Mason Martin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Mason Martin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

7D767E7277766D282E596078717676377A76190 wrote: Do you get an extra pick for every kid that doesn't sign the following year or just the higher rounds?

With the slotting now, why not take a chance on these college bound kids.  I hated going to class and would even hate getting up earlier to practice and then go to class.  Maybe I can be that negotiator to tell kids to skip school and play baseball?

I think it's the first two rounds (all the comp picks between too). I remember they got a comp pick for Scheppers way back when.

I would really like to see some sort of probability hits for the types of kids that pass up the bonus money to go to college. I know recently the Pirates drafted Walker Buehler and Trea Turner, who both went to college, and most recently Nick Lodolo, but he was a high pick and was offered almost $2M, that's much different than the 250K bonuses that those former two turned down.

So if anyone knew that Trea Turner would what he is today, he would have been a top pick, so the Pirates should take a look at their negotiations with these HS kids that turn down the money, and see how many of those kids they felt good about, but not that good enough, but the players were confident enough to bet on themselves, And apply some probability scores to those guys to then offer them more bonus money to try and sign.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Mason Martin

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I would love to see a list of players the Pirates drafted but went to college instead. It would show how many they knew about, scouted well too.

I didn't remember Trea Turner being drafted, but when I looked up his baseball-reference profile, I saw the Pirates drafted him. 20th round. What if he would have signed?
Ecbucs

Mason Martin

Post by Ecbucs »

4D706E636C666D4F6770616766020 wrote: I think it's really hard to scout players when they're outside normal baseball hotbeds, especially high school kids.  This Martin guy had all the makings of a kid that would go to college, Pirates may have lucked out that he wanted to sign as opposed to play collegiate ball.  Looks like they've netted a legit power hitting prospect, he should fly up their prospect rankings.

Another interesting GCL prospect:

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?si ... g/2017/ALL

This kid also just turned 18 out of the DR.  Playing SS, he's listed at 6'0 170Lbs, guessing he might grow out of SS.  Either way, the Low A WV squad is going to exciting to watch next year.

thanks for highlighting him. Could be because they have lots of young players but right now he has started6 games at short, 4 at third and 8 at second. 2 errors at third and 3 at short, none at second so far.
steve49

Mason Martin

Post by steve49 »

506D737E717B70527A6D7C7A7B1F0 wrote: I think it's really hard to scout players when they're outside normal baseball hotbeds, especially high school kids.  This Martin guy had all the makings of a kid that would go to college, Pirates may have lucked out that he wanted to sign as opposed to play collegiate ball.  Looks like they've netted a legit power hitting prospect, he should fly up their prospect rankings.

This kid also just turned 18 out of the DR.  Playing SS, he's listed at 6'0 170Lbs, guessing he might grow out of SS.  Either way, the Low A WV squad is going to exciting to watch next year.

Check out Lo Lo Sanchez. They paid him 450K to sign in 2015. Also just 18 years old and is really coming on also.
OrlandoMerced

Mason Martin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

6463726172232E170 wrote: I think it's really hard to scout players when they're outside normal baseball hotbeds, especially high school kids.  This Martin guy had all the makings of a kid that would go to college, Pirates may have lucked out that he wanted to sign as opposed to play collegiate ball.  Looks like they've netted a legit power hitting prospect, he should fly up their prospect rankings.

Check out Lo Lo Sanchez. They paid him 450K to sign in 2015. Also just 18 years old and is really coming on also.

Yep, Pirates Prospects has been on the Lolo train this year. He also looks like a prospect, Rodolfo is having a better season, and was a better hitter in the DSL last year, but I'm just scouting the box score, all this is doing for me is creating a list of guys to track in WV or Bristol next year. It will be telling which 18 year old GCL guys they promote to Low-A for 2018. I know that they moved Hayes and Tucker to Low-A in their first full season, and it seems like they tend to move their GCL guys that come from the DSL to Bristol after the GCL, but I think it would be pretty rad to move that group up all together (Lolo, Rodolfo, Mason Martin, Cal Mitchell and Uselton).
OrlandoMerced

Mason Martin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Out of curiosity, does anyone else look at Milb.com box scores everyday?
OrlandoMerced

Mason Martin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

A few other notable prospects having strong Julys.

Jerick Suiter in AA, Will Craig and Ke'Bryan Hayes in A+ and Luis Escobar in low-A. I think Luis getting back on track is important, he still has some control problems that he'll eventually need to correct before he becomes a top prospect. I fear Hayes' lack of power could make him a marginal MLB prospect at best, but he's still only 20 and seems to have some good hit skill. Craig is beginning to look like a real masher and could have a real breakout in Altoona next year.

Guys are going to start log jamming soon, especially at AAA, it would be interesting to see what they could get with a package of like Williams/Kuhl + Brault/Kingham + Hayes/Kramer.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Mason Martin

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4B7668656A606B496176676160040 wrote: Out of curiosity, does anyone else look at Milb.com box scores everyday?

Not since the Pirates mattered since 2011.
Ecbucs

Mason Martin

Post by Ecbucs »

I read the minor league report on Bucs Dugout most days and check the box scores from it. Thanks for the update Orlando.
ScottinMass

Mason Martin

Post by ScottinMass »

2F120C010E040F2D0512030504600 wrote: Out of curiosity, does anyone else look at Milb.com box scores everyday?
I follow them pretty closely. Usually run thru each team's in game box score 2 or 3 times a night while the Pirates are on.