Huntington on fan today...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

292C2B2D252F362B2231373A430 wrote: People should save their outrage for the off-season.  That's when you upgrade your team.  The trade deadline is when you just need that extra little boost.  We are not there and we should not mortgage the future to chase false hope.

LOL When we do nothing in the offseason, the saying then is just see what we HAVE and then add appropriately at the deadline (like NH always has!!).  Rinse and repeat. 

round and round we go, when we win a division, nobody knows.

Not to mention, doing nothing to improve and then NOT trading Nicasio??   are you kidding me?  Holding onto Nicasio the way he's pitched in a walk year for him?  How is that even defensible with all the bullpen pitchers flying around this deadline.   

It's outrageous that we aren't trying to win this year, and held onto Nicasio.

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

His answer would be that he didn't get any good offers, and without him saying what he was offered, it's impossible to say whether we would agree.  Maybe Nicassio will clear waivers and we can trade him this month.

Something needs to be done this off-season to either go for a full rebuild or honestly try to win it all in McCutchen's last year.  More of the wishy-washy nonsense of this past season will not leave me a happy fan.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

28232B272223387D7B0C352D242323622F234C0 wrote: I tried to paraphrase as I listened.  Not my opinion, what Huntington said above the line:

He said he didn't trade for an outfielder when Polanco got hurt because it was a short term and the asking price was too high.  He said it was a buyer's market on July 30th and July 31st. 

April 18th, there was no market for an outfielder.  They explored a bunch of Triple A players to call up.  Decided to go with Jaso and Frazier since no one was available.  No teams were willing to trade at that time.  Felt the internal options were just as good as who was available.

They knew Kang could miss the entire season and next season.  They couldn't make a trade as most trades at that time are baseball trades for both teams.  Felt Freese and Harrison could handle third base.  Looking back on it, Kang and Marte hurt big time.  The asking price was too high at the times.

Luplow got the call because of the short window and could give them a spark.  Luplow was hitting well.  It just didn't happen. 

Ratings are down and attendance is down.  They are aware.  They are aware how they have fallen short.  They know fans want more.

Question: What happened to the money saved on Kang, Marte, and Liriano?  Huntington said the Liriano money went into Hudson, Freese, and Nova.  The other money saved, they didn't see a fit for anyone (Kang and Marte).

They do not discuss contract talk when asked if McCutchen was offered or if any talks started.

Over valuing prospects and they don't make it?  His response was how it is hard to evaluate.  He named a bunch of players that could have been traded but then they wouldn't have had those same players to win when they did.

Huntington is also sick of next year philosophy.  Played meaningful baseball in September many years, just didn't get over the top.  Compared the percentages of payrolls with Big Ben and Sidney Crosby. 

Was asking price really that high?  Just said how it is different as the deadline approaches.  Claims he was in on all of those guys.  Some guys were offered were liked better.  People have different ranking of players/prospects. 

Not looking ahead to 2018.  They are still going to fight this year.  Explained their record against the top teams.  Still focused on 2017.  Not until the season is over will they look at 2018.

Huntington said he thinks the team is better now with Polanco coming back.  Felt he replaced Watson with the Beniot trade.  Why he didn't trade the other guys with expiring contracts.

I kind of summarized Huntington to the best I could as I listened.  He dodged some questions for sure.  He also answered a few questions with answers from other questions. 

I didn't like the percentage of payroll answer.  Big Ben and Crosby are in a leagues with salary caps.  It should be harder to build around them than a McCutchen, who has no salary cap.

He did say how the market changed a few times from July 22nd - July 31st.  Trading for Nunez was asked a few times, with the same answer.  Personally, I didn't care for Nunez.

I hope that helps.

Most people know Benoit doesn't replace even an average Watson. He can't sell me anything he is saying based on the state of the franchise and ownership. So, Cutch will have to take less to resign? Maybe he should have traded Cutch, who happens to have his highest value in the last 1.5 years. Now, he probably gets nothing in return because he will hold onto him thinking 2018 is the year. Still thinking 2017? He didn't get a starting pitcher for the rotation. So, there goes 2017.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4B4E494F474D544940535558210 wrote: His answer would be that he didn't get any good offers, and without him saying what he was offered, it's impossible to say whether we would agree.  Maybe Nicassio will clear waivers and we can trade him this month.

