Josh Bell to Nats

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by Bobster21 »

Bell was a good hitter for 3 months of 2017 and 3 months of 2019. The rest of his career, not so much. Between the prolonged slumps, the poor fielding and the inability to throw a baseball, I won't miss him. He's the Nats' problem now.

Curious to see how these pitchers turn out since it represents BC's first evaluation of players he trades for.
fjk090852-7

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by fjk090852-7 »

77565E775C54330 wrote: 93.7 the Fan was talking about the trade. 

Crowe projects to be a 4-5 starter like Roark.  Rated as Nats #3 Prospect by MLB.com.  He is age 26 though

Yean is projected to be a top-line starter as he develops.  Rated as the Nats #6 Prospect by MLB.com  He is only 19 yrs old. 

I rate this a fairly good trade.  Bell will be a FA in two years and the Bucs would never spend the money that Boras is going to want for Bell.  I think this should have been done last pre-season and maybe we could have gotten better prospects. 

It will be interesting to see how the 1B-DH situation plays out for the Bucs this season.
I am going to guess that they pursue a right handed hitter to platoon with Moran to play first base. They are really stocking up on the pitching prospects. Some of these guys are going to be moved for hitters.
Osushawn

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by Osushawn »

I like it. Two pitchers where we were struggling to compete there and everyone knew we were punting Bell. I like Yean long term and Crowe will fill in at some point this year.
Ecbucs

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by Ecbucs »

5D787B7B6E4578707265170 wrote: Sounds like Crowe will be in the rotation this year while Yean is a high upside 19 year old. What I don’t understand is the Pirates fascination with RHP. We need some balance with some lefties.

However when it comes to the 2021 draft we had better take Rocker with the #1 pick.

What is our payroll now $25M??

no lefties and no catchers.

Probably not needed until the team is ready to contend (insert maniacal laughter)
DemDog

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by DemDog »

Per John Dreker on PBN:

Pirates GM Ben Cherington had this quote for the media:

“Wil Crowe commands a solid fastball and several good secondary pitches. He brings a strong reputation and work ethic, and has a chance to compete for Major League innings in 2021,” said Cherington. “Eddy Yean is a Dominican League prospect who was one of the better young pitchers in the short season in 2019. He has a mid-90’s fastball to go along with a promising slider and changeup. Yean will join a growing group of promising starting pitching prospects within our minor league system.”
GreenWeenie

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by GreenWeenie »

:-X6569606D7A267C6165677C60713A38486F65080 wrote: Punt.

GW, you're too short-sighted. When this guy Yean develops we can turn around and trade him for a pair of 19-year-olds in A ball.

A Yinzer Steal!

We got two guys who can't hit AND dumped payroll.

Life is pretty darned GOOD!
rucker59@gmail.com

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Frankly, I was completely off the island until Bell was moved. I like Josh but he's clearly too inconsistent for a team like the Pirates AND there was no way Bell was going to be part of the future. I pretty much rejected last summer as having nothing to do with the Pirates. It was a meaningless season from my prospective (I guess most people would say most seasons are meaningless). But last summer....nothing to watch.

I've been waiting for BC to move Bell. We can see what BC's plan is - stock pile pitching. I've no problem with that, except that was NH's plan as well and we wound up with a bunch of guys between 4-5 and never-was. Ben will hopefully be better at evaluating.

I'll now look forward to watching a team come together. Hopefully.
shedman

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by shedman »

MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reported that the Pirates will get right-handed pitchers Will Crowe and Eddy Yean in return.

The trade doesn't necessarily come as a shock, but it does signal a definitive direction for the Pirates: They are absolutely rebuilding, no matter what they do or say.

Bell was their biggest piece, and they moved him for future talent that's years away from the majors.
Bobster21

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by Bobster21 »

617A77767F737C120 wrote: MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reported that the Pirates will get right-handed pitchers Will Crowe and Eddy Yean in return.

The trade doesn't necessarily come as a shock, but it does signal a definitive direction for the Pirates: They are absolutely rebuilding, no matter what they do or say.

Bell was their biggest piece, and they moved him for future talent that's years away from the majors.
Crowe may be in the 2021 rotation.
Ecbucs

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by Ecbucs »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reported that the Pirates will get right-handed pitchers Will Crowe and Eddy Yean in return.

Crowe may be in the 2021 rotation.

My guess is that they expect Crowe to be in the rotation making it easier to trade anyone else. I think they other guy is one who they hope turns into a good starter. If Crowe turns into a good starter that would be a great.