Game Thread - 9/17 - Keystone Bumblers vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: Polanco!!!  :D

This is the start of his latest four game hot streak.  Hang on to your hat, it's going to be a wild ride.  Short, but wild.
BenM

Post by BenM »

05151423353539560 wrote: I do not understand what Bob's plan is.  I don't see a relocation viable without expansion, and I think cities would rather have an expansion team than the Nutting owned Pirates.  I believe that the new GM/Manager was simply an effort to keep the team's grip on more season ticket-holders than they would have by standing pat.  But I can't believe that this short season will help ticket sales next year.    If he's keeping the team, he's planning on profiting without winning or selling tickets.  If he's planning on selling, I would think fan loyalty/excitement would pay dividends and the acrimony he's cultivated would hold down the price. 

I moved to Pittsburgh in 1972, and have the ticket stub to that season's September 30 game framed on my wall.  Over the years, this team has made me proud and broken my heart.  But this owner has nearly made them something, that to me, I would have thought impossible:  irrelevant.   

Bob Nutting is the ninth wealthiest owner in MLB right now.  He will be 10th when MLB signs off on Cohen buying the Mutts.

The plan you say?  When crowds are allowed to come back, they better support this poorly run and owned organization or else Bob will cry poor once again and cut payroll.  There will come a point in time that the Washington Wild Things have a bigger payroll.  There is no plan to be good as long as he is making money.  The dolt had a great opportunity to make a boatload when the Pirates got to the playoffs.  Instead of going out and getting that missing piece or two, AJB, RussMart, Walker, Blanton, Happ all gone and Ryan Vogelsong and Jon Neise were the pieces to the promise land.  That told me all I needed to know about Nutting.

I've seen that posted here before. Do you know where that stat comes from?

I ask because, outside of owning the Pirates, he isn't a major player in the assets he owns. Outside of the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post, the newspaper industry is in a brutal decline. (McClatchy newspapers declared bankruptcy earlier this year.) And Seven Springs may be a nice resort, but it's more of a regional player than national.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5473785B160 wrote: I do not understand what Bob's plan is.  I don't see a relocation viable without expansion, and I think cities would rather have an expansion team than the Nutting owned Pirates.  I believe that the new GM/Manager was simply an effort to keep the team's grip on more season ticket-holders than they would have by standing pat.  But I can't believe that this short season will help ticket sales next year.    If he's keeping the team, he's planning on profiting without winning or selling tickets.  If he's planning on selling, I would think fan loyalty/excitement would pay dividends and the acrimony he's cultivated would hold down the price. 

I moved to Pittsburgh in 1972, and have the ticket stub to that season's September 30 game framed on my wall.  Over the years, this team has made me proud and broken my heart.  But this owner has nearly made them something, that to me, I would have thought impossible:  irrelevant.   

Bob Nutting is the ninth wealthiest owner in MLB right now.  He will be 10th when MLB signs off on Cohen buying the Mutts.

The plan you say?  When crowds are allowed to come back, they better support this poorly run and owned organization or else Bob will cry poor once again and cut payroll.  There will come a point in time that the Washington Wild Things have a bigger payroll.  There is no plan to be good as long as he is making money.  The dolt had a great opportunity to make a boatload when the Pirates got to the playoffs.  Instead of going out and getting that missing piece or two, AJB, RussMart, Walker, Blanton, Happ all gone and Ryan Vogelsong and Jon Neise were the pieces to the promise land.  That told me all I needed to know about Nutting.

I ask because, outside of owning the Pirates, he isn't a major player in the assets he owns. Outside of the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post, the newspaper industry is in a brutal decline. (McClatchy newspapers declared bankruptcy earlier this year.) And Seven Springs may be a nice resort, but it's more of a regional player than national.
Forbes published it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Brault pitching into the 7th??? Did Shelton fall asleep and miss a chance to make a move just for the sake of making a move?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Wow! CG for Brault!!! A CG 2-hitter and he retired the last 16 batters.

And good for Shelton for letting him go the distance. There is a benefit to pitching CGs. You could see how happy and proud Brault was after the game. Pitching a CG shows a pitcher that he doesn't need any help and gives him confidence for future games. When mgrs routinely pull starters it suggests a belief by the mgr that the starter can't finish the game and has to be replaced before it's too late. This can only help Brault's career. And it was nice to see Polanco contribute.
BenM

Post by BenM »

6D404D5C5B4A5D1D1E2F0 wrote: I do not understand what Bob's plan is.  I don't see a relocation viable without expansion, and I think cities would rather have an expansion team than the Nutting owned Pirates.  I believe that the new GM/Manager was simply an effort to keep the team's grip on more season ticket-holders than they would have by standing pat.  But I can't believe that this short season will help ticket sales next year.    If he's keeping the team, he's planning on profiting without winning or selling tickets.  If he's planning on selling, I would think fan loyalty/excitement would pay dividends and the acrimony he's cultivated would hold down the price. 

Forbes published it.

Thank you. It looks like the decline of the newspaper industry is showing up in his net worth. He's no longer in their top ten this year. (pre-Cohen).
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: Wow! CG for Brault!!! A CG 2-hitter and he retired the last 16 batters.

And good for Shelton for letting him go the distance. There is a benefit to pitching CGs. You could see how happy and proud Brault was after the game. Pitching a CG shows a pitcher that he doesn't need any help and gives him confidence for future games. When mgrs routinely pull starters it suggests a belief by the mgr that the starter can't finish the game and has to be replaced before it's too late. This can only help Brault's career. And it was nice to see Polanco contribute. 
Brault was amazing! I really enjoyed the post game interview and his exuberance. I agree that this should boost his confidence and hopefully he becomes consistent. It would be nice to see him develop into a John Smiley, Zane Smith or even a Randy Tomlin type of lefty. The talent is there. His change up was impressive tonight. I still wish they would let him hit!