Why I no longer watch

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Why I no longer watch

Post by skinnyhorse »

I really really dispise Scott Boras and what he's done to baseball. But all the owners in MLB are also to blame and certainly I don't like Cole's attitude. He's playing the game like everyone else seems to be playing. The Astro were paying GC 13,500,000, but they were paying Zack G. 34,500,000 and Justin V. 28,000,000. Now anyone in there right mind knows that Cole is better than either JV or ZG. I can understand why Cole feels like he was not treated fair by Houston. I know the whole baseball salary system is a mess, but who's fault is it. It's Owners, Players, and especially these vulcer agents like Boras. I look at the Pirate Pitchers and guess whose paid by far and away the most money, Chris Archer at $7,666,000. Our 2 most reliable pitcher Trevor W. made $584,000 and Joe M. $582,500. Joe has the best stuff on the staff and Trevor just knows how to pitch. If the Pirates want to build Loyalty pay these guys for there performance, don't wait until you have to, that's the way you build loyalty. If they pitch well pay them for what they did last year not what they did 5 years ago. Renegotioate Trevor and Joe's contract now and build in performance, if they produce pay them if they don't now increases. Both Joe and Trevor should be making a minimum of 3.5 million now and more if they perform. Quit screwing these young players and quit overpaying these old worn out players who are not performing.
rucker59@gmail.com

Why I no longer watch

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5F474542425544435E5F492C0 wrote: I really really dispise Scott Boras and what he's done to baseball.  But all the owners in MLB are also to blame and certainly I don't like Cole's attitude.  He's playing the game like everyone else seems to be playing.  The Astro were paying GC 13,500,000, but they were paying Zack G. 34,500,000 and Justin V. 28,000,000.  Now anyone in there right mind knows that Cole is better than either JV or ZG.   I can understand why Cole feels like he was not treated fair by Houston.   I know the whole baseball salary system is a mess, but who's fault is it.  It's Owners, Players, and especially these vulcer agents like Boras.  I look at the Pirate Pitchers and guess whose paid by far and away the most money, Chris Archer at $7,666,000.  Our 2 most reliable pitcher Trevor W. made $584,000 and Joe M. $582,500.  Joe has the best stuff on the staff and Trevor just knows how to pitch.  If the Pirates want to build Loyalty pay these guys for there performance, don't wait until you have to, that's the way you build loyalty.  If they pitch well pay them for what they did last year not what they did 5 years ago.  Renegotioate Trevor and Joe's contract now and build in performance, if they produce pay them if they don't now increases.  Both Joe and Trevor should be making a minimum of 3.5 million now and more if they perform.  Quit screwing these young players and quit overpaying these old worn out players who are not performing.

I like your idealism but it’s not the way baseball works. It should but it doesn’t. Frankly I’d say MLB’s player Union is the most directly responsible. This is the system the players have fought for. I believe Cole has been a players rep to the union.

This same system will now begin to benefit Cole. He’ll sign a $200M - $300M multi-year contract that is guaranteed. If he blows out an elbow or loses command or anything else takes away his edge he’ll still collect his money.

Garrett Cole (nearly) immediately after his team loses game 7: “I represent myself”. Garrett Cole and his attitude IS the problem with the game and frankly much of the world. Fortunately he is at the far end of extreme compared to most people, but he has become a Caricature of selfishness and greed.
UtahPirate

Why I no longer watch

Post by UtahPirate »

0A2E3A32375B0 wrote: All of a sudden I like Musgrove, Moran, Feliz and Martin a lot more than ever before.

This was written a few weeks ago on Bucsdugout:

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2019/10/14/2 ... -not-a-fan

I read it relieved that someone finally tried to explain why they (I) really didn't like Cole and didn't honestly mind he had moved on. Then he pulled his stunt the other night. Suddenly many of my family/friends totally understand why I never liked the guy, even when he seemed to pitch well for the Bucs. Can't help but wonder if in a couple years, whatever he signs will be a total albatross contract for some team.
Ecbucs

Why I no longer watch

Post by Ecbucs »

5B7A6F665E677C6F7A6B0E0 wrote: All of a sudden I like Musgrove, Moran, Feliz and Martin a lot more than ever before.

This was written a few weeks ago on Bucsdugout:

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2019/10/14/2 ... -not-a-fan

I read it relieved that someone finally tried to explain why they (I) really didn't like Cole and didn't honestly mind he had moved on. Then he pulled his stunt the other night. Suddenly many of my family/friends totally understand why I never liked the guy, even when he seemed to pitch well for the Bucs. Can't help but wonder if in a couple years, whatever he signs will be a total albatross contract for some team.

Thanks for posting the Bucs Dugout article.

My view is that there is a good chance that many major leaguers are jerks at least some of the time. Some hide it from public, some don't care. I've always put Pete Rose in the jerk category but I still wouldn't have minded him being on the Pirates when Galbreath tried to sign him. As far as I know Cole is the first one to do what he did the other night and I have to wonder if Boras told him it would be a good thing to do if he was interviewed after the game (assuming that the Astros would win). I think what Cole needs to do is watch Bull Durham a few more times.
johnfluharty

Why I no longer watch

Post by johnfluharty »

Reminds me of when Jason Schmidt left and became good and we found out he was holding back while he was here.
skinnyhorse

Why I no longer watch

Post by skinnyhorse »

5453454D4354131F66414B474F4A0845494B260 wrote: I really really dispise Scott Boras and what he's done to baseball.  But all the owners in MLB are also to blame and certainly I don't like Cole's attitude.  He's playing the game like everyone else seems to be playing.  The Astro were paying GC 13,500,000, but they were paying Zack G. 34,500,000 and Justin V. 28,000,000.  Now anyone in there right mind knows that Cole is better than either JV or ZG.   I can understand why Cole feels like he was not treated fair by Houston.   I know the whole baseball salary system is a mess, but who's fault is it.  It's Owners, Players, and especially these vulcer agents like Boras.  I look at the Pirate Pitchers and guess whose paid by far and away the most money, Chris Archer at $7,666,000.  Our 2 most reliable pitcher Trevor W. made $584,000 and Joe M. $582,500.  Joe has the best stuff on the staff and Trevor just knows how to pitch.  If the Pirates want to build Loyalty pay these guys for there performance, don't wait until you have to, that's the way you build loyalty.  If they pitch well pay them for what they did last year not what they did 5 years ago.  Renegotioate Trevor and Joe's contract now and build in performance, if they produce pay them if they don't now increases.  Both Joe and Trevor should be making a minimum of 3.5 million now and more if they perform.  Quit screwing these young players and quit overpaying these old worn out players who are not performing.

I like your idealism but it’s not the way baseball works.  It should but it doesn’t.  Frankly I’d say MLB’s player Union is the most directly responsible.  This is the system the players have fought for. I believe Cole has been a players rep to the union.   

This same system will now begin to benefit Cole.  He’ll sign a $200M - $300M multi-year contract that is guaranteed. If he blows out an elbow or loses command or anything else takes away his edge he’ll still collect his money. 

Garrett Cole (nearly)  immediately after his team loses game 7: “I represent myself”.  Garrett Cole and his attitude IS the problem with the game and frankly much of the world.  Fortunately he is at the far end of extreme compared to most people, but he has become a Caricature of selfishness and greed. 
I agree the Players union created this monster and obviously it was designed by the veterans.  Obvously the Pirates don't have to follow it.  I believe we could build relationships with players if we handled them differently, what have we got to lose, we would need to be very selective in doing this with high character guys not Felepe Rivero type, but why not try.