Alfredo Edmead

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Alfredo Edmead

Post by steve49 »

The thread on the Pirate pitcher reminded me of this kid. Said to be better than Clemente. I remember reading about him when this tragedy happened. Any of you other old guys remember him ?

https://bxzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=1641
Ecbucs

Alfredo Edmead

Post by Ecbucs »

63647566752429100 wrote: The thread on the Pirate pitcher reminded me of this kid.  Said to be better than Clemente. I remember reading about him when this tragedy happened. Any of you other old guys remember him ?

https://bxzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=1641

I remember this and the Sporting News had a detailed story. I didn't remember his name though.
ArnoldRothstein

Alfredo Edmead

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

He's sort of tied together with Alberto Lois, who was discussed in the birthday thread recently. They were teammates for the Dominican Republic at the Pan American Games, and the Pirates made a big splash in scouting circles by signing both players. Of course, in that era a big splash meant that it got a mention in the Sporting News.

Joe L. Brown used to have a Sunday morning show, and every week at the end he'd do a profile of a prospect. I assume that he profiled Edmead at some point, because I remember that Edmead's death was reported on the radio and I knew who he was and felt sad (I was 15). It wasn't that long after Clemente had died.
GreenWeenie

Alfredo Edmead

Post by GreenWeenie »

I had forgotten about that, but this made me remember him.  I wasn't aware that he was so highly regarded, though.

As for the article, one statement makes me wonder:  it says how many players in the 2017 ASG were first rounders.  Seems high to me.  We keep hearing that, in baseball (really, in every sport) that the draft is a gamble; that so many don't pan out.  Yet, this says that a good number of first rounders became All Stars.  Am I missing something?
Lecom

Alfredo Edmead

Post by Lecom »

Been around for a long time but I did not know about this one. Interesting story and a real shame.
steve49

Alfredo Edmead

Post by steve49 »

645146464D7446464D4A46230 wrote: I had forgotten about that, but this made me remember him.  I wasn't aware that he was so highly regarded, though.

As for the article, one statement makes me wonder:  it says how many players in the 2017 ASG were first rounders.  Seems high to me.  We keep hearing that, in baseball (really, in every sport) that the draft is a gamble; that so many don't pan out.  Yet, this says that a good number of first rounders became All Stars.  Am I missing something?

The number was 20.

Figure you have 30 first round picks per year. Being conservative , say you just take 9 year vets and younger. That would mean that 20 of the 270 picks made the All Star game.
ArnoldRothstein

Alfredo Edmead

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Edmead had 61 stolen bases. Playing beside him in center was Miguel Dilone, who hit .330 with 85 steals. Omar Moreno, a year ahead in Double A, stole 67. The team emphasized speed more over power when they moved to artificial turf, and they sure got the speed, but after a while the hitters' dried up and they had to take chances on guys like Hendrick, Kemp, etc.
INbuc

Alfredo Edmead

Post by INbuc »

I have been a Pirate fan since about 1970 and I never knew of Edmead. After reading Gammons story, I googled Edmead and linked to this story from Baseball Reference. As disclaimers go, this account is pretty disturbing. Made my eyes water.

Today and Monday I will go to the cemetery to honor those whose lives ended too soon, unable to fulfil the untold potential of a full life. Life is precious and fleeting. I woke up having never heard of Edmead -- I will go to bed wondering had he not had that accident, would every baseball fan know his name?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bull ... edo_Edmead
steve49

Alfredo Edmead

Post by steve49 »

5354786F791A0 wrote: I have been a Pirate fan since about 1970 and I never knew of Edmead.  After reading Gammons story, I googled Edmead and linked to this story from Baseball Reference.   As disclaimers go, this account is pretty disturbing.  Made my eyes water. 

Today and Monday I will go to the cemetery to honor those whose lives ended too soon, unable to fulfil the untold potential of a full life.   Life is precious and fleeting.  I woke up having never heard of Edmead -- I will go to bed wondering had he not had that accident, would every baseball fan know his name?       

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bull ... edo_Edmead

Yes , no doubt horribly tragic. Not for nothing but if you read Cruz's version in the link , he says Alfredo did not crash into the knee with the brace as some (your link)reported.
GreenWeenie

Alfredo Edmead

Post by GreenWeenie »

7176677467363B020 wrote: I had forgotten about that, but this made me remember him.  I wasn't aware that he was so highly regarded, though.

The number was 20.

Figure you have 30 first round picks per year. Being conservative , say you just take 9 year vets and younger. That would mean that 20 of the 270 picks made the All Star game.

I was thinking of long-time veterans, like those "feel good/washed up guys" who make their ASG curtain calls, so 15 or even 20 years. If you go that far out, then it's even rarer.

So, I guess that just goes to show how tough it is to predict the players who will go onto bigger and better things, even just once.