MLB Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

MLB Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There have been much written about who the Pirates will take at #1 in Sunday’s Draft. I just saw an article that Sal Frelick an outfielder from Boston College could be one of the 7 or 8 finalists that the Bucs could choose from. I will admit I don’t follow the college and high school players like some, but if the Pirates draft Frelick I will be greatly disappointed. He has never been listed as #1 in any mock drafts, and all I can think of is that Tony Sanchez was a BC draftee who never materialized for the Pirates. Frelick might become a fine player, but I don’t feel he is a 1-1 draft choice.
Ecbucs

MLB Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

2925247F767F777A7D62784F0 wrote: There have been much written about who the Pirates will take at #1 in Sunday’s Draft. I just saw an article that Sal Frelick an outfielder from Boston College could be one of the 7 or 8 finalists that the Bucs could choose from. I will admit I don’t follow the college and high school players like some, but if the Pirates draft Frelick I will be greatly disappointed. He has never been listed as #1 in any mock drafts, and all I can think of is that Tony Sanchez was a BC draftee who never materialized for the Pirates. Frelick might become a fine player, but I don’t feel he is a 1-1 draft choice.

I agree, no power outfielder isn't needed 1-1. Seems like a high school shortstop would be better than him. Could be another way of just putting names out there to let whoever they pick they weren't a clear choice. (Although after whoever it is signs the Bucs will say they always wanted him).
Surgnbuck

MLB Draft

Post by Surgnbuck »

But Tony Sanchez did hit that awesome double against the Angels that stuck inside the scoreboard. Never would have had that moment!
rucker59@gmail.com

MLB Draft

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

260001160010630 wrote: There have been much written about who the Pirates will take at #1 in Sunday’s Draft. I just saw an article that Sal Frelick an outfielder from Boston College could be one of the 7 or 8 finalists that the Bucs could choose from. I will admit I don’t follow the college and high school players like some, but if the Pirates draft Frelick I will be greatly disappointed. He has never been listed as #1 in any mock drafts, and all I can think of is that Tony Sanchez was a BC draftee who never materialized for the Pirates. Frelick might become a fine player, but I don’t feel he is a 1-1 draft choice.

I agree, no power outfielder isn't needed 1-1.  Seems like a high school shortstop would be better than him.  Could be another way of just putting names out there to let whoever they pick they weren't a clear choice.  (Although after whoever it is signs the Bucs will say they always wanted him).

After reading today’s PG article on the draft, It seems pretty clear to me that the Pirates are planning to save some slot money for the 1-1 pick and allocate to the lower rounds. That being the case I don’t see the Pirates picking any of the top three college guys (the two pitchers and Davis the catcher). I suspect it will be one of the HS shortstops or a college kid like Frilick.

That would be a major disappoint to me. I’m still on Davis, but it doesn’t seem like the Pirates have any interest.
Ecbucs

MLB Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

2F283E36382F68641D3A303C3431733E32305D0 wrote: There have been much written about who the Pirates will take at #1 in Sunday’s Draft. I just saw an article that Sal Frelick an outfielder from Boston College could be one of the 7 or 8 finalists that the Bucs could choose from. I will admit I don’t follow the college and high school players like some, but if the Pirates draft Frelick I will be greatly disappointed. He has never been listed as #1 in any mock drafts, and all I can think of is that Tony Sanchez was a BC draftee who never materialized for the Pirates. Frelick might become a fine player, but I don’t feel he is a 1-1 draft choice.

I agree, no power outfielder isn't needed 1-1.  Seems like a high school shortstop would be better than him.  Could be another way of just putting names out there to let whoever they pick they weren't a clear choice.  (Although after whoever it is signs the Bucs will say they always wanted him).

After reading today’s PG article on the draft, It seems pretty clear to me that the Pirates are planning to save some slot money for the 1-1 pick and allocate to the lower rounds.  That being the case I don’t see the Pirates picking any of the top three college guys (the two pitchers and Davis the catcher).  I suspect it will be one of the HS shortstops or a college kid like Frilick. 

