Some thoughts about the rest of the season . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

626E676A7D217B6662607B67763D3F4F68620F0 wrote: Hard to see how starting the young guys will make much of an impact. If Osuna hits .400 in September, what does that really tell you? Would you trade Bell?

I'm more interested in how they might add an infield bat for next year, and maybe one more starter. Not holding my breath, though.
Bell seems to have been anointed the 1Bman of the future. I like Bell and I was hoping he would succeed. But he has major fundamental problems with his defense, his throws and his swing. I'm willing to see if Osuna in extended play could turn out to be what Bell was supposed to be but isn't. If Osuna can't cut it, let him go. No big loss. But if Osuna gives them what they expected but didn't get from Bell, then yes, trade Bell to an AL team as a DH.
mouse

Post by mouse »

If they ever think of trading Bell, they would be wise to see now if they have a suitable replacement. If Bell hits .250 with eleven home runs (no idea how many he has today) and can't play reasonable first, no American League team is going to want him. What he has right now is promise, so sooner rather than later would be the time to make a trade, while another team still dreams it can solve his issues.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

3133292F395C0 wrote: If they ever think of trading Bell, they would be wise to see now if they have a suitable replacement. If Bell hits .250 with eleven home runs (no idea how many he has today) and can't play reasonable first, no American League team is going to want him. What he has right now is promise, so sooner rather than later would be the time to make a trade, while another team still dreams it can solve his issues.

I still feel like Bell will put it together. Right now he overthinks things. You can see it when he steps up to the plate. Okay, I gotta put my left foot here, bend over at a certain angle, hold my bat kinda like this ...

It never looks natural. He should go back to what he was doing three years ago and start from there.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I look at Bell right now as being like a young Clint Hurdle. A can't miss prospect who will become a HOFer. But Clint was actually anything but that. He became a journeyman OF and nothing more. Too bad for the Bucs but such is life.
mouse

Post by mouse »

If I were NH I probably wouldn't trade him but I'd start to edge him in that direction. I would at least see what else I have. The problem is that it will take an overhaul of his swing to really get back in a hitting grove. This is certainly something he could do, but it will take a lot of effort and carries no guarantee it can be accomplished. My take is that he's trying to hit home runs. He may need to step back from that focus to really smooth out his swing. He'll hit enough if he just concentrates on hitting the ball. He's already good at going the opposite way.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Maybe they should trade Archer.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4B474E435408524F4B49524E5F141666414B260 wrote: Maybe they should trade Archer.

Who would want him?
steve49

Post by steve49 »

18393118333B5C0 wrote: Maybe they should trade Archer.

Who would want him?

Lord did I hate that trade.

But I guess you can say Archer is very consistent ?
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

First, NH needs to admit to himself that it is time to move on from some of the veterans, particularly Mercer and Harrison in the middle. He (correctly) did this once before when he traded both Jack Wilson and Freddie Sanchez even though many fans screamed.

Although I am far from enamored with Frazier's defense at second, the team may have suitable replacements on the current roster in Newman, Kramer, Frazier and the Hecheveria (Sp?) for the middle infield, and if the need arises, they could go get someone for a year to help out. I give Newman, Kramer and Frazier the majority of the starts in the middle infield once Indy's season is over.

I believe the biggest hole on the team is first base. Bell has provided little to nothing; no power, very substandard defense, and little regular hitting ability. While I don't think that Osuna is a good substitute, I give him the majority of starts at first after Indy's season is over. And, if Cervelli's future with the team is as a part-time first baseman and catcher, let him learn first base in the off-season and in spring training. We already know what he can do at the plate (mediocre hitter who is having one of his best seasons), but we need to see if Osuna is or is not worthy of a roster spot and place on the MLB team for next year.

In the outfield, I give Luplow some real consistent playing time in LF and RF. Perhaps he can supply some of the power that the Pirates are missing. We also need a real 4th outfielder for next year, and may need some one to platoon with Dickerson, should the team resign him.

I like David Freese. At this point he is a better 3rd baseman than Moran, particularly if used in the right circumstances. That said, the Bucs need to use Moran against all RH's and the majority of LH's. Freese should start no more than 2 times per week.

Rodriguez needs to be relegated to a striking out role; no starts, except for the last home game of the season.

