Re: Official Game Thread - 7/31 - Phillies vs. Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

3C6A7C68677D6D666B7C4E69636F6762206D0E0 wrote: I see that Hoy Jun Park is on the 25-man roster so I assume he’s with the club.  Why isn’t he playing in RF instead of Polanco?  I don’t get it.  BC added a few players this week who can play right now.  So why is time being wasted on Polanco?

They seem to have a habit of bringing someone up for the first time and not playing him on the first day, maybe to just let him get acclimated by sitting the bench for one game.  Not sure it's really needed. Plus, Polanco is hitting 286 in July so they're not going to stop playing him.

But Polanco’s not the future.  It wouldn’t matter to me if he were hitting .486 in July, he’s not going to be here next year.  I get wanting to win games, but giving players who are going to be here an opportunity to get acclimated to Major League Baseball during a lost season should take precedence.

The question now is, do the Pirates chance Polanco playing himself into a $9.5 million player? That's the difference between picking up his contract versus buying out his contract. This is what we may be looking at. Do they feel at some point his throwing strength will come back? He had a pretty good arm before the shoulder injury. If he were to hit his weight with some power, and his defense improved just from an improved arm, they may think so.

His buyout for 2023 is 1 million.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2A7C6A7E716B7B707D6A587F75797174367B180 wrote: I see that Hoy Jun Park is on the 25-man roster so I assume he’s with the club.  Why isn’t he playing in RF instead of Polanco?  I don’t get it.  BC added a few players this week who can play right now.  So why is time being wasted on Polanco?

They seem to have a habit of bringing someone up for the first time and not playing him on the first day, maybe to just let him get acclimated by sitting the bench for one game.  Not sure it's really needed. Plus, Polanco is hitting 286 in July so they're not going to stop playing him.

But Polanco’s not the future.  It wouldn’t matter to me if he were hitting .486 in July, he’s not going to be here next year.  I get wanting to win games, but giving players who are going to be here an opportunity to get acclimated to Major League Baseball during a lost season should take precedence.

That is what's so confusing. Polanco is playing because he's hitting. That's good for trying to win. But there are countless other games when it seems the worst possible lineup is used, or hot players are benched, or effective pitchers are lifted presumably because they are giving others a chance or resting players with no consideration of how it hinders the chance of winning in this lost season. The priority of winning seems to vary from game to game.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

510711050A10000B061123040E020A0F4D00630 wrote: I see that Hoy Jun Park is on the 25-man roster so I assume he’s with the club.  Why isn’t he playing in RF instead of Polanco?  I don’t get it.  BC added a few players this week who can play right now.  So why is time being wasted on Polanco?

That's a good point. Hopefully their thoughts align with yours and they bench him in favor some of the younger guys. 
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

614740555C50475159320 wrote: I see that Hoy Jun Park is on the 25-man roster so I assume he’s with the club.  Why isn’t he playing in RF instead of Polanco?  I don’t get it.  BC added a few players this week who can play right now.  So why is time being wasted on Polanco?

The question now is, do the Pirates chance Polanco playing himself into a $9.5 million player? That's the difference between picking up his contract versus buying out his contract. This is what we may be looking at. Do they feel at some point his throwing strength will come back? He had a pretty good arm before the shoulder injury.  If he were to hit his weight with some power, and his defense improved just from an improved arm, they may think so.

His buyout for 2023 is 1 million.

If the man can start hitting piles of home runs I don't care what his average is much or how many times he strikes out, and I'm ready to move him to first base so we don't need to worry about his arm either.  But even if that were to happen we having one more year and he walks.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

It wasn't mentioned on the board, but yesterday's game started the final 60 games of the season.

The Pirates had already doubled their win output from last season, in less than 120 games.

Does anyone see a 19-41 finish to match last season? Better? Worse?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Pirates flashing the leather this inning!!!

Nogowksi and Brubaker nice job both ends on one play,

Reynolds nice catch on the next.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Castro with the first hit of the game, his first single
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Newman with a triple!!

1-0 Bucs!!!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Brubaker hits a sharp grounder to second, but they're in, Newman holds
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

wow are the Phillies bad defensively....I know the infield is in, but that pop fly was up there forever, CF can't get it, drops in, Newman scores

2-0 Pirates