extend Cutch at a decent price or trade him undervalued?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4D4F555345200 wrote: I would say it depends on what offers they get. Unfortunately, I don't believe the underlying assumption here (that the team will discover its misplaced financial flexibility -- I fully expect a budget cut next year due to attendance) and for teams that are totally dependent on their minor league system, you can't fall in love with your players. You have to gather prospects for the system however you can, and trading a good player is the way to do that. If you could get really good prospects by trading Jaso, I would say go for it. But you don't. You have to trade something to get something.

You're right. I'm trading the piece that brings the most return - Marte. Keeping Cutch.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

566468687C4E6D64696C6364050 wrote: You know what?  I'm going to the camp of wanting to sign him forever.  I want to be an old(er) man that makes my way to PNC park to see the Cutch statue unveiled. 

But that's sentimental and bad, people say.  What do you get out of that if it doesn't help you win a World Series, they say.  Well, BASEBALL is sentimental.  What does any of us really get out of a WS win?  Sentimentality, that's about it.  Baseball is pointless if you really want to break it down--no amount of wins are going to actually net any of us anything concrete in the end.   Just feelings and memories.

Screw it.  I want my nephews and nieces to some day tell their kids about the time they saw the great Pirate Andrew McCutchen take the field. 

You know, that's a really good post. I'd rather watch the Pirates scratch for .500 with Cutch than with Marte (for example).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Austin Meadows comes into play too. If he was healthy and dominating Triple A, I would feel differently about the current outfield. Meadows isn't a player that should be blocked. He is special talent and should be ready very soon. I hope he can come up in September.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

55676B6B7F4D6E676A6F6067060 wrote: You know what?  I'm going to the camp of wanting to sign him forever.  I want to be an old(er) man that makes my way to PNC park to see the Cutch statue unveiled. 

But that's sentimental and bad, people say.  What do you get out of that if it doesn't help you win a World Series, they say.  Well, BASEBALL is sentimental.  What does any of us really get out of a WS win?  Sentimentality, that's about it.  Baseball is pointless if you really want to break it down--no amount of wins are going to actually net any of us anything concrete in the end.   Just feelings and memories.

Screw it.  I want my nephews and nieces to some day tell their kids about the time they saw the great Pirate Andrew McCutchen take the field. 

I agree with this. I think to sign Cutch the Bucs will need to go to 20 million a year. I would offer 100 million for 5 years and then cheaper options buy outs for a couple years after that to show that I want him to finish his career as a Pirate. If he has a season similar to this year in 2018 he will get well over 100 million from someone.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Do a front loaded contract. Offer $22-$25 million in the next few years, but lower it as he gets older.

I am not sure if someone who has money would do this. Players like to have increases in pay. In the long run, he would still get the same amount of money. It would be smart by the player if they want to play for a contender and get traded down the road if their team isn't in it. It is easier to trade for a lower priced player. Also easier to add to their current team with a lower payroll.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Cutch is significantly underpaid judging by market salaries.

With the exception of last year; he is a 20+million dollar a year star. He was the face of baseball when he was MVP. He is certainly the face of the Pirates. He is the only player that makes the Pirates relevant in the eyes of the casual fan. He has represented Pittsburgh with dignity.

Don't count Cutch out. Just as he has turned his season around, I believe he can play another 4-5 years at a high level. Clemente produced good stats when he was 36. Cutch and Clemente have very similar body types.

I grew up watching Stargell and Clemente. They were once in a generation players and lifetime Pirates. McCutchen is the current generational player. The FO without even blinking should make him a lifetime Pirate. I have said before that I would like to see his statue join Wagner, Maz, Stargell, and Clemente outside PNC Park.

(I would prefer a version with his trademark dreadlocks)
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

4E68697E68780B0 wrote: You know what?  I'm going to the camp of wanting to sign him forever.  I want to be an old(er) man that makes my way to PNC park to see the Cutch statue unveiled. 

I agree with this.  I think to sign Cutch the Bucs will need to go to 20 million a year.  I would offer 100 million for 5 years and then cheaper options buy outs for a couple years after that to show that I want him to finish his career as a Pirate.  If he has a season similar to this year in 2018 he will get well over 100 million from someone.

I agree with the sentiment.  I was 9 years old in 1979.  Willie Stargell was 39 and having a very good year.  It was the first time I realty followed baseball.  By that time his legend had already been established.  He was Pops.  He was Pittsburgh.  I'd love for McCutchen play every single game of his career as a Pirate and NEVER wear any other uniform.  I very much doubt that can happen under the current management.  He is making $14.5M his last year.  I would offer 5/$87.5 which is $17.5M per year but I would be willing to go up to 5/$100M you suggest.   If he wants to stay we should be able to get a deal done in that range.  If money is not the only consideration. Yes, he could get more elsewhere, but does he really want to be a Pirate forever or not?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

McCutchen can also decide to stay and lower his price. He could accept the same deal he accepted years ago. He is still set up for life, very well paid.

Many Pittsburgh players have taken that route. Sidney Crosby is underpaid compared to his peers. Big Ben has restructured his contract many times. Why not McCutchen too?

I am not saying McCutchen should do that. I have no idea what he thinks he is worth. Just saying other legends in Pittsburgh have done this. McCutchen should be no different if he truly wants to stay. At least, I would hope.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

Cutch had one down year and is now playing at an MVP level once again. He is only 30 years old. I would assume that his troubles are behind him. He is the NL leader in Avg./Obp./Slg. since June 1st. That is no longer a SSS. He is on pace for 33 hr's and 102 rbi's. His ISO is at the highest level of his career. The strikeouts are down. He is more selective than any point of his career. He is going to be very, very good for a least another 3-4 years and probably still above average offensively for several years after that. He is the face of the franchise and brought them out of obscurity. I want to see a statue in front of PNC. I said 4/75. I would rather it be for all of his playing days but I know that won't happen and he is probably gone after this season.
sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

0A283B26252027280B3C2A2A26490 wrote: I've said that I would definitely try to sign Cutch to an extension, and I'm sticking with it.

I'd be willing to sign him to a 4-year extension under the following plan/hope:

* That I could still get one very good (2019) and one good (2020) year out of him.

* And that I would not expect much in 2021 and 2022, but I'd be willing to pay him his money almost as a tribute and thank you for his greatness, his service to the organization and the city, and in recognition of what may be a Hall of Fame career. In other words, I'd basically eat the final 2 years of his contract without expecting much in return. Anything he provides is a basically a bonus.

That's how I would handle it.

I know the Pirates can afford to do it.

I also know there is ZERO chance of the Pirates doing that.

I share the thoughts that the FO will not pay him....that's why I voted trade him. I think what we see now, is what we get for years to come. A decent team that if over performs, puts people in the seat and makes them more money. Heck, they might get lucky some year and win it all, but like I said, that would be all luck due to the lack of interest in making this team better.