Something needs to be done this off-season to either go for a full rebuild or honestly try to win it all in McCutchen's last year.  More of the wishy-washy nonsense of this past season will not leave me a happy fan.

I think most people know nothing will change in the offseason meaning no notable help will be acquired or signed as free agents. They have to move Cutch in the offseason. If you aren't going to pony up on the shortcomings of this roster (add a good 4th starter, sorry Kuhl is a 5), then what's the point?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

595C5B5D555F465B5241474A330 wrote: People should save their outrage for the off-season.  That's when you upgrade your team.  The trade deadline is when you just need that extra little boost.  We are not there and we should not mortgage the future to chase false hope.

Do you have faith in ownership and our GM to do quality work in the offseason? They won't sign a notable FA that will help. The only way they have a chance to acquire talent is via trades. I don't have a good feeling about this offseason relative to that. This was the time to make some deals.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

2A2F282E262C352821323439400 wrote: His answer would be that he didn't get any good offers, and without him saying what he was offered, it's impossible to say whether we would agree.  Maybe Nicassio will clear waivers and we can trade him this month.

Then he would be lying. Which would be nothing new.
mouse

Post by mouse »

What I hear on the MLB network is that Huntingdon has the reputation of being hard to deal with - that is, he overvalues (?) his players and won't budge. That can work if you have a player people really want (Melancon at the last deadline). But on the whole, you are going to make a steal each time. Teams will just deal with someone else.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4641575F5146010D745359555D581A575B59340 wrote: Excellent summary of the Huntington interview Dog you pretty much hit every point spot on. My apologies to you.

Thanks.  I am just as disappointed as everyone else in this season, I just don't get the outrage (like I have said) on July 31st.  I don't get "shocked" when I expect things to happen.  I don't feel I am an apologist, I just like to understand the moves.

I felt Huntington, who was getting slammed with questions harshly, answered those big questions for me (replacing Kang and Marte).  I also assumed his answer was the case too.  I know people won't believe him, but that is what he said. 

Why did you keep saying you don't get "the outrage"?  I've tried to answer this and you didn't respond.  So I'll do it again.

Because what happened is what most expected. Even yourself said you didn't expect any big moves or many trades.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

313A323E3B3A216462152C343D3A3A7B363A550 wrote: Excellent summary of the Huntington interview Dog you pretty much hit every point spot on. My apologies to you.

Thanks.  I am just as disappointed as everyone else in this season, I just don't get the outrage (like I have said) on July 31st.  I don't get "shocked" when I expect things to happen.  I don't feel I am an apologist, I just like to understand the moves.

I felt Huntington, who was getting slammed with questions harshly, answered those big questions for me (replacing Kang and Marte).  I also assumed his answer was the case too.  I know people won't believe him, but that is what he said. 

Why did you keep saying you don't get "the outrage"?  I've tried to answer this and you didn't respond.  So I'll do it again.

Because what happened is what most expected.  Even yourself said you didn't expect any big moves or many trades. 

But that's not the same as being satisfied. What I thought would happen, happened. But I still have to give Neal the chance. Once the deadline closes we have the opportunity to evaluate.

You, for example, have justified inactivity in the winter by stating Neal will make mid-course corrections at the deadline. Now that the deadline passes and nothing was done you tell us that there's no need to "be outraged" cause we knew nothing was going to happen!

You do see the rather obvious circle? If you don't want to be thought of as an apologist you could begin by acknowledging the FO failed in your expectations as well instead of telling us to be patient (winter) and quit complaining (July).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I never said I was satisfied with the season or the moves. Never. I understand the moves. It is not apologizing either.

This season is a failure. Again, I never said it wasn't. I blame that more on Marte and Kang than anything. This team was pretty good in my opinion assuming Kang was coming soon. Kang never happened, then Marte happened. No team can lose their two best hitters and win. No team. I understand that.

There were a few threads about trades and many said how nothing will happen and only Watson will be dealt. Watson was dealt. Then it was a big shock to some and people were outraged. Yet, most knew that was the move after losing six of seven on that west coast trip.

I play the Powerball. I certainly don't get up in arms when I lose every week (twice a week).

I wanted Kang replaced big time. I was very outspoken about it. I just said how the Liriano signing was a bad one and people got on me for that? I call it as I see it. I am a Pirates fan. I am not for or against the ownership like some have taken sides. If they do something I don't like, I will say it. But if they do good things, I will also defend that too.