Bucs need a backup CF

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NJBucsFan

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by NJBucsFan »

I review those depth charts a good bit for opposing teams coming up, but does anyone know if they are based on anything from the team, or just somebody over at mlb.com making them up?
CarolinaBucco

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This is an issue that irritates me to no end ...

It makes ZERO sense that that didn't sign someone like Austin Jackson or Dyson ... an ACTUAL PROVEN MAJOR LEAGUE OUTFIELDER who is competent as either a spot starter or a 4th OF.

Instead the Pirates continue to be the only team ever perfectly willing to get into a season with only 2 TRUE, proven outfielders, one of whom is always injured and can't play defense, the other who is coming off an 80-game suspension. (Sorry, I don't put Frazier or Luplow in that category yet).

That doesn't strike me as a good business plan heading into the season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

They have so many bench guys now. I don't see a need for another veteran back up.

Frazier and Rodriguez will probably fill in. If there is a big, long term injury then a younger player might get the call up like Luplow or Meadows.
ArnoldRothstein

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

They'll almost certainly sign someone from the grab bag. The front office needs its little successes.
dmetz

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by dmetz »

I wouldn't sign anyone other than Dyson. You could sign him to a 3 year deal to serve as the 4th OF. You could hardly build a better one. Great defense at all 3 spot and great speed and ability to steal

Otherwise, it would just be a waste of 250 abs hurdle would give to whatever crappy veteran they bring in, in addition to Nava, who is all but guaranteed to come north.

Great thing about Nava is that he'll be on the DL alot, so at least hurdle won't be able the use him all the time

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If Nava stinks, they will just cut him like they have to so many other players they brought in. I'm not sure why so many people are up in arms over a minor league contract?
Ecbucs

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by Ecbucs »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: If Nava stinks, they will just cut him like they have to so many other players they brought in. I'm not sure why so many people are up in arms over a minor league contract?

I don't mind bringing him in on a minor league contract at all.

However, I think signing him means the Bucs are done looking at outfielders. With that perspective, I think they should have brought in someone better than Nava.

I think you are right, there is at least a 50-50 chance he will be cut before the end of April.
fjk090852-7

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by fjk090852-7 »

183E3F283E2E5D0 wrote: If Nava stinks, they will just cut him like they have to so many other players they brought in. I'm not sure why so many people are up in arms over a minor league contract?

I don't mind bringing him in on a minor league contract at all.

However, I think signing him means the Bucs are done looking at outfielders.  With that perspective, I think they should have brought in someone better than Nava.

I think you are right, there is at least a 50-50 chance he will be cut before the end of April.

I still think the Pirates will add an outfielder in the next couple weeks especially since the price to sign someone will be at a low cost. If they do sign someone Nava could be released or sent to AAA. On the other hand they could deal Harrison or Freese which would open a spot for Nava and the backup CF.
SCBucco

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by SCBucco »

7874752E272E262B2C33291E0 wrote: I totally agree they need a player who can back up Marte if he gets hurt, or when he gets a day off. Last year we played most of the season with only two regular outfielders. You would think the Pirates would learn from the previous season that they need an outfielder like Dyson, Jay,or Maybin to plug into centerfield from time to time.

The Pirates seldom learn anything from previous mistakes.
SCBucco

Bucs need a backup CF

Post by SCBucco »

28232B272223387D7B0C352D242323622F234C0 wrote: If Nava stinks, they will just cut him like they have to so many other players they brought in. I'm not sure why so many people are up in arms over a minor league contract?

Because this cheap organization is too busy bringing in non talent on minor league contracts and not addressing the key problems. They aren't solving anything. That is why.