Bucs @ Cubs - 4/10 . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Bucs @ Cubs - 4/10 . . .

Post by Ecbucs »

01333F3F2B193A333E3B3433520 wrote: Man I hope i'm dead wrong about Jordan Lyles and that he makes me look like a fool (which is relatively easy to do any way).

But I was bitter that the Pirates gave away Nova and basically replaced him with nobody (meaning Lyles).

PLEASE prove me wrong Jordan Lyles ... and you're off to a very good start in doing that.
I think a lot of us are in that boat. Two very impressive starts so far. But his career numbers have never been good. So either he's getting lucky in a SSS or maybe something has changed. Let's hope Searage has worked wonders for him the way he turned Happ's career around. 

Well he's certainly not going to be 0.50 ERA or whatever the rest of the year but I did read a few blurbs that people were surprised that the Padres cut him loose for nothing because he had picked up a few things.

The Brewers too. The Brewers letting him go after he pitched well for them is what has made me most skeptical about him.
Bobster21

Bucs @ Cubs - 4/10 . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

466061766070030 wrote: Man I hope i'm dead wrong about Jordan Lyles and that he makes me look like a fool (which is relatively easy to do any way).

But I was bitter that the Pirates gave away Nova and basically replaced him with nobody (meaning Lyles).

PLEASE prove me wrong Jordan Lyles ... and you're off to a very good start in doing that.
I think a lot of us are in that boat. Two very impressive starts so far. But his career numbers have never been good. So either he's getting lucky in a SSS or maybe something has changed. Let's hope Searage has worked wonders for him the way he turned Happ's career around. 

Well he's certainly not going to be 0.50 ERA or whatever the rest of the year but I did read a few blurbs that people were surprised that the Padres cut him loose for nothing because he had picked up a few things.

The Brewers too.  The Brewers letting him go after he pitched well for them is what has made me most skeptical about him.
I just checked his game log last year and it's fairly encouraging. He began in the SD bullpen and pitched well except for 1 bad outing that inflated his ERA to 3.66. Then they put him in the rotation for 8 games with mixed results. He had 3 outstanding starts and several very bad ones. SD wanted to move on with younger pitchers and Lyles was inconsistent. Brewers claimed him on waivers and put him in the pen. He started out badly for them but finished with 8 consecutive scoreless outings that included 10.1 IP, 0 runs, 3 BB and 15 Ks. Brewers' decision was whether to pay Lyles 3.5 million for 2019 or a $250,000 buyout. I guess they weren't convinced of his value so they paid the buyout. His career overall has been unimpressive but his recent performances last year show he can be effective although inconsistent. Too soon to know this year if he's going to be good or just have some good games along with the bad ones, which at worst would make him no worse than Nova.
Tintin

Bucs @ Cubs - 4/10 . . .

Post by Tintin »

I’m not saying that Lyles in Cy Young, but the Nova trade was an addition by subtraction trade. He was very mediocre, is easily replace, and had too high a salary. I’ll never have a problem with these kinds of trade.

Lyle’s has good stuff last night and his job is to keep us in games and give us an opportunity to win. He’s 2-2 so far.
MaineBucs

Bucs @ Cubs - 4/10 . . .

Post by MaineBucs »

Perhaps it goes without saying, but, nice win last night, particularly after the drubbing and poor fielding on Monday.

While it may not be sustainable, nice pitching by Lyles. Six innings of 1 run 3 hit pitching from your #5 starter is not too shabby. Also good to see Hurdle go to Vasques in the 8th when Kela faltered and for him to respond so well and get 5 outs to close down the Cubs. I was watching the Cubs feed and you could hear in the announcer's voices that the Cubs had little chance of coming back.

Also good to see a few balls leave the park. And, Martin getting on base twice again was nice.

My main negatives from yesterday.

1) Another error by Frazier. I am hoping that regular and consistent reps at 2nd may help his play in the field, but he often seems stiff and that he does not have the hands to be a 2nd baseman.

2) Kela. I know that the Bucs didn't trade as much for him as Archer, but they did trade some talent for him. Frankly, he has not added much to the pen since his arrival. He was shut down for most of September and has rarely had a dominant performance in any inning that he has pitched since coming over. At present, Krick strikes me as a much more dependable option for critical innings than Kela.

3) Kang. I know its really early and that Kang is coming back from a long lay-off, but he hasn't hit many balls hard since his return. Hoping that he can ultimately be a plus, but at present, he is a bit of a hole in the line-up.

Sure would be great if the Bucs could win tonight and end up taking two from the Cubs in Wrigley. Winning, and winning on the road sure helps to breed some confidence.
PMike

Bucs @ Cubs - 4/10 . . .

Post by PMike »

5C70787F7453647262110 wrote: Perhaps it goes without saying, but, nice win last night, particularly after the drubbing and poor fielding on Monday.

While it may not be sustainable, nice pitching by Lyles.   Six innings of 1 run 3 hit pitching from your #5 starter is not too shabby.  Also good to see Hurdle go to Vasques in the 8th when Kela faltered and for him to respond so well and get 5 outs to close down the Cubs.  I was watching the Cubs feed and you could hear in the announcer's voices that the Cubs had little chance of coming back. 

Also good to see a few balls leave the park.  And, Martin getting on base twice again was nice.   

My main negatives from yesterday.

1)  Another error by Frazier.  I am hoping that regular and consistent reps at 2nd may help his play in the field, but he often seems stiff and that he does not have the hands to be a 2nd baseman.

2)  Kela.  I know that the Bucs didn't trade as much for him as Archer, but they did trade some talent for him.  Frankly, he has not added much to the pen since his arrival.  He was shut down for most of September and has rarely had a dominant performance in any inning that he has pitched since coming over.  At present, Krick strikes me as a much more dependable option for critical innings than Kela.

3)  Kang.  I know its really early and that Kang is coming back from a long lay-off, but he hasn't hit many balls hard since his return.  Hoping that he can ultimately be a plus, but at present, he is a bit of a hole in the line-up.    

Sure would be great if the Bucs could win tonight and end up taking two from the Cubs in Wrigley.  Winning, and winning on the road sure helps to breed some confidence. 

2. Kela pitched in 16 games and pitched 15.1 innings last season for the Pirates. His ERA was 2.93 (with an almost identical FIP). He struck out 22 and only walked 5. I'd say that was pretty dominant.

For me, his start to this season is frustrating, but it's pretty much exactly what Vazquez did last year and then he got it together. Fortunately, it looks like Hurdle is actually on the ball and pulled him this last game before he blew it. I think he will be fine.