Most of the arms in the pen are now a real asset; Vasquez, Crick, Santana, Kela and Rodriguez. The other two spots in the pen have been a mess. Brault pitched one of his best games on Friday. Kingham doesn't appear to have good enough stuff to be a MLB pitcher; unless he consistently hits his spots. Although I expect really bad results, once the Indy season ends, it is time to throw the Never Man, Bosher, Holmes and anyone else who could have a role next year to the wolves. If they don't show any promise, perhaps they don't deserve a roster spot.

I want to think differently and I always want to see the Pirates win, but these last 35 games or so of the season should be about preparing for next year rather than fitting for a wild card spot that has sadly slipped out of sight.
PMike

Post by PMike »

0C20282F2403342232410 wrote: First, NH needs to admit to himself that it is time to move on from some of the veterans, particularly Mercer and Harrison in the middle.  He (correctly) did this once before when he traded both Jack Wilson and Freddie Sanchez even though many fans screamed.

Although I am far from enamored with Frazier's defense at second, the team may have suitable replacements on the current roster in Newman, Kramer, Frazier and the Hecheveria (Sp?) for the middle infield, and if the need arises, they could go get someone for a year to help out.   I give Newman, Kramer and Frazier the majority of the starts in the middle infield once Indy's season is over.

I believe the biggest hole on the team is first base.  Bell has provided little to nothing; no power, very substandard defense, and little regular hitting ability.  While I don't think that Osuna is a good substitute, I give him the majority of starts at first after Indy's season is over.   And, if Cervelli's future with the team is as a part-time first baseman and catcher, let him learn first base in the off-season and in spring training.  We already know what he can do at the plate (mediocre hitter who is having one of his best seasons), but we need to see if Osuna is or is not worthy of a roster spot and place on the MLB team for next year. 

In the outfield, I give Luplow some real consistent playing time in LF and RF.  Perhaps he can supply some of the power that the Pirates are missing. We also need a real 4th outfielder for next year, and may need some one to platoon with Dickerson, should the team resign him. 

I like David Freese.  At this point he is a better 3rd baseman than Moran, particularly if used in the right circumstances.  That said, the Bucs need to use Moran against all RH's and the majority of LH's.  Freese should start no more than 2 times per week.

Rodriguez needs to be relegated to a striking out role; no starts, except for the last home game of the season.

Most of the arms in the pen are now a real asset; Vasquez, Crick, Santana, Kela and Rodriguez.  The other two spots in the pen have been a mess.  Brault pitched one of his best games on Friday.  Kingham doesn't appear to have good enough stuff to be a MLB pitcher; unless he consistently hits his spots.  Although I expect really bad results, once the Indy season ends, it is time to throw the Never Man, Bosher, Holmes and anyone else who could have a role next year to the wolves.  If they don't show any promise, perhaps they don't deserve a roster spot.         

I want to think differently and I always want to see the Pirates win, but these last 35 games or so of the season should be about preparing for next year rather than fitting for a wild card spot that has sadly slipped out of sight.

That is a really good post Maine.

I'm also for not resigning Mercer and trading Harrison.

Frazier could be a big key moving forward. He was very solid last year and has been great since the ASG. If this is the Adam Frazier of the future, he would be a great guy to get 5 starts a week between the OF and 2nd. He would be your de facto 4th outfield next season and ease the transition of Kramer at 2nd base. If Kramer really struggles and needs to head back to AAA, Frazier become the 2nd baseman and Luplow is the 4th OFer. It's sort of crazy that they traded Meadows and still have ample OFers.

I really like Hechavarria and would pay the $6-8 million to resign him. Getting rid of S-Rod would free up that money (not that they have a money problem). He is a great back up at middle infield positions and a solid fall back if Newman struggles next year as the starter at SS. Hechavarria's bat has been better than I expected.

The Freese/Moran combo at third has worked out well. Moran has the look of a good hitter, but his power did not make it out of the Houston organization. If he could regain that power from last year and sustain the .275 average, he'd be a nice player at third. Currently, I'm fine with he and Freese at third until Hayes gets closer.

First base looks to be a mess. It's ironic that the Pirates have never been able to figure this position out. There won't be any good (IMO) FA options in the offseason. I think they have to hope that Bell figures it out in the offseason. He looked really good last year and now looks lost this year. Early in the season, there was a nice Inside Pirates Baseball about Bell and his work ethic. He is very likable and a really hard worker. I'd give him a shot to figure it out and come back next year. There really isn't any better options and I don't think they can give up on him yet.