504476555C51545B5C3D0 wrote: I'll get booed soundly for this, but I kinda liked Bell batting second.

Booooooo!
johnfluharty

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by johnfluharty »

1E2C20203406252C21242B2C4D0 wrote: I just like his walks and how that would theoretically turn the lineup over more often if he were closer to the top.

That said, it's hard to argue with him cleanup or third either.

I actually don't mind it since he will get more at bats and, at least in theory, would be pitched around less hitting in that position.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Hitting .211

This might be a dumb question, but how can BA and BABIP be different?
johnfluharty

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by johnfluharty »

505B535F5A5B400503744D555C5B5B1A575B340 wrote: This might be a dumb question, but how can BA and BABIP be different?

A ball is “in play” when the plate appearance ends in something other than a strikeout, walk, hit batter, catcher's interference, sacrifice bunt, or home run.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Hitting .211

2A2F282E262C352821323439400 wrote: This might be a dumb question, but how can BA and BABIP be different?

A ball is “in play” when the plate appearance ends in something other than a strikeout, walk, hit batter, catcher's interference, sacrifice bunt, or home run.

But those things don't effect your batting average except the HR? Aren't all hits "in play"?
johnfluharty

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by johnfluharty »

Strikeouts are reflected in batting average.  I'm not sure about sac bunts.  I think they are.