Can a team pull together if the veterans are this grumpy?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4A4E4671677742656A040 wrote: I think Freese and Harrison (and Cole for that matter) are basically right. Ownership has let down the team, and the city in their management choices over the past few years. Through sheer neglect, a team that looked like a perennial contender just a few years ago now looks poised on the edge of another long drought.

But let's say this 2018 team actually has a .500 season in them somewhere, and this could be another 1997. Could the chemistry be so bad right now that it couldn't happen? I'm not saying the veterans shouldn't speak their minds, but what is the impact of those speeches on Bell, Taillon, etc?

I think David and JHay are giving voice to the clubhouse reality.  The young guys can see what a mess this is.

“This is a different organization, where if you get drafted, you look at a guy like Jameson Taillon: It sucks that if you pan out, you have your future written for you in an organization like this. You either fold and sign a team friendly deal, or you’re bounced out of here. I think that’s unfortunate.”

“An organization like this....”. What an eye opening statement by David.  Every young guy with a pedigree understands what it means to be drafted by the Pirates. Then they watch it live out in real time.  The pirates have made a mockery of accountability. Think about how they handled AJ.  No effort to extend Russ. Marte can play “Lucy” in the outfield and half-azz it around the bases - no consequences.  Jaso can start every other night in RF, butchering the game and mocking the fans - who in the Pirate organization gives a hoot?  Missing cut off men. Hitting the wrong bases.  Ignoring situational hitting.  Playing a half season with 2 outfielders, and a whole season with no more than three.

This is “the Pirate Way” our young guys witness.  Nobody has to tell them.  They watch it everyday. Hurdle does nothing. FO does nothing. Fans stop showing up.  It’s one big train wreck. David Freese, has finally told the young guys “this isn’t acceptable.”

Can this team squeeze out .500?  Doubtful. But if they do it will be because Feese spoke the truth and not in spite of.
Quail

Post by Quail »

This just in...JHay has doubled down on his trade demand. An article in The Athletic this morning has the details. One of the things JHay is upset about is with NH's lack of transparency in communicating a plan for the team. Here's a quote from Neal in response to Rob Biertempfel's questions about JHay's comments.

“When you announce to the world what your intentions are, you don’t always get the best results. A lack of transparency is not an intentional misleading or misrepresentation. It’s working to be the best that we can be.”

Clear as mud! Yeah, more double-speak from TBMTIB!!
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5276626A6F030 wrote: This just in...JHay has doubled down on his trade demand. An article in The Athletic this morning has the details. One of the things JHay is upset about is with NH's lack of transparency in communicating a plan for the team. Here's a quote from Neal in response to Rob Biertempfel's questions about JHay's comments.

“When you announce to the world what your intentions are, you don’t always get the best results. A lack of transparency is not an intentional misleading or misrepresentation. It’s working to be the best that we can be.”

It’s The Pirates Way.

Also, Ron Cook took Nutting to the wood shed today.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Well Clint always likes to say none of the outside noise matters outside the clubhouse and the only thing that matters is what the Men in that locker room think. Well Clint you got two pretty important men in your locker room in Freese and JHay completely ripping the team and calling out the front office. So how are you gonna spin this one when the comments coming from both Harrison and Freese are completely and totally embarrassing.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Bob Nutting is addressing the team before workouts today. I hope people speak up in front of the boss(es) too.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

303721292730777B02252F232B2E6C212D2F420 wrote: This just in...JHay has doubled down on his trade demand. An article in The Athletic this morning has the details. One of the things JHay is upset about is with NH's lack of transparency in communicating a plan for the team. Here's a quote from Neal in response to Rob Biertempfel's questions about JHay's comments.

It’s The Pirates Way. 

Also, Ron Cook took Nutting to the wood shed today.

I loved Cookie's wood shed story today.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

656E666A6F6E753036417860696E6E2F626E010 wrote: Bob Nutting is addressing the team before workouts today.  I hope people speak up in front of the boss(es) too.