That would be a major disappoint to me.  I’m still on Davis, but it doesn’t seem like the Pirates have any interest. 

could be the team is interested in another catcher that they think can be there at their next pick or two. I would hate for team to pass on one of the top three catchers in this draft.
MaineBucs

MLB Draft

Post by MaineBucs »

Nothing against folks who are less than tall, but Frillick is listed at 5' 9", and he has shown little to no power in college.

While Frazier and Hayes are both listed at 5' 10', I believe that height is less of a concern for infielders than outfielders.

I am not a draft expert or even a knowledgeable draft novice, but based on the mock drafts I have read, I too would be extremely disappointed if Frillick is the team's # 1 pick. I believe you need to spend to try and get the best talent that you can when it is available (hopefully the team will not 'earn' by losing' the #1 draft pick each year).

Also, while the current rules for draft picks are now much different than even the recent past, the Bucs' came up pretty empty regarding major league talent when they tried a similar approach and loaded up on signing high school arms and spiriting them away from college by paying over-slot money. Don't remember all of them at present, but Zach Rosenberg (now a college football punter) sticks out.
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB Draft

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I have no idea who the best pick will be, and we probably won’t know for three to five years but, speaking in general terms, I think I’d lean towards a college player, unless there’s a high schooler who is an amazing talent. Eligible college players are two to four years older, they’ve likely played against better competition, they have more experience, and their bodies are closer to what they’ll be as professionals. It would seem that they’re easier to assess, which would reduce the chance for a mistake.
WildwoodDave2

MLB Draft

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

3365736768726269647341666C60686D2F62010 wrote: I have no idea who the best pick will be, and we probably won’t know for three to five years but, speaking in general terms, I think I’d lean towards a college player, unless there’s a high schooler who is an amazing talent.  Eligible college players are two to four years older, they’ve likely played against better competition, they have more experience, and their bodies are closer to what they’ll be as professionals.  It would seem that they’re easier to assess, which would reduce the chance for a mistake.
I have to go along with doc
Ecbucs

MLB Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

7C42474F5C44444F6F4A5D4E192B0 wrote: I have no idea who the best pick will be, and we probably won’t know for three to five years but, speaking in general terms, I think I’d lean towards a college player, unless there’s a high schooler who is an amazing talent.  Eligible college players are two to four years older, they’ve likely played against better competition, they have more experience, and their bodies are closer to what they’ll be as professionals.  It would seem that they’re easier to assess, which would reduce the chance for a mistake.

I agree with both of you. Doesn't sound like there is a Ken Griffey Jr. or Bryce Harper this season. Plus a college player that is supposed to make it in 2-3 years fits in with most of the prospects BC has acquired so far.
UtahPirate

MLB Draft

Post by UtahPirate »

765051465040330 wrote: I have no idea who the best pick will be, and we probably won’t know for three to five years but, speaking in general terms, I think I’d lean towards a college player, unless there’s a high schooler who is an amazing talent.  Eligible college players are two to four years older, they’ve likely played against better competition, they have more experience, and their bodies are closer to what they’ll be as professionals.  It would seem that they’re easier to assess, which would reduce the chance for a mistake.

I agree with both of you.  Doesn't sound like there is a Ken Griffey Jr. or Bryce Harper this season.  Plus a college player that is supposed to make it in 2-3 years fits in with most of the prospects BC has acquired so far.

It's funny, I was having a discussion with my oldest son (M's fan) about the draft today. After getting all excited for so many years and watching so many high picks never make it with us, I told him I would never take a high school arm. I would never take a collegiate power bat that can't play a position. I would ignore all the analysts and take the most athletic college kid I can find who can hit. Checking his numbers and history as a 3-sport HS star and how well he has advanced both in college and summer collegiate leagues, I guess I was basically describing Sal Frelick.

We'll see what we do, but I better live by my words, so I would not be disappointed in Frelick.

July 2021 is the month that basically makes or breaks BC's rebuild.