Pirates vs. Cards - 7/22 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

At this point I'd rather see Tyler Lyons or even Sean Keselica. Both have pretty good numbers out of the pen in AAA.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

That was the most Pirates loss ever. Just classic Pirates.

Typical Pirates. Over the last two games, can't score a single run when when they just need ONE run to win a ballgame in the 8th, 9th or 10th innings.

But as soon as they get down by 4 ... of course they break out with 3 runs ... and put more runners on base with no outs ... only to somehow screw it up again and find a way to lose.

Honestly I'd rather just lose 6-2 than lose this way.

This game was torturous. And vintage Pirates. The mark of a bad team ... always doing JUST ENOUGH to lose.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I am curious on the rationale for only using a pitcher one inning. I appreciate there is probably some analytic reason it's preferable, but I've always had the sense they go through pitchers until they find one who gives up runs. And if your starter leaves after the fifth, any extra inning game is going to call for your weakest relief pitcher.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

7A584B56555057587B4C5A5A56390 wrote: That was the most Pirates loss ever. Just classic Pirates.

Typical Pirates. Over the last two games, can't score a single run when when they just need ONE run to win a ballgame in the 8th, 9th or 10th innings.

But as soon as they get down by 4 ... of course they break out with 3 runs ... and put more runners on base with no outs ... only to somehow screw it up again and find a way to lose.

Honestly I'd rather just lose 6-2 than lose this way.

This game was torturous. And vintage Pirates. The mark of a bad team ... always doing JUST ENOUGH to lose.

What's also vintage Pirates - as soon as the starting pitching looks like it might be coming around, the hitting vanishes.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Slip sliding away ---

While it was great to see the Pirates honor the 1979 team, last Saturday's celebration also drives home the fact that the Pirates have not won or competed in a World Series in 40 years.

Nonetheless, NH continues to assert that their goal is to make and win the Series.

Loosely quoting from Sesame Street --- One of these things is not like the other.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

This game got a reaction from Mrs. Possum which is very, very unusual. While listening to 93.7 the Fan during breakfast this morning. She stated: What's wrong with Clint Hurdle? Putting in this guy Clay Holmes in the gam to pitch, who the heck is he? He's not very good!

When Mrs. Possum speaks, you know the Bucs are in a world of hurt and that BMTIBB better get their crap together. You don't piss off Mrs. Possum!
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I’ll say it again not using Vazquez last night in the 10th inning in a tie game simply because he threw 35 pitches in 2 games when your season is essentially hanging by a thread in the standings is simply inexcusable and more of a reason among many others that Hurdle needs to go. His mismanagement of the bullpen this season so far has costs the Pirates at least close to 10 games. It won’t happen we all know that  because of Bob Nutting but Hurdle needs to go it’s definitely time enough is enough.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1E39282C29340B3F282929344D0 wrote: I’ll say it again not using Vazquez last night in the 10th inning  in a tie game simply because he threw 35 pitches in 2 games when your season is essentially hanging by a thread in the standings is simply inexcusable and more of a reason among many others that Hurdle needs to go. His mismanagement of the bullpen this season so far has costs the Pirates at least close to 10 games. It won’t happen we all know that  because of Bob Nutting but Hurdle needs to go it’s definitely time enough is enough.

I bet before the game that Clint told NH that he wasn't going to use him too. I think his moves come with full approval from front office.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Who here has access to Vasquez's medicals?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

725544404558675344454558210 wrote: I’ll say it again not using Vazquez last night in the 10th inning  in a tie game simply because he threw 35 pitches in 2 games when your season is essentially hanging by a thread in the standings is simply inexcusable and more of a reason among many others that Hurdle needs to go. His mismanagement of the bullpen this season so far has costs the Pirates at least close to 10 games. It won’t happen we all know that  because of Bob Nutting but Hurdle needs to go it’s definitely time enough is enough.
I suspect that many of Hurdle's moves are done with the approval and possibly even at the direction of NH. Neal and his bean counters and statisticians seem to think they've got all the angles covered because they are smarter than everyone else. Hurdle seems to lack game management skills and follows along, content to do whatever they want while knowing winning enough games to seriously compete is a pipe dream (even for a better manager). Hurdle's managing gives the impression (at least to me) that he's not invested in winning. He follows his formulas for better or worse. He's more concerned with how much rest his players get than how many games they win. Losing doesn't appear to bother him. For a team to have success under the severe financial constraints imposed by Nutting, they need a superior manager who will get the absolute most out of his roster. I don't know if any manager would be able to turn Nutting's 5 & 10 cent team into a real contender. But it sure won't happen with Hurdle, who doesn't seem to care very much. Shower it off and try again tomorrow.