Re: Holmes To New York

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

290C0F0F1A310C040611630 wrote: I didn’t think we could have received a bag of bagels for Holmes

This is an absolute steal for the Pirates

Park is at AAAScranton/Wilkes Barrie where he leads the league in hitting with a .327 avg, he lead is OBP, Walks, and ranks in the top 5 in runs scored and slugging. He has 11 HR, 10 Doubles, 32 RBI’s in just 58 games

Castillo 23 is hitting .277 with 18 Diubles, 11 HR, 32 RBI’s .850 OPS at AA

How did BC get this return for Holmes????

The thing that jumped out to me is he has 52 walks to 49 Ks and a very healthy .452 OBP.

The Taillon trade with the Yankees was the one where BC really got my attention. Now he does it again with NY.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I know some Pirate fans held out hope that Holmes would evolve into a valuable pitcher but to me he always seemed like a 50/50 chance to pitch well or implode. In 44 appearances this season there were only 15 where he did not give up a hit and/or walk. His WHIP is and always has been poor and that's problematic for a reliever. It would not have surprised me if he had been DFA'd. Cherington must have done some fancy talking to get 2 semi-decent prospects for him.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

I just love what BC is doing . He has filled the lower levels with top players . And now he is filling AAA with solid prospects who should be ready next season for the Pirates .The Newman ,Gonzales and Tuckers are marking time.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

555958030A030B06011E04330 wrote: Here it is from MLBTRs

Holmes to the Yankees
Both infielders have done rather well in the minors. Not many expected Holmes to be traded, so this may become a very interesting week. With all these infielders coming on board, I think we have seen the end of Cole Tucker.

Tucker won’t be missed in any way. I found it interesting that he was never given much of an opportunity. The club must’ve felt he lacked the ability and therefore didn’t waste time with him. I’m not even certain that if he is let go, another team will pick him up. Perhaps one of the bad clubs will but I don’t see him ever being a starter for anyone.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

762036222D37272C2136042329252D286A27440 wrote: Here it is from MLBTRs

Holmes to the Yankees
Both infielders have done rather well in the minors. Not many expected Holmes to be traded, so this may become a very interesting week. With all these infielders coming on board, I think we have seen the end of Cole Tucker.

Tucker won’t be missed in any way.  I found it interesting that he was never given much of an opportunity.  The club must’ve felt he lacked the ability and therefore didn’t waste time with him.  I’m not even certain that if he is let go, another team will pick him up.  Perhaps one of the bad clubs will but I don’t see him ever being a starter for anyone.

He has been about a .260 hitter at AA and AAA and this year at AAA he's at .221. There has just never been a time when he looked ready for MLB and in the limited opportunities he's had in MLB he has barely hit at all. He started this season in Florida trying to work out what the team thought were basic problems with his swing. For that to be the case after 7 years in the organization shows he just doesn't have what it takes. Clearly they have given up on Tucker and when he was recalled this year, it was only to be a warm body off the bench; never to take a good look at him. He's had his chance.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

527F72636475622221100 wrote: Here it is from MLBTRs

Holmes to the Yankees

Tucker won’t be missed in any way.  I found it interesting that he was never given much of an opportunity.  The club must’ve felt he lacked the ability and therefore didn’t waste time with him.  I’m not even certain that if he is let go, another team will pick him up.  Perhaps one of the bad clubs will but I don’t see him ever being a starter for anyone.

He has been about a .260 hitter at AA and AAA and this year at AAA he's at .221. There has just never been a time when he looked ready for MLB and in the limited opportunities he's had in MLB he has barely hit at all. He started this season in Florida trying to work out what the team thought were basic problems with his swing. For that to be the case after 7 years in the organization shows he just doesn't have what it takes. Clearly they have given up on Tucker and when he was recalled this year, it was only to be a warm body off the bench; never to take a good look at him. He's had his chance.

Obviously, I don’t know him. He seems to be very extroverted and to have a big personality. But I wonder how serious he’s been about doing what it takes to succeed. We hear about players “putting in the work” everyday, even when they’re already good. I just wonder if he ever really dedicated himself or if he was just satisfied to be a pro ball player.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Now it`s time to trade Rich Rod and a guy like Bae in a package. We have a bunch of middle infielders and need more starting pitching. Need to find a MLB ready ( to get a chance) kind of pitcher . Wonder what TB would take for Baz? Since we are so bad giving innings to a young starter doesn`t bother me.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

525750565E544D50594A4C41380 wrote: Quick look at those two makes me wonder how in the world we got either one of them for homes let alone both.
Really. This trade looks like highway robbery at first blush. So different from the Frazier trade, where I thought we didn't get enough.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

5A7F7C7C69427F777562100 wrote: I didn’t think we could have received a bag of bagels for Holmes

This is an absolute steal for the Pirates

Park is at AAAScranton/Wilkes Barrie where he leads the league in hitting with a .327 avg, he lead is OBP, Walks, and ranks in the top 5 in runs scored and slugging. He has 11 HR, 10 Doubles, 32 RBI’s in just 58 games

Castillo 23 is hitting .277 with 18 Diubles, 11 HR, 32 RBI’s .850 OPS at AA

How did BC get this return for Holmes????
That's what I'm wondering, JRoger. This looks very lopsided in our favor. Is Park not a big prospect despite his success at AAA?
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

BC is smart, today he looked for trades with teams that have MLB players signed long term .Then goes after the guys below who are blocked .