Shelton hired as manager

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Shelton hired as manager

Post by PMike »

This is a "non-flashy" hire. Not many people know the name. That already is forward progress for this organization. It is a good thing that they didn't bring in a name to try and draw interest among the fans. Winning will draw all of the interest necessary.
WiffleballHero

Shelton hired as manager

Post by WiffleballHero »

There's a lot of hitting in his resume. His thoughts on pitching philosophy and whom to hire for pitching coach should be of great interest to me.

Also how he blends modern analytics with his decision-making process.

Also how he handles the bullpen.

Also how much bubble gum he thinks is appropriate for a MLB manager to consume in any three-game series.
JollyRoger

Shelton hired as manager

Post by JollyRoger »

18262929232A2D2E2323072A3D204F0 wrote: There's a lot of hitting in his resume.  His thoughts on pitching philosophy and whom to hire for pitching coach should be of great interest to me.

Also how much bubble gum he thinks is appropriate for a MLB manager to consume in any three-game series.

Rumor has it that Nutting was not pleased with the amount of bubblegum consumed by Hurdle on a daily basis. When Hurdle exceeded the bubblegum budget on 9/29 he was immediately fired.
Bobster21

Shelton hired as manager

Post by Bobster21 »

4A6F6C6C79526F676572000 wrote: There's a lot of hitting in his resume.  His thoughts on pitching philosophy and whom to hire for pitching coach should be of great interest to me.

Rumor has it that Nutting was not pleased with the amount of bubblegum consumed by Hurdle on a daily basis. When Hurdle exceeded the bubblegum budget on 9/29 he was immediately fired.
Rumor also had it that Hurdle made unnecessary trips to the mound to show that he could walk and chew gum at the same time. :)
IABucFan

Shelton hired as manager

Post by IABucFan »

The thing I like it is that they are going to successful organizations. Williams came from the Pens and is a fan. Cherington from the Red Sox and Jays. Now Shelton from the Twins. I really wanted them to go outside the organization. They’ve done that. For the first time in a long time, I’m optimistic about this team.
LumberCo

Shelton hired as manager

Post by LumberCo »

61696A5D4B6E4946280 wrote: I think that Williams, Cherington, and now Williams have all been good hires. For the first time since 2015, I’m optimistic a out the future of the team. I still think they need to tear down and rebuild, but I believe these three positions are key and I think the Pirates made sound decisions on all three.

until you realize that the owner is still the same.....LOL.....as pirate fans all we have is hope, not holding my breath waiting for a different result in 3-5 years. hope I am wrong :(
skinnyhorse

Shelton hired as manager

Post by skinnyhorse »

427B636C6B7C4D610E0 wrote: I think that Williams, Cherington, and now Williams have all been good hires. For the first time since 2015, I’m optimistic a out the future of the team. I still think they need to tear down and rebuild, but I believe these three positions are key and I think the Pirates made sound decisions on all three.

until you realize that the owner is still the same.....LOL.....as pirate fans all we have is hope, not holding my breath waiting for a different result in 3-5 years.  hope I am wrong :(

I repeat, leadership can make a massive difference in any team. Now whether these guys are great leaders we will see, but I know what we had and it was awful. It won't take long to see.
Bobster21

Shelton hired as manager

Post by Bobster21 »

554D4F48485F4E49545543260 wrote: I think that Williams, Cherington, and now Williams have all been good hires. For the first time since 2015, I’m optimistic a out the future of the team. I still think they need to tear down and rebuild, but I believe these three positions are key and I think the Pirates made sound decisions on all three.

until you realize that the owner is still the same.....LOL.....as pirate fans all we have is hope, not holding my breath waiting for a different result in 3-5 years.  hope I am wrong :(

I repeat, leadership can make a massive difference in any team.  Now whether these guys are great leaders we will see, but I know what we had and it was awful.  It won't take long to see.
True. But the leader at the top hasn't changed. Maybe Williams, Cherington and Shelton will impress upon Nutting that he needs to change his ways to succeed in MLB (beyond the idea that success = profit). It always seemed to me that Coonelly, Huntington and Hurdle were just glad to have their jobs. Nutting needs to change. Maybe this new management team can make a difference.
IABucFan

Shelton hired as manager

Post by IABucFan »

Agreed about Nutting. But I don't think they can hurt. I like Coonelly, Huntington, and Hurdle. I have a signed bat from Hurdle sitting on a shelf at my house. But it was time to move on, and I’m just glad they didn’t go the easy “internal” route and hire Banny or Cora. Both good baseball guys, but I believe we desperately need a fresh outlook and the Twins, Jays, and Red Sox all know how to win and how to develop a lot of homegrown talent, just what the Bucs need. Maybe nothing will change, but these are the first three positive steps we’ve taken in years. Looking forward to seeing what Cherington can get for Marte. That will tell us a lot about his immediate outlook on the org.
Bobster21

Shelton hired as manager

Post by Bobster21 »

474F4C7B6D486F600E0 wrote: Agreed about Nutting. But I don't think they can hurt. I like Coonelly, Huntington, and Hurdle. I have a signed bat from Hurdle sitting on a shelf at my house. But it was time to move on, and I’m just glad they didn’t go the easy “internal” route and hire Banny or Cora. Both good baseball guys, but I believe we desperately need a fresh outlook and the Twins, Jays, and Red Sox all know how to win and how to develop a lot of homegrown talent, just what the Bucs need. Maybe nothing will change, but these are the first three positive steps we’ve taken in years. Looking forward to seeing what Cherington can get for Marte. That will tell us a lot about his immediate outlook on the org.
Yes, I agree with you. Beyond the roster limitations imposed by Nutting's wallet being glued shut, there were additional problems of poor drafting, poor development and, IMHO, poor managerial game decisions. So I thought the performance of the team was less than what it should have been even with Nutting's financial constraints. I'm encouraged that even Nutting saw a need for change and I'm hopeful that, at the very least, this new mgt team gets more out of the talent it makes available to itself than the previous regime.