Nutting isn't fooling the fan base, well, at least most of us. I doubt he is fooling the vets on this team. The younger guys don't know any better. They haven't been around long enough. I'm sure some pointed questions will be asked by the appropriate people.
PMike

Post by PMike »

One of Freese's comments was about watching players on the bench goofing around and having fun as they were losing to the Cubs and Maddon 10-2 last year. I have a real issue with him for deciding to rant on the team and organization to the media now with all of that stuff on his chest. If he is such a leader, he should have addressed it as he saw it coming. If he saw guys goofing around in a 10-2 loss, WS MVP Freese should have gone over and shot it down. A leader changes moral and demonstrates optimistic and realistic leadership. A leader does not complain to the media about it a year later.

Maybe he did those things and couldn't affect change. If that's that case, than I'm wrong.

I agree with everything he said. I agree with Harrison. We all do. We are all sick of seeing this team be controlled by an owner who will never invest enough resources into it to win. We are all sick of watching the FO mismanage the little resources they are allowed to control. We are all sick of watching the players play below expectations. However, I just can't see much good with players on the team speaking out against the FO, the management and coaches and their teammates. This is so dysfunctional.

If I were a reporter, I'd ask both Freese and Harrison how they think a person fixes the problems at hand? What do they (Freese and Harrison) need to do to solve these problems? I think that question was asked to Freese and he barely answered it turning it quickly around on the whole organization. Again, he's not wrong, but I didn't hear him take much responsibility or contribute to solving the problems. Leaders don't complain about problems, they solve them
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

120F2B2927420 wrote: One of Freese's comments was about watching players on the bench goofing around and having fun as they were losing to the Cubs and Maddon 10-2 last year.  I have a real issue with him for deciding to rant on the team and organization to the media now with all of that stuff on his chest.  If he is such a leader, he should have addressed it as he saw it coming.  If he saw guys goofing around in a 10-2 loss, WS MVP Freese should have gone over and shot it down.  A leader changes moral and demonstrates optimistic and realistic leadership.  A leader does not complain to the media about it a year later.

Maybe he did those things and couldn't affect change.  If that's that case, than I'm wrong.

I agree with everything he said.  I agree with Harrison.  We all do.  We are all sick of seeing this team be controlled by an owner who will never invest enough resources into it to win.  We are all sick of watching the FO mismanage the little resources they are allowed to control.  We are all sick of watching the players play below expectations.  However, I just can't see much good with players on the team speaking out against the FO, the management and coaches and their teammates.  This is so dysfunctional.

If I were a reporter, I'd ask both Freese and Harrison how they think a person fixes the problems at hand?  What do they (Freese and Harrison) need to do to solve these problems?  I think that question was asked to Freese and he barely answered it turning it quickly around on the whole organization.  Again, he's not wrong, but I didn't hear him take much responsibility or contribute to solving the problems.  Leaders don't complain about problems, they solve them Doesn’t Hurdle have to take responsibility for guys laughing and joking around when it’s 10-2 more than a guy like David Freese?? You make a good point when you say maybe Freese did address it and nothing was done. We’ll never know they for sure. But I’m putting a lack of focus and a mindset of not believing this team can win everyday more on Hurdle then a guy like Freese or JHay.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

04193D3F31540 wrote: One of Freese's comments was about watching players on the bench goofing around and having fun as they were losing to the Cubs and Maddon 10-2 last year.  I have a real issue with him for deciding to rant on the team and organization to the media now with all of that stuff on his chest.  If he is such a leader, he should have addressed it as he saw it coming.  If he saw guys goofing around in a 10-2 loss, WS MVP Freese should have gone over and shot it down.  A leader changes moral and demonstrates optimistic and realistic leadership.  A leader does not complain to the media about it a year later.

Maybe he did those things and couldn't affect change.  If that's that case, than I'm wrong.

I agree with everything he said.  I agree with Harrison.  We all do.  We are all sick of seeing this team be controlled by an owner who will never invest enough resources into it to win.  We are all sick of watching the FO mismanage the little resources they are allowed to control.  We are all sick of watching the players play below expectations.  However, I just can't see much good with players on the team speaking out against the FO, the management and coaches and their teammates.  This is so dysfunctional.

If I were a reporter, I'd ask both Freese and Harrison how they think a person fixes the problems at hand?  What do they (Freese and Harrison) need to do to solve these problems?  I think that question was asked to Freese and he barely answered it turning it quickly around on the whole organization.  Again, he's not wrong, but I didn't hear him take much responsibility or contribute to solving the problems.  Leaders don't complain about problems, they solve them

100% agree with this.