8/17 vs Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by steve49 »

57507C6B7D1E0 wrote: 18 straight scoreless innings.  This steak needs to end now.

No need to worry ... it will eventually end.
CarolinaBucco

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Unreal. Looks like we're going to give up a grand total of 2 runs in 2 days to a very good hitting team ... and lose both games.

And Lester and Hamels are not exactly Koufax and Randy Johnson. They are both above average, at best.

Problem is, our offense stinks and against left-handers it's absolutely embarrassing.
rucker59@gmail.com

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Bottom of the 8th, one out and one on. Down 1-0.

Does anyone doubt the Pirates are about to hit jnto their 6th dp of the game?

5 dp through 7!
rucker59@gmail.com

8/17 vs Cubs

On cue: make that 6 double plays in 8 innings.
Ecbucs

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by Ecbucs »

2C2B3D353B2C6B671E39333F3732703D31335E0 wrote: On cue: make that 6 double plays in 8 innings.

maybe they can get a record (would be nice to score at least one run first)
rucker59@gmail.com

8/17 vs Cubs

How can Marte be so good and then so bad? That had to be one of the ugliest SO ever.
JollyRoger

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by JollyRoger »

Marte once again swings at a pitch 2 feet outside and strikes out.

Friggin dude has no plate discipline.

I would either bench him the next game or better yet; tell him next game you are not to swing at a single pitch.
CarolinaBucco

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by CarolinaBucco »

1-0 and 1-0, both on solo homers. Unreal

Most Pirates thing ever will be when we break out and score 5 runs tomorrow ... and give up 6.

SteadyFreddy

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Ever since the Clay Holmes debacle a week ago the Pirates have now lost 5 in a row and 6 of their last 7 overall. Not saying this is the main reason for this current losing streak they are in but it sure didn’t help things and Hurdle giving both pitchers and his hitters extra rest has done NOTHING for this team at all. So now at 61–62 with 39 games remaining and just about 7 games out of the wildcard Hurdle pretty soon can rest all the guys he wants in September. I’m being dead serious about this too. If this team is out of it in September which they most likely will be I’m shutting Taillon down, Musgrove down, and anybody else who looks like they can be in the rotation next year. You were obsessed with your rest Clint well don’t worry your players and especially pitchers will get plenty of it come September. I absolutely hate the way this team is managed and I desperately hope somehow someway they do a complete and total overhaul of the entire coaching staff because I think it’s time for a change. Clint and this staff need to go.
Bobster21

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

092E3F3B3E231C283F3E3E235A0 wrote: Ever since the Clay Holmes debacle a week ago the Pirates have now lost 5 in a row and 6 of their last 7 overall. Not saying this is the main reason for this current losing streak they are in but it sure didn’t help things and Hurdle giving both pitchers and his hitters extra rest has done NOTHING for this team at all. So now at 61–62 with 39 games remaining and just about 7 games out of the wildcard Hurdle pretty soon can rest all the guys he wants in September. I’m being dead serious about this too. If this team is out of it in September which they most likely will be I’m shutting Taillon down, Musgrove down, and anybody else who looks like they can be in the rotation next year. You were obsessed with your rest Clint well don’t worry your players and especially pitchers will get plenty of it come September. I absolutely hate the way this team is managed and I desperately hope somehow someway they do a complete and total overhaul of the entire coaching staff because I think it’s time for a change. Clint and this staff need to go.
I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the players became very disheartened when they saw Hurdle throw in the towel in the Holmes game the day after they had climbed back to 4 games over .500, which equaled their season high since May. The Bucs scored 10 runs that day but were unable to overcome their manager's obvious disinterest in winning. Since then they've scored 13 runs in 6 games while averaging 7 hits a game. Of course there are multiple factors. Like individual slumps or the pitchers they face or their inability to hit LHPs. But coming directly on the heels of Hurdle clearly giving away a game they couldn't afford to give away, I wonder if the energy was just sapped right out of the Pirate hitters. It can't help to be in the clubhouse before a game and trying to get yourself mentally ready to give it your best but knowing the manager doesn't particularly care and is apt to make decisions to prevent his own players from winning.