The Rest of the Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Rest of the Season

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

67405155504D72465150504D340 wrote: I definitely don't play Jaso anymore. Once again last night he basically jogged out of the box on one ball he hit to first that Gonzalez bobbled but still got the out while the Pirates scored a run. Jaso clearly saw Gonzalez bobble the ball and he made absolutely no effort what so ever to hustle down to first to beat it out. I wish they would put Jaso on waivers and somebody would claim him cause I am totally done with him.

I don't want Jaso to play much either, but it has nothing to do with his lack of hustle. Jaso is one who puts in the effort when he plays. Saying he doesn't hustle is incorrect. And to say "once again" is very incorrect too meaning it happens all the time.
Bobster21

The Rest of the Season

Post by Bobster21 »

6F646C6065647F3A3C4B726A6364642568640B0 wrote: I definitely don't play Jaso anymore. Once again last night he basically jogged out of the box on one ball he hit to first that Gonzalez bobbled but still got the out while the Pirates scored a run. Jaso clearly saw Gonzalez bobble the ball and he made absolutely no effort what so ever to hustle down to first to beat it out. I wish they would put Jaso on waivers and somebody would claim him cause I am totally done with him.

I don't want Jaso to play much either, but it has nothing to do with his lack of hustle.  Jaso is one who puts in the effort when he plays.  Saying he doesn't hustle is incorrect.  And to say "once again" is very incorrect too meaning it happens all the time.

Jaso has been guilty of casually jogging to 1B on ground balls a couple times that I've seen.
SCBucco

The Rest of the Season

Post by SCBucco »

7E514647514D5F57340 wrote: Let's see what we've got

With Polanco on DL, Osuna should be out there everyday - Jaso PH

Harrison, Frazier, Freese = merry go round between 3b and 2b

Brault gets some starts with a 6 man rotation - I think if we yo yo him after starting all year in Indy, he gets injured. He has been durable thus far

Diaz catches, Stew gets 1 start a week, preferably on a Tuesday

What do you think?

Pretty much this.  I really can't find anything wrong with this.  Diaz is a major upgrade over Stewart right off the bat.  Osuna has showed me enough to think he can be a competent major leaguer.  He needs more playing time. I would see what Brault can give as a starter. To me, there is very little difference between him, Kuhl and Williams. Hopefully we get a good fourth starter in the offseason and let these three battle for the fifth spot.
MaineBucs

The Rest of the Season

Post by MaineBucs »

# 1 - I shut Tallion down for a while and give his starts to Brault in the short term and after September 1, perhaps to Glasnow as well.

# 2 - Diaz vs. Stewart should be a given. And, Diaz vs. Cervelli should similarly be a given. Diaz should be starting at least 4 games a week for the remainder of the season. And, let him work with all of the starters.

# 3 - Yes, Osuna should be getting more at bats. Jaso should not see the field again this year.

# 4 - Moroff should also see more reps in the field. Freese should sit more - we know what he can provide.

# 5 - Nicassio should be offered to the highest bidder.

# 6 - I would continue to pitch Hudson in the hopes that he shows some ability to get folks out and in the hopes that someone will trade for him (take his salary) this off-season.

# 7 - I also skip Cole and Nova in the rotation when it is convenient to give more starts to Brault, Tallion and maybe even Kingham or Holmes.

Hard to accept that the season is effectively coming to close in mid-August.
mouse

The Rest of the Season

Post by mouse »

These varying comments might make good baseball sense, but if there is any place where veteranosity is more appreciated than in Hurdle's dugout, it's in the halls of the MLB Players Association. Since the contracts the players get are so tied to playing stats, there is no way the Association would hold still for sitting veteran players just because it might help a team plan for the following year.
Bobster21

The Rest of the Season

Post by Bobster21 »

292B313721440 wrote: These varying comments might make good baseball sense, but if there is any place where veteranosity is more appreciated than in Hurdle's dugout, it's in the halls of the MLB Players Association. Since the contracts the players get are so tied to playing stats, there is  no way the Association would hold still for sitting veteran players just because it might help a team plan for the following year.
Yeah. Hurdle is the guy who early in the season said it would be unfair to use Watson in non-save situations because he wanted to give him every opportunity to build up his save numbers to enhance his free agent status next year. I just shake my head at the mind-numbing evidence that Hurdle does not even put a priority on winning games.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Rest of the Season

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4B49535543260 wrote: These varying comments might make good baseball sense, but if there is any place where veteranosity is more appreciated than in Hurdle's dugout, it's in the halls of the MLB Players Association. Since the contracts the players get are so tied to playing stats, there is  no way the Association would hold still for sitting veteran players just because it might help a team plan for the following year.

Yeah, but this happens all the time in other parts of the season. Players are called up from the minors and play. Younger players are just better at times and play too.

What about when a player is traded to a diminished role? Players get traded from Closers to set up men and starters to bench players all the time.

How can the Union police this? It doesn't look like they have in the past.
SteadyFreddy

The Rest of the Season

Post by SteadyFreddy »

4F636B6C6740776171020 wrote: # 1 - I shut Tallion down for a while and give his starts to Brault in the short term and after September 1, perhaps to Glasnow as well. 

# 2 - Diaz vs. Stewart should be a given.  And, Diaz vs. Cervelli should similarly be a given.  Diaz should be starting at least 4 games a week for the remainder of the season.  And, let him work with all of the starters. 

# 3 - Yes, Osuna should be getting more at bats.   Jaso should not see the field again this year.

# 4 - Moroff should also see more reps in the field.  Freese should sit more - we know what he can provide.

# 6 - I would continue to pitch Hudson in the hopes that he shows some ability to get folks out and in the hopes that someone will trade for him (take his salary) this off-season.

# 7 - I also skip Cole and Nova in the rotation when it is convenient to give more starts to Brault, Tallion and maybe even Kingham or Holmes. 

I pretty much agree with all of this and I think it all should be done immediately. It's hard to accept the fact that this season is over but being 8 games back of the Cubs with 36 games left to play is a nearly impossible deficit to make up and overcome. At the end of the day though the Pirates players and management have nobody to blame for this mess but themselves.
SCBucco

The Rest of the Season

Post by SCBucco »

0F232B2C2700372131420 wrote: # 1 - I shut Tallion down for a while and give his starts to Brault in the short term and after September 1, perhaps to Glasnow as well. 

# 2 - Diaz vs. Stewart should be a given.  And, Diaz vs. Cervelli should similarly be a given.  Diaz should be starting at least 4 games a week for the remainder of the season.  And, let him work with all of the starters. 

# 3 - Yes, Osuna should be getting more at bats.   Jaso should not see the field again this year.

# 4 - Moroff should also see more reps in the field.  Freese should sit more - we know what he can provide.

Right now ... from here on out is trying to see what you have in the kids. Diaz, Moroff, Brault, Holmes, Osuna, even Glasnow when he arrives back. We aren't in playoff contention. I really have zero clue why we have Nicascio right now. NH should have dealt him at the TDL ... that was a bad move.
johnfluharty

The Rest of the Season

Post by johnfluharty »

IMO, Hurdle will not do that unless he is told to do so by the ones that write his paycheck.