Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by DemDog »

Dickerson - 7

Marte - 8

Polanco - 9

Freese - 5

Cervelli - 2 (until he takes a shot off the mask)

Bell - 3

J-Hay - 4

Hechavarria - 6

Williams - 1

No Newman?

No SRod? forgot he is on the DL - Whoopee!
CarolinaBucco

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This team is so bad vs. left-handers.

Well they're not that good to begin with ... but lefties really neutralize Dickerson, Polanco and Bell.

That's why I'm expecting a Cubs sweep. It just feels like this is the weekend when it all falls apart.

The Cubs have a great lineup. Holding them to 1 run last night was our golden opportunity to win a game. So naturally we get shutout.

Seriously doubt we will hold the Cubs to 1 or less again this weekend. That means our offense will need to pile up some runs in order to win, and that seems highly unlikely at this point.
CarolinaBucco

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Speaking of lefties, I REALLY wish we had one in our starting rotation.

Especially playing in a park that favors LH power hitting. Heck, we should have 2 lefties to fully take advantage of this park.

Amazing that we've just played two full years without an established LH in the rotation (not counting Brault).

Wish NH could find one -- and go out and actually PAY for one -- during the offseason.
skinnyhorse

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by skinnyhorse »

5270637E7D787F70536472727E110 wrote: Speaking of lefties, I REALLY wish we had one in our starting rotation.

Especially playing in a park that favors LH power hitting. Heck, we should have 2 lefties to fully take advantage of this park.

Amazing that we've just played two full years without an established LH in the rotation (not counting Brault).

Wish NH could find one -- and go out and actually PAY for one -- during the offseason.
Not sure why anyone thinks acquiring a good lefty is going to help this team. The only thing that will really help this team is to get a competent manager who really wants to win and knows something about baseball in this century. We've acquired our saviour (Archer) and what have we done since then, his ERA since here is well above 4 and we gave away great propects and got nothing to show for it. NH has no idea what he's doing he's just reacting hoping to save his job. Why anyone would go watch the product being put on the field in Pittsburg is beyond me.
Bobster21

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

130B090E0E19080F121305600 wrote: Speaking of lefties, I REALLY wish we had one in our starting rotation.

Not sure why anyone thinks acquiring a good lefty is going to help this team.   The only thing that will really help this team is to get a competent manager who really wants to win and knows something about baseball in this century.  We've acquired our saviour (Archer) and what have we done since then, his ERA since here is well above 4 and we gave away great propects and got nothing to show for it.   NH has no idea what he's doing he's just reacting hoping to save his job.  Why anyone would go watch the product being put on the field in Pittsburg is beyond me.
Sadly, I don't think either NH or Hurdle has any reason to believe they need to save their jobs. Both were given 4 year extensions after poor performances the past 2 years which included letting a competitive team fall apart. Winning is not a priority in the Nutting organization and he won't pay off those contracts while paying others to replace them. Especially when he's satisfied with their losing ways anyway.
skinnyhorse

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by skinnyhorse »

052825343322357576470 wrote: Speaking of lefties, I REALLY wish we had one in our starting rotation.

Not sure why anyone thinks acquiring a good lefty is going to help this team.   The only thing that will really help this team is to get a competent manager who really wants to win and knows something about baseball in this century.  We've acquired our saviour (Archer) and what have we done since then, his ERA since here is well above 4 and we gave away great propects and got nothing to show for it.   NH has no idea what he's doing he's just reacting hoping to save his job.  Why anyone would go watch the product being put on the field in Pittsburg is beyond me.
Sadly, I don't think either NH or Hurdle has any reason to believe they need to save their jobs. Both were given 4 year extensions after poor performances the past 2 years which included letting a competitive team fall apart. Winning is not a priority in the Nutting organization and he won't pay off those contracts while paying others to replace them. Especially when he's satisfied with their losing ways anyway. 

Oh I think he is seeing the attendance figures and isn't pleased, and if he new anything about finance he could put the attendance numbers together and figure out he's losing big bucks by this miserable season. Problem is he knows nothing about baseball and hasn't a clue on what to do.
Bobster21

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

7A626067677061667B7A6C090 wrote: Speaking of lefties, I REALLY wish we had one in our starting rotation.

Oh I think he is seeing the attendance figures and isn't pleased, and if he new anything about finance he could put the attendance numbers  together and figure out he's losing big bucks by this miserable season.  Problem is he knows nothing about baseball and hasn't a clue on what to do.
But he is a businessman and I'm sure he employs plenty of bean counters and the drop in attendance had to be expected due to fan anger of the Cutch and Cole trades. The entire winter was full of complaining fans and threats of protests and even players publicly complaining in ST. So the attendance drop was not a surprise. Nutting received a 50 million bonus from the MLB Disney transaction and was the only owner not to sign a FA. So he seems to have pocketed that money to compensate for the predicted attendance drop. I would love nothing more than for you to be correct and that NH and/or CH could be on the fringe of losing their jobs. But my belief is that they are as secure as can be. :(
Bobster21

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

8-pitch 1st inning for Williams after the rain delay.
skinnyhorse

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by skinnyhorse »

6B464B5A5D4C5B1B18290 wrote: Speaking of lefties, I REALLY wish we had one in our starting rotation.

Oh I think he is seeing the attendance figures and isn't pleased, and if he new anything about finance he could put the attendance numbers  together and figure out he's losing big bucks by this miserable season.  Problem is he knows nothing about baseball and hasn't a clue on what to do.
But he is a businessman and I'm sure he employs plenty of bean counters and the drop in attendance had to be expected due to fan anger of the Cutch and Cole trades. The entire winter was full of complaining fans and threats of protests and even players publicly complaining in ST. So the attendance drop was not a surprise. Nutting received a 50 million bonus from the MLB Disney transaction and was the only owner not to sign a FA. So he seems to have pocketed that money to compensate for the predicted attendance drop. I would love nothing more than for you to be correct and that NH and/or CH could be on the fringe of losing their jobs. But my belief is that they are as secure as can be.   :(

No I don't think Hurdle or Huntington are in danger of losing there job, but I think NH made the move to take some of the criticism off and it only makes us a worse team because NH isn't a good GM and gets taken regularly.
INbuc

8/17 vs Cubs

Post by INbuc »

18 straight scoreless innings. This steak needs to end now.