5. Josh Bell (S) 1B

6. Jose Osuna (R) LF

7. Gregory Polanco (L) RF

8. Jordy Mercer (R) SS

9. Chad Kuhl (R) P
johnfluharty

The Milwaukee Series ... THIS. IS. IT.

Post by johnfluharty »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: Note: This post is assuming that we play 4 games vs. MIL this week with no rainouts.

So this is it. When the Brewers series is over, the Pirates could be as close as 3 games out of 1st or as far back as 11 games. So yea there's a ton on the line.

Here's how I see the various results:

3 games out -- (PIT sweep). Pirates have swept the Brewers, have a ton of momentum and are in the thick of a playoff race.

5 games out -- (PIT 3 of 4). Pirates are still very much in contention and the front office should make plans to try to win a winnable division.

7 games out -- (SPLIT 2-2). Pirates have blown a golden opportunity, split the series, have gained no ground and are heading out West on a 10-game road trip. I would declare the season essentially over, barring a miracle, and I would make plans to sell.

9 games out -- (MIL 3 of 4). Season over.

11 games out -- (MIL sweep). Season over.

Bottom line ... if the Pirates can take 3 of 4, they are still very much in this race. Anything short of that, and it's time to focus on 2018 and beyond.

I agree with this.  Precisely why head to head are objectively more important games.  I'll be very disappointed if we see Moroff, Stewart, or Gosselin at all this series.  After the first game, Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Freese, Mercer, Harrison, Bell, and Cervelli need to be in the starting lineup each game.  I like that we have Nova, Cole, and Taillon pitching the last three games of the series.
Don't be surprised if you see all of them. Hurdle knows how important it is to frequently rest players. That's why they have such a good record. And that's 4 whole games in a row. Hurdle doesn't seem to put importance on any particular game. 

I'm ok if Freese sits out one or two games, Harrison slides over to 3B, and Frazier starts at 2B. Freese has not been hitting much the last few weeks and Frazier maybe getting his bat going again.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

675559594D7F5C55585D5255340 wrote: lineup posted:

1. Josh Harrison (R) 2B

2. Francisco Cervelli (R) C

3. Andrew McCutchen (R) CF

4. David Freese (R) 3B

5. Josh Bell (S) 1B

6. Jose Osuna (R) LF

8. Jordy Mercer (R) SS

9. Chad Kuhl (R) P

I would have switched this up a little more.

I would bat Mercer second, Osuna fourth, Polanco sixth, Freese, seventh and Cervelli eighth. (Polanco is batting .800 in the 7th spot)

Brent Suter has been pretty good this year. It would be nice to get some runners on base early and often.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I guess Frazier needs a rest after a 2-hit game, walk-off hit yesterday. Marte returns tomorrow to take Frazier's OF spot. No sense giving Frazier another start tonight vs Brewers. Good thinking, Clint!
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

02303C3C281A39303D383730510 wrote: lineup posted:

1. Josh Harrison (R) 2B

2. Francisco Cervelli (R) C

3. Andrew McCutchen (R) CF

4. David Freese (R) 3B

5. Josh Bell (S) 1B

6. Jose Osuna (R) LF

8. Jordy Mercer (R) SS

9. Chad Kuhl (R) P

Other than Diaz being up, catching and batting 8th with Mercer 2nd, I don't mind that lineup structure vs left.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

012C21303726317172430 wrote: I guess Frazier needs a rest after a 2-hit game, walk-off hit yesterday. Marte returns tomorrow to take Frazier's OF spot. No sense giving Frazier another start tonight vs Brewers. Good thinking, Clint!

You would start the lefty Frazier over the righty Osuna? I wouldn't. Frazier has been struggling too.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

39323A363332296C6A1D243C353232733E325D0 wrote: I guess Frazier needs a rest after a 2-hit game, walk-off hit yesterday. Marte returns tomorrow to take Frazier's OF spot. No sense giving Frazier another start tonight vs Brewers. Good thinking, Clint!

You would start the lefty Frazier over the righty Osuna?  I wouldn't. Frazier has been struggling too. 

I sure would. Both SSS but Osuna is hitting .255 vs LHP and Frazier is hitting .324 vs LHP. And Frazier is on a 6 for 12 hot streak.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

How is that not error on Bell?

Scoring this year has been worse than the actual defense on the field.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Osuna, Polanco and Mercer put together three really good ABs and suddenly the Buccos are on the board.

2-2!
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Kuhl and JHay single, two men on. 1 out.