The Bucs And Free Agents

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by SCBucco »

6864653E373E363B3C23390E0 wrote: Several free agent pitchers have signed this week, and the Pirates have stood pat. I know it is going to be a difficult season, but they need to sign at least one veteran  starting pitcher to eat some innings to save the bullpen guys arms.

Feel they should sign two bullpen arms. Still a few out there that you can flip at the TDL.
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We are about 10 days until pitchers and catchers report, so I would expect some free agent signings during this next week. The Pirates keep saying they are looking for pitching as well as an outfielder who could also backup at first base. The starting pitcher list keep gets less and less so I hope they can get someone signed very soon.
SCBucco

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by SCBucco »

5955540F060F070A0D12083F0 wrote: We are about 10 days until pitchers and catchers report, so I would expect some free agent signings during this next week. The Pirates keep saying they are looking for pitching as well as an outfielder who could also backup at first base. The starting pitcher list keep gets less and less so I hope they can get someone signed very soon.

On the surface, I would agree with you. Something should be announced relatively soon on the starting pitching and OF front, but I bet this is a last minute announcement before ST to save $25.
WildwoodDave2

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1000013620202C430 wrote: Just took a look at the MLB Trade Rumors site to see who was left as starting pitchers.  Somewhat surprisingly, I believe there are 28 starting pitchers who remain on their list.   With few exceptions, most notably Trevor Baeur, most of the pitchers have quite a few warts.

Following is the list that I identified:

Chase Anderson

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Chris Archer

Jake Arrieta

Homer Bailey

Trevor Baeur

Trevor Cahill

Mike Fiers

Mike Folkynewiecz (sp)

Zack Godfrey

Gio Gonzalez

Cole Hamels

Felix Hernandez

Rich Hill

Wade LeBlanc

Mike Leake

Tommy Milone

Jake Ordozzi

James Paxton

Rick Porcello

Tyson Ross

Jeff Smardezja (sp)

Anibal Sanchez

Matt Shoemaker

Julio Teheran

Tajuan Walker

Jordan Zimmerman

So, out of this list,

1)  Who do you believe the Bucs may try to pursue, and

2)  Who do you believe would consent to pitching for Pittsburgh?   

While I have no clue regarding both questions, I am going to guess Teheran, LeBlanc, and one of the Anderson's.

I loved the inclusion of Bauer.

LeBlanc, Archer have signed elsewhere.

I would try to sign two that have some degree of success and if they recover it, they can be dealt at the TDL for more assets.

I would add Collin McHugh to the list of someone to approach.  He has that type of resume that can get something decent at the tDL.  Brad Peacock is another.  He is the ultimate swing guy that can start or relieve.

I'd look at Folty (can't spell his name), Leake, Paxton and Walker.
who do you believe would consent to pitching in Pittsburgh? I would start with= Anyone who hasn't signed by the start of Spring Training which means no one wants them and they are too embarrassed to file for unemployment
Bobster21

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by Bobster21 »

112F2A22312929220227302374460 wrote:

who do you believe would consent to pitching in Pittsburgh? I would start with= Anyone who hasn't signed by the start of Spring Training which means no one wants them and they are too embarrassed to file for unemployment

That sounds pretty close to the truth. No FA pitcher wants to go to the Pirates if he could go to any of the other 29 teams. For those that haven't found a team as ST begins, "beggars can't be choosers." Pitching in the majors with the Pirates is better than not pitching at all since it affords the opportunity to get noticed by other teams and possibly get moved at the TDL. Or at least to try to enhance their value to another team the following year.
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I agree it will be tough for a player to want to play for the Pirates during this rebuild, but here is my list of remaining free agents that possibly the Pirates could get to sign a one year contract.

Mitch Moreland

C J Cron

Brian Goodwin

Neil Walker

Ben Gamel

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Colin McHugh

Taijuan Walker

Rick Porcello

Some of these guys may be not interested in signing with the Pirates, but it is worth the attempt to offer a contract.
WildwoodDave2

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

040809525B525A57504F55620 wrote: I agree it will be tough for a player to want to play for the Pirates during this rebuild, but here is my list of remaining free agents that possibly the Pirates could get to sign a one year contract.

Mitch Moreland

C J Cron

Brian Goodwin

Neil Walker

Ben Gamel

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Colin McHugh

Taijuan Walker

Rick Porcello

Some of these guys may be not interested in signing with the Pirates, but it is worth the attempt to offer a contract.
In your opinion,are any of these players worth a 2
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

447A7F77647C7C775772657621130 wrote: I agree it will be tough for a player to want to play for the Pirates during this rebuild, but here is my list of remaining free agents that possibly the Pirates could get to sign a one year contract.

Mitch Moreland

C J Cron

Brian Goodwin

Neil Walker

Ben Gamel

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Colin McHugh

Taijuan Walker

Rick Porcello

I am not real familiar with the rating system. Probably none of the above players are worth a 2, but in my opinion the Bucs need some veterans to their roster. Taillon, Musgrove and Bell all were veteran players for the younger players to look up to, so let’s say a player like Neil Walker can bring that veteran presence to the locker room.
SCBucco

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by SCBucco »

5B57560D040D05080F100A3D0 wrote: I agree it will be tough for a player to want to play for the Pirates during this rebuild, but here is my list of remaining free agents that possibly the Pirates could get to sign a one year contract.

Mitch Moreland

C J Cron

Brian Goodwin

Neil Walker

Ben Gamel

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Colin McHugh

Taijuan Walker

Rick Porcello

I think BC is very calculated in his signees from here on out.  Guys that could have value at the TDL he can flip for assets.  Walker, not Neil, fits that mold.  Problem, others would be interested.  Porcello is the innings eater of the crew.  Need on or two of those.  The brothers Anderson don't do much for me.  Moreland is a candidate that could be flipped. Same with McHugh.
WildwoodDave2

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4E4243181118101D1A051F280 wrote: I agree it will be tough for a player to want to play for the Pirates during this rebuild, but here is my list of remaining free agents that possibly the Pirates could get to sign a one year contract.

Mitch Moreland

C J Cron

Brian Goodwin

Neil Walker

Ben Gamel

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Colin McHugh

Taijuan Walker

Rick Porcello

I am not real familiar with the rating system. Probably none of the above players are worth a 2, but in my opinion the Bucs need some veterans to their roster. Taillon, Musgrove and Bell all were veteran players for the younger players to look up to, so let’s say a player like Neil Walker can bring that veteran presence to the locker room.
Well,if they signed Neil Walker, at least his parents would show up at PNC