No Deal Neal and Bottom Line Bob

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Kinda funny Keuchel complaining the Astros didn't make a DL deal when they have the 2nd best record in MLB.
BenM

Post by BenM »

674A47565140571714250 wrote: Kinda funny Keuchel complaining the Astros didn't make a DL deal when they have the 2nd best record in MLB.

He watched the team with the best record make a deal. There's almost always room for improvement.
LumberCo

Post by LumberCo »

the bucs have done nothing the last two winters other than rake in a few rejects that no one else wanted.  Nutting is the cancer!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6373724553535F300 wrote: Houston personnel and players are asking the same questions. They have a ton of prospects and didn't add anyone either. Their star player spoke up about getting Liriano and not a real bullpen pitcher.

Houston really didn't need to make a drastic move IMO.

You don't think they could have made a trade for a RP for their average bullpen? They are up 11 games or so, but their bullpen has been their weakness. We all know they have the prospects.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if we found out NH turned down a deal with Houston for Nicascio? It wouldn't surprise me as Juan was expendable;e but NH didn't see a "fit".  What a crock. I'm sure they tried.  That said, they are one of the best teams there is.  I'd much rather be Houston than Pittsburgh.  Not close either.  I'm jealous of Houston.

Do you see any comparisons from what Houston is doing now to what the Pirates just did up to two years ago?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

242F272B2E2F347177003921282F2F6E232F400 wrote: Houston personnel and players are asking the same questions. They have a ton of prospects and didn't add anyone either. Their star player spoke up about getting Liriano and not a real bullpen pitcher.

You don't think they could have made a trade for a RP for their average bullpen? They are up 11 games or so, but their bullpen has been their weakness. We all know they have the prospects.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if we found out NH turned down a deal with Houston for Nicascio? It wouldn't surprise me as Juan was expendable;e but NH didn't see a "fit".  What a crock. I'm sure they tried.  That said, they are one of the best teams there is.  I'd much rather be Houston than Pittsburgh.  Not close either.  I'm jealous of Houston.

Do you see any comparisons from what Houston is doing now to what the Pirates just did up to two years ago?

The Astros are going to win their division.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

747F777B7E7F642127506971787F7F3E737F100 wrote: Houston personnel and players are asking the same questions. They have a ton of prospects and didn't add anyone either. Their star player spoke up about getting Liriano and not a real bullpen pitcher.

No. One is running away with the division and the other was in a battle.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

No comparison at all?  This is what I mean about being fair.

New owner took over a last place team a few years removed from a World Series loss.  Meaning, there was some talent to deal. 

Won 50 games, then 70 games, then had a winning record.  They lost in the playoffs.  Last year, they had a winning record, but missed the playoffs.  This year, they are wining again in a weak division with the best record in baseball. 

So, they rebuilt from a last place team (two seasons winning 50 some games).  Now, they are on their third winning season in a row and will (should) make the playoffs.  Three losing seasons for their owner and now three winning seasons in a row. 

No one sees how this compares to what the Pirates did recently?  And people are jealous?

The Pirates had a much longer path in rebuilding.  New owner came in, lost for five seasons, but was competitive in the last two years ('11,'12).  Then went on to win and made the playoffs three years in a row in the toughest division in baseball.

I wonder if the Astros followed the Pirates rebuilding process?  They certainly are doing it right as the Pirates just did what they did / are doing.  But no one sees the comparison?

The Astros fans aren't too happy that they didn't add to make their team even better (any comparison yet?).  Star player even spoke up too (McCutchen's instagram?).  They held onto their prospects.  I hope that doesn't hurt as that certainly hurt the Pirates in their stretch of winning.

Oh yeah, the Astros have never won a World Series in 55 years.  The Pirates have two in that time (3 in 57 years).  I am rooting for them this year.  I hope they get hot come playoff time.

mouse

Post by mouse »

I agree on the whole, unless you are implying there at the end that the Pirates did not do it right. It took a little longer as they didn't have the initial talent and no farm system. They had to do their buildup from the very bottom. They then had three winning seasons and could easily have gone to the World Series. They just had the bad luck of running into a team that was better record-wise (the Astros haven't had that issue) and a team that had a pitcher on an incredible hot streak. In other words, they did everything right, they just hit a steak of incredibly bad luck.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Pirates also won 94, 88, 98 games in their stretch. The Astros won 86 and 84 before this year.

I am a believer that anyone can advance in the playoffs and the World Series. All very good teams make the playoffs.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

39323A363332296C6A1D243C353232733E325D0 wrote: No comparison at all?  This is what I mean about being fair.

New owner took over a last place team a few years removed from a World Series loss.  Meaning, there was some talent to deal. 

Won 50 games, then 70 games, then had a winning record.  They lost in the playoffs.  Last year, they had a winning record, but missed the playoffs.  This year, they are wining again in a weak division with the best record in baseball. 

So, they rebuilt from a last place team (two seasons winning 50 some games).  Now, they are on their third winning season in a row and will (should) make the playoffs.  Three losing seasons for their owner and now three winning seasons in a row. 

No one sees how this compares to what the Pirates did recently?  And people are jealous?

The Pirates had a much longer path in rebuilding.  New owner came in, lost for five seasons, but was competitive in the last two years ('11,'12).  Then went on to win and made the playoffs three years in a row in the toughest division in baseball.

I wonder if the Astros followed the Pirates rebuilding process?  They certainly are doing it right as the Pirates just did what they did / are doing.  But no one sees the comparison?

The Astros fans aren't too happy that they didn't add to make their team even better (any comparison yet?).  Star player even spoke up too (McCutchen's instagram?).  They held onto their prospects.  I hope that doesn't hurt as that certainly hurt the Pirates in their stretch of winning.

Oh yeah, the Astros have never won a World Series in 55 years.  The Pirates have two in that time (3 in 57 years).  I am rooting for them this year.  I hope they get hot come playoff time.

Very few comparisons champ.  Let's be reasonable.  One has a huge lead to WIN the division while the other was just hoping to hang on to a wild card.  It would have been nice if Houston added a reliever, but its not imperative.  Again, I'm sure they tried, but GMs like NH didn't see a fit, which is a joke, especially on an expiring contract for a piece with an expiring contract  that could have brought a decent prospect

Let's not make this a comparison on history.  Let's make this a comparison on rosters now and where they stand.  There is zero comparison between the two.  That is all that matters.

Kansas City is the closest comparison, but not really comparable when you look at things. Similar histories; similar small market situations and both struggled for years. The only difference, KC made the moves to put them in position to win the title and Pittsburgh didn't.