Josh Bell to Nats

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by Ecbucs »

new thread on what SCBucco mentions in Christmas thread

The Nationals have acquired first baseman Josh Bell from the Pirates in exchange for a pair of young pitchers, reports ESPN’s Jeff Passan. Right-handers Wil Crowe and Eddy Yean are headed to the Pirates in the deal, tweets MLB Network’s Jon Heyman. Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette first reported that the two teams were closing in on a trade.

now the Bucs don't have to worry about overpaying Bell.

Per MLBTRs:  Pirates Trade Josh Bell to Nationals[reason]To give more details and links to the trade[/reason]
maher.timothy20@gm

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Are these guys any good?
Ecbucs

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by Ecbucs »

from Fangraphs December 2019 article on Nats prospects

4. Wil Crowe, RHPVideo

Drafted: 2nd Round, 2017 from South Carolina (WSN)

Age 25.3 Height 6′ 2″ Weight 240 Bat / Thr R / R FV 45

Tool Grades (Present/Future)

Fastball Slider Curveball Changeup Command Sits/Tops

55/55 50/50 50/55 55/55 45/50 91-94 / 96

There are some long-term health questions with Crowe — his market was diluted by knee and elbow concerns coming out of high school, he’s a bigger-bodied guy, and he blew out about halfway through his sophomore year at South Carolina — but he’s ready for a big league rotation right now. Crowe has above-average stuff, his fastball and pair of breaking balls are all capable of missing bats, and we’ve seen good changeups from him, too. He has imprecise control of everything, and instead just tries to bully hitters with a pretty even mix of the repertoire in competitive locations. He resembles Tanner Roark in many ways and projects to be a starter of similar quality, probably beginning at some point next year.

7. Eddy Yean, RHP

Signed: July 2nd Period, 2017 from Dominican Republic (WSN)

Age 18.5 Height 6′ 1″ Weight 180 Bat / Thr R / R FV 40+

Tool Grades (Present/Future)

Fastball Slider Changeup Command Sits/Tops

50/60 50/55 45/55 40/50 91-94 / 96

Yean has stuff typical of most late first or early second round high school arms. He has a fairly projectable frame, his heater reaches the mid-90s, there’s precocious changeup and slider feel, and Yean goes right at hitters. He was targeted by sellers at the deadline and has mid-rotation upside.
JollyRoger

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by JollyRoger »

Sounds like Crowe will be in the rotation this year while Yean is a high upside 19 year old. What I don’t understand is the Pirates fascination with RHP. We need some balance with some lefties.

However when it comes to the 2021 draft we had better take Rocker with the #1 pick.

What is our payroll now $25M??
WildwoodDave2

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1F3A39392C073A323027550 wrote: Sounds like Crowe will be in the rotation this year while Yean is a high upside 19 year old. What I don’t understand is the Pirates fascination with RHP. We need some balance with some lefties.

However when it comes to the 2021 draft we had better take Rocker with the #1 pick.

What is our payroll now $25M??
I believe Shedman will be aggressing that shortly
maher.timothy20@gm

Josh Bell to Nats

I just poked around on some Nationals message boards and I don't see anybody particularly broken up about what they gave up.

At least one person thinks the Nats shouldn't have given up Yean but the other guy nobody's sad to see him go.

I guess they had to get what they could get. Bell will be long-gone by the time the Pirates are any good again and you can't wallpaper over his defense and the way he's hit since June 2019 or so.

Not that any of this shit matters if we don't get a salary cap soon.
mouse

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by mouse »

Well, this is what happens when you take a nap.
DemDog

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by DemDog »

93.7 the Fan was talking about the trade.

Crowe projects to be a 4-5 starter like Roark. Rated as Nats #3 Prospect by MLB.com. He is age 26 though

Yean is projected to be a top-line starter as he develops. Rated as the Nats #6 Prospect by MLB.com He is only 19 yrs old.

I rate this a fairly good trade. Bell will be a FA in two years and the Bucs would never spend the money that Boras is going to want for Bell. I think this should have been done last pre-season and maybe we could have gotten better prospects.

It will be interesting to see how the 1B-DH situation plays out for the Bucs this season.
GreenWeenie

Josh Bell to Nats

Post by GreenWeenie »

Punt.
maher.timothy20@gm

Josh Bell to Nats

764354545F6654545F5854310 wrote: Punt.

GW, you're too short-sighted. When this guy Yean develops we can turn around and trade him for a pair of 19-year-olds in A ball.