MLB Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

MLB Draft

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

the Bucs' came up pretty empty regarding major league talent when they tried a similar approach and loaded up on signing high school arms and spiriting them away from college by paying over-slot money

It's another little story that eventually faded away: they hired NH's old Amherst baseball coach as a consultant. Was supposed to be an expert on mechanics.
rucker59@gmail.com

MLB Draft

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I had never heard of Frelick until the OP by fjk.  Now I’ve seen his name several places and an article.  Seen him described as a future lead off batter.  1-1 on a leadoff guy?  Please, no. 

But I’m wondering if the Pirates are planting his name around to ease the shock.  He will surely take a big slot discount. Still, I’ve got a bad feeling here…
Surgnbuck

MLB Draft

Post by Surgnbuck »

3730262E2037707C052228242C296B262A28450 wrote: I had never heard of Frelick until the OP by fjk.  Now I’ve seen his name several places and an article.  Seen him described as a future lead off batter.  1-1 on a leadoff guy?  Please, no. 

But I’m wondering if the Pirates are planting his name around to ease the shock.  He will surely take a big slot discount.  Still, I’ve got a bad feeling here…
The Pirates have been doing a run down on possible draft picks on ATT Sportsnet, covering each possible pick.

That was the first time I heard of Frelick. I was like, "Who?" I don't recall seeing his name in any mock draft tied to the Pirates.

When I dug in and tried to get some info on him, my first thought was, "This is the guy they are going to get. Why else would his name pop up out of the clear blue...on the Pirates television broadcast partner." And what I was seeing, I have no idea how his name is even remotely being considered to be a 1-1, unless they think he'll sign for 50 grand or something. This has Sanchez/Moskos/etc. etc. written all over it.

I have stated emphatically I know nothing of the amateurs, and only get interested in the 1st round pick as it nears because you start hearing about these guys. So even this guy threw me for a loop.

Really scares me the first I hear of him is on ATT Sportsnet Pittsburgh.
rucker59@gmail.com

MLB Draft

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

604641545D51465058330 wrote: I had never heard of Frelick until the OP by fjk.  Now I’ve seen his name several places and an article.  Seen him described as a future lead off batter.  1-1 on a leadoff guy?  Please, no. 

But I’m wondering if the Pirates are planting his name around to ease the shock.  He will surely take a big slot discount.  Still, I’ve got a bad feeling here…
The Pirates have been doing a run down on possible draft picks on ATT Sportsnet, covering each possible pick. 

That was the first time I heard of Frelick. I was like, "Who?" I don't recall seeing his name in any mock draft tied to the Pirates.

When I dug in and tried to get some info on him, my first thought was, "This is the guy they are going to get. Why else would his name pop up out of the clear blue...on the Pirates television broadcast partner."  And what I was seeing, I have no idea how his name is even remotely being considered to be a 1-1, unless they think he'll sign for 50 grand or something. This has Sanchez/Moskos/etc. etc. written all over it.

I have stated emphatically I know nothing of the amateurs, and only get interested in the 1st round pick as it nears because you start hearing about these guys. So even this guy threw me for a loop.

Really scares me the first I hear of him is on ATT Sportsnet Pittsburgh.

Wow. I didn’t know about the Pirate TV “introduction”. That points to exactly what I am thinking about Frelick’s name suddenly appearing in print: the Pirates are planting his name to justify his 1-1 selection.

I also though Moskos and Sanchez. O man….
Javy

MLB Draft

Post by Javy »

If Frelick is the top pick, that would be a travesty.

Yes, the organization needs more talent, but in this case, you have an opportunity to draft a cornerstone player that can be an integral part of the next playoff caliber team in a couple years. That said, the pick should be Marcelo Meyer, or, Henry Davis

Frelick, even though he may be a legitimate lead-off type hitter, simply does not help you get there. If they select him, it is simply a financial decision tied to a previously flawed

philosophy undertaken by the previous regime.
Surgnbuck

MLB Draft

Post by Surgnbuck »

6A6D7B737D6A2D21587F75797174367B7775180 wrote:

Wow.  I didn’t know about the Pirate TV “introduction”.  That points to exactly what I am thinking about Frelick’s name suddenly appearing in print: the Pirates are planting his name to justify his 1-1 selection. 

I also though Moskos and Sanchez.  O man….

I just looked at a bunch of different mock drafts, I think 9 all told. Two things stood out- every single one of them had the Pirates taking Mayer. The other was this Frelick gent- He was as high as 5, and the lowest I saw him was 16th.

The common thread on him is even for his size, he's one of the closest to MLB ready players. Except for when I saw him predicted at 5 to the Orioles, all the other teams have a CF need, or are teams that are close to being contenders, and need another piece or two.

So him going to the Pirates would be doubly odd, unless they plan on starting him pretty much out of the gate, moving Reynolds back to LF and a cast of thousands auditioning for RF. And of course, taking over for Frazier in the leadoff spot.

He's a left handed hitter, maybe they think he'll be able to increase his power numbers with the Clemente Wall.

I just can't help but think Alex Presley 2.0
Ecbucs

MLB Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

To me, Frelich is not the kind of player that goes 1-1. He may be very good, but this should be a chance to get one of best players in baseball,

not just a solid player. report of Frelick:

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2021/05 ... l-frelick/
JollyRoger

MLB Draft

Post by JollyRoger »

4962757A030 wrote: If Frelick is the top pick, that would be a travesty.

Yes, the organization needs more talent, but in this case, you have an opportunity to draft a cornerstone player that can be an integral part of the next playoff caliber team in a couple years. That said, the pick should be Marcelo Meyer, or, Henry Davis

Frelick, even though he may be a legitimate lead-off type hitter, simply does not help you get there. If they select him, it is simply a financial decision tied to a previously flawed

philosophy undertaken by the previous regime.

I am not a scout but if the Bucs choose Frelick then I am done with them. You might as well get another Doug Frobel.

I originally was high on Rocker but Leiter out performed him this year. I am a little nervous drafting a pitcher after the Benson, Bullington, and JVB washouts. Cole being the exception. However I will be OK with either Leiter or Marcelo Mayer. I like his comparisons to Cory Seager! A Mayor/Gonzalez duo could be another Correa/Altuve. That would be a solid start

The Bucs have the highest draft budget; they better not go too cheap on the number 1 pick.
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB Draft

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

022425322434470 wrote: To me, Frelich is not the kind of player that goes 1-1.  He may be very good, but this should be a chance to get one of best players in baseball,

not just a solid player.  report of Frelick:

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2021/05 ... l-frelick/

Thanks for the link. The video of him hitting certainly wasn't an endorsement of his talent. He either hit weak choppers, swung and missed, or struck out. The person who posted that video must hate him.
Surgnbuck

MLB Draft

Post by Surgnbuck »

Bump. MLB and ESPN carrying the draft starting at 7. MLB Network has an hour run up show, and Neil Walker got some props!!!!