Bad influence

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Bad influence

Post by Osushawn »

797E68606E793E324B6C666A6267256864660B0 wrote: I get what you guys are saying, but this offense is so bad already I have a hard time dealing Marte. Where is his replacement coming from? We all know this organization isn't spending big bucks to bring in a top CF.

Has everyone forgotten Meadows?? :D

Damn that Neal Huntington! ;)

The life of a Pirate fan....

How about sending Marte to the Rays for Meadows and Glasnow?
Ecbucs

Bad influence

Post by Ecbucs »

after last year I thought there was a good chance that Luplow might develop into a good offensive player. Hasn't happened this year.

He isn't someone to count on for next year from what he has shown so far.

If the Bucs think he can be a contributor then he needs to play a lot before end of season, at least 25 starts.

Maybe Bryan Reynolds or Jason Martin will be ready next year.
ScottinMass

Bad influence

Post by ScottinMass »

6661777F7166212D547379757D783A777B79140 wrote: I get what you guys are saying, but this offense is so bad already I have a hard time dealing Marte. Where is his replacement coming from? We all know this organization isn't spending big bucks to bring in a top CF.

BTW, Meadows as an OPS 1.090 in 19 games with Durham AAA

I was all for the trade, but I've always wanted to see what Meadows could do
MaineBucs

Bad influence

Post by MaineBucs »

In July, when Marte, Dickerson and Polanco were collectively raking, many on this Board started to speak of them as being the best outfield in baseball and how it was critical that the Bucs sign Dickerson to an extension so that they could remain together.

Unfortunately, all 3 went into a collective slump. Net result, Pirates, as a team, forget what it is like to score a run even now and then.

I have always liked Marte's tools. He plays a plus CF, can run, can hit and can hit with some power. If they choose to trade him they will have a real hole in the line-up for the 3+ months of the season that Marte has shown up and hit, but will lose little on offense when he is slumping and swinging wildly (badly) like he is now.

I believe NH should shop Marte to see what he would bring in return, but if he is shopped, there must be a real (productive) back-up plan. The pitching staff, both starters and relievers, is showing real signs of being a plus going forward. But, the team needs some offense (and defense) to support the pitching staff.

This season is close to being toast; not completely, but close. None of Harrison, Mercer, or S-Rod should be back next year, and the team likely could move both Freese (who I like) and Nova to try and create even more payroll space to go get a CF'er, 1st baseman, or more pitching.

Lastly, I don't know if Marte is really a bad influence on any other player, but it doesn't set a good example when he trots to first. I also loathe his annoying habit of looking over his shoulder as he runs to first.
rucker59@gmail.com

Bad influence

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1F2F2338382522012D3F3F4C0 wrote: I get what you guys are saying, but this offense is so bad already I have a hard time dealing Marte. Where is his replacement coming from? We all know this organization isn't spending big bucks to bring in a top CF.

BTW, Meadows as an OPS 1.090 in 19 games with Durham AAA

I was all for the trade, but I've always wanted to see what Meadows could do

If Meadows and Glasnow lead the Rays to a WS, I suspect i’ll Finally start drinking. Heavily.
rucker59@gmail.com

Bad influence

7C4046405B52445D330 wrote: I get what you guys are saying, but this offense is so bad already I have a hard time dealing Marte. Where is his replacement coming from? We all know this organization isn't spending big bucks to bring in a top CF.

How about sending Marte to the Rays for Meadows and Glasnow?

We’ll probably trade Marte and Tallion and to pry Meadows away....

:)
rucker59@gmail.com

Bad influence

667A7761616B120 wrote: To the original question, I do think Marte has been an influence on Polanco, and generally not for the better.

Super small sample size and possibly a terrible idea, but Dickerson has played 27 games in CF and has fielded 1.000% in those games.  Marte and Harrison's combined $18M off the books for next year could snag a pretty decent corner OF - or CF for that matter I guess.

Personally I would much rather keep Marte and bring in a manger that doesn't let things get to this point.  Marte wouldn't be doing it if he didn't think he could get away with it, and I sincerely don't believe Marte would have been benched at all if not for the reaction from fans.

Really good post:

Regarding “bad influence”, as I’ve already stated, I have no doubt. I’m almost sure that Freese was talking specifically about Marte. Plus, it sounds like the clubhouse reaction to Marte’s “Who gives a crap” attitude that push Hurdle to act.  At least that’s what the FAN was suggesting. 

If the Pirates are close to competing, I can’t think of a better time to spend money. Add to the $18M you suggest, S-Rod and Freese as Maine mentioned and Neal could acquire an All Star and team leader.  And payroll would still be cheap.  They can’t trade-their-Way to a high end replacement, but I think this is the time to 1) buy the one missing piece, and 2) bring in a major haul of top prospects.

Finally, agreed 100% - the Pirates have allowed this attitude.  So they’ve got the problem.  It’s the way things tend to work...
MaineBucs

Bad influence

Post by MaineBucs »

I also concur with Thessy --- Bring in a new manager.

The owner has let this club down, NH has let this club down and so has the guy in the clubhouse. At least on the surface, there appears to be too much of a nonchalant, I don't care attitude.

Hurdle contract is cheap, about $5 mil for the next 3 years. I have no ideas regarding who to bring in, but this team appears to be in desperate need of new direction.
Bobster21

Bad influence

Post by Bobster21 »

705C5453587F485E4E3D0 wrote: I also concur with Thessy --- Bring in a new manager.

The owner has let this club down, NH has let this club down and so has the guy in the clubhouse.  At least on the surface, there appears to be too much of a nonchalant, I don't care attitude. 

Hurdle contract is cheap, about $5 mil for the next 3 years.    I have no ideas regarding who to bring in, but this team appears to be in desperate need of new direction.
They need a fiery manager who clearly hates losing and conveys that feeling to the players so that they will also hate losing. Hurdle just doesn't seem to care. He says "we'll come back tomorrow" and he often fields a lineup clearly inferior to what he could have fielded. There's no way that goes unnoticed by the players. Guys like Jim Leyland, Tony LaRussa or Earl Weaver detested losing and it rubbed off on their players. Hurdle obviously prefers winning over losing but it's not always his top priority and it doesn't seem to bother him much anyway. So they have players who don't hustle or don't bother to learn to play smart baseball. They all want to win but they don't put themselves out for a manager who often barely gives them a chance.
DemDog

Bad influence

Post by DemDog »

527F72636475622221100 wrote: I also concur with Thessy --- Bring in a new manager.

The owner has let this club down, NH has let this club down and so has the guy in the clubhouse.  At least on the surface, there appears to be too much of a nonchalant, I don't care attitude. 

Hurdle contract is cheap, about $5 mil for the next 3 years.    I have no ideas regarding who to bring in, but this team appears to be in desperate need of new direction.
[highlight]They need a fiery manager who clearly hates losing and conveys that feeling to the players so that they will also hate losing.[/highlight] Hurdle just doesn't seem to care. He says "we'll come back tomorrow" and he often fields a lineup clearly inferior to what he could have fielded. There's no way that goes unnoticed by the players. Guys like Jim Leyland, Tony LaRussa or Earl Weaver detested losing and it rubbed off on their players. Hurdle obviously prefers winning over losing but it's not always his top priority and it doesn't seem to bother him much anyway. So they have players who don't hustle or don't bother to learn to play smart baseball. They all want to win but they don't put themselves out for a manager who often barely gives them a chance.

In another life I would go for "Charlie Hustle" Pete Rose. In fact I mentioned it in another earlier post about how nice it would to get him if he was banned from baseball for life.