5. Colin Moran (L) 3B

6. Corey Dickerson (L) LF

7. Kevin Newman (R) SS

8. Elias Diaz (R) C

9. Trevor Williams (R) P
Ecbucs

Pirates vs. Cards - 7/22 - Game Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

Frazier with three walks so far. I wonder if he has ever had 3 in a game before?

Need to get to Wacha.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

What is Clay Holmes doing in this game in the 10th inning when it’s still tied when you are trying to pretty much save your season by winning these games. Like where is Vazquez in the 10th?? He can’t pitch 3 days in a row. I know there aren’t many better options but everybody pretty much knew as soon as Holmes came in this game in the 10th inning he was gonna give up the lead.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Clay Holmes getting embarrassed on the 10th .

This season is now a wrap.

What will the Pirates FO do next is the only remaining question.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

What a perfect representation of the season. Bullpen arm who doesn't belong in the major leagues gives up a bucketload of runs, and the offense does just enough to lose.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2F2B2314021227000F610 wrote: What a perfect representation of the season. Bullpen arm who doesn't belong in the major leagues gives up a bucketload of runs, and the offense does just enough to lose.

no doubt season is over. attendance pitiful too.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Why would Cora send Newman there on a ball hit that hard with one out and a good contact hitter in Frazier on deck. I don’t know if anybody saw on the bunt play by Diaz that the guy on 3rd base was way off the bag and Dickerson should have been safe and Hurdle and the Pirates didn’t even consider challenging it which was just stupid. Another frustrating disappointing loss as this season now continues to slip further and further away.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Just heard Vazquez was unavailable tonight which if that was true after he pitches only 2 days a row and didn’t throw that many pitches it’s simply inexcusable. Like what is Hurdle saving Vazquez for?? These games now are it and your season you have to win them. And for Hurdle to not have Vazquez available and go with Holmes instead in the 10th it’s just simply inexcusable and no defending it period not when you are fighting to barely keep your season alive. Vazquez threw 35 pitches in 2 days and had not pitched since last Tuesday. I just find it hard to believe he was that tired and couldn’t pitch again tonight in the 10th inning.
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

This game was a reflection of our season, no doubt. We are just good enough to come back and get close and ultimately lose.

Holmes is inconsistent at this point in his career.  So I am not surprised there.  Hurdle challenges the wrong play.  Cora should have held Newman, I agree with Freddy.  Frazier is our best contact hitter and he would be up next.

Another season down the shi**er.   :-/
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

26282D24323B2424410 wrote: This game was a reflection of our season, no doubt. We are just good enough to come back and get close and ultimately lose.

Holmes is inconsistent at this point in his career.  So I am not surprised there.  Hurdle challenges the wrong play.  Cora should have held Newman, I agree with Freddy.  Frazier is our best contact hitter and he would be up next.

Another season down the shi**er.   :-/
Actually Holmes is pretty consistent. he's been scored upon in 12 of his 22 games. Just last Friday he gave up 4 hits and 3 runs. Obviously Holmes does not belong in MLB. But he's here out of necessity because they don't have anyone else in AAA worthy of MLB either. At that point the only relievers left were Holmes, Escobar and Stratton if Vazquez was not going to pitch. The problem is thjat when Williams pitched only 5 innings, Hurdle used 4 relievers for 4 innings prior to the 10th. If he knew Vazquez wouldn't pitch and the game was tied since the 4th inning, why limit his only semi-reliable relievers to just 1 inning? As usual, Hurdle puts following formulas ahead of trying to win.