Alfredo Edmead

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Alfredo Edmead

Post by steve49 »

033621212A1321212A2D21440 wrote: I had forgotten about that, but this made me remember him.  I wasn't aware that he was so highly regarded, though.

As for the article, one statement makes me wonder:  it says how many players in the 2017 ASG were first rounders.  Seems high to me.  We keep hearing that, in baseball (really, in every sport) that the draft is a gamble; that so many don't pan out.  Yet, this says that a good number of first rounders became All Stars.  Am I missing something?

The number was 20.

Figure you have 30 first round picks per year. Being conservative , say you just take 9 year vets and younger. That would mean that 20 of the 270 picks made the All Star game.

I was thinking of long-time veterans, like those "feel good/washed up guys" who make their ASG curtain calls, so 15 or even 20 years.  If you go that far out, then it's even rarer. 

So, I guess that just goes to show how tough it is to predict the players who will go onto bigger and better things, even just once.

It's kind of crazy math. If you look at a baseball draft , there are 38 rounds. Add to that all the international signings. Then compare that to that 2017 All Star stat you brought up. there were 60 players in that game and 20 of them were first round picks.

That would mean 33% of the players were drafted in the first round. If you figure the draft is say... 43 rounds if you include the international signings (and that's really low) , that would mean everything equal you would have just over 2% that would come from each round. So that would mean your first post saying 20 players is a lot would be correct.

It would also mean first round picks have WAY , WAY more of a chance to excel than the laster round picks. That all said , I did not check other All Star rosters or even confirm that there were 20 in the 2017 game.
GreenWeenie

Alfredo Edmead

Post by GreenWeenie »

I was thinking the same thing after I posted. Even if other years had 15, or even 10 first rounders in them, that still says something.