Bucs hire former TB director of pitching development.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

2D21207B727B737E79667C4B0 wrote: Jason Mackey of the Post Gazette did an article about Robinson, and he sure seems excited about joining the Pirates. He supposedly had other opportunities, but upon his meeting with John Baker he decided he wanted to join the Pirates staff. Maybe I am a dreamer, but I think good times are ahead for the Pirates.

unfortunately, I didn't see this article.  Will Robinson be based in Bradenton?
Appears he will work throughout the organization, but he may spend a lot of his time with the AAA pitchers. I wonder if he can help Mitch Keller become the pitcher the Pirates projected while in the Minors. That would be a bonus!

Link to Mackey's Article
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: Dewey Robinson will serve as Pirates special advisor for pitching development, coaching and player development.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2112210091

Here's a portion of the article:

Robinson, 66, had been with the Rays for the past 12 years and was most recently working as their director of pitching development. The well-regarded pitching instructor stepped down after the 2021 season — his 41st in professional baseball.

The hire is significant for obvious reasons: The Rays are extremely good — arguably the best in Major League Baseball — at developing young pitchers, an area where the Pirates have recently made a push to get better under general manager Ben Cherington.

Before Tampa, Robinson worked for the Astros from 1997-2009, serving as their major league pitching coach his final two years there. He also spent 10 years coaching with the White Sox, at one point serving as their bullpen coach and also as Chicago’s minor league pitching coordinator.

Although Robinson pitched for the White Sox, going 2-2 with a 4.05 ERA in 30 games from 1979-81, he’s most known for his work in the coaching realm and his ability to help young pitchers grow.

After the Pirates’ much-chronicled failures to bring out the best in young pitchers, the hire of Robinson — likely tied to manager Derek Shelton’s Rays tenure — is absolutely a win for the rebuilding organization.

The Rays have long been at the forefront of baseball’s analytics push, often using that knowledge to develop pitchers better — and at a greater volume — than other clubs.

Considering how the Pirates rely so much on developing tbeir own pitchers and how dismally they have failed at doing so, this looks like a good hire.

What's the difference between an advisor and a ***special*** advisor other than money? Guess it looks better on business cards or something.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6C594E4E457C4E4E45424E2B0 wrote: Dewey Robinson will serve as Pirates special advisor for pitching development, coaching and player development.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2112210091

Here's a portion of the article:

Robinson, 66, had been with the Rays for the past 12 years and was most recently working as their director of pitching development. The well-regarded pitching instructor stepped down after the 2021 season — his 41st in professional baseball.

The hire is significant for obvious reasons: The Rays are extremely good — arguably the best in Major League Baseball — at developing young pitchers, an area where the Pirates have recently made a push to get better under general manager Ben Cherington.

Before Tampa, Robinson worked for the Astros from 1997-2009, serving as their major league pitching coach his final two years there. He also spent 10 years coaching with the White Sox, at one point serving as their bullpen coach and also as Chicago’s minor league pitching coordinator.

Although Robinson pitched for the White Sox, going 2-2 with a 4.05 ERA in 30 games from 1979-81, he’s most known for his work in the coaching realm and his ability to help young pitchers grow.

After the Pirates’ much-chronicled failures to bring out the best in young pitchers, the hire of Robinson — likely tied to manager Derek Shelton’s Rays tenure — is absolutely a win for the rebuilding organization.

The Rays have long been at the forefront of baseball’s analytics push, often using that knowledge to develop pitchers better — and at a greater volume — than other clubs.

Considering how the Pirates rely so much on developing tbeir own pitchers and how dismally they have failed at doing so, this looks like a good hire.

What's the difference between an advisor and a ***special*** advisor other than money?  Guess it looks better on business cards or something.

Guess it means he is someone special :D
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Did you have special advisors in your day? Just wondering what they do. Hang around. Give a little advice.

Here's a little advice that he probably WON'T be giving: "Hey! Let's go out and get so and so." ;)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

754057575C6557575C5B57320 wrote: Did you have special advisors in your day?  Just wondering what they do.  Hang around.  Give a little advice. 

Here's a little advice that he probably WON'T be giving:  "Hey!  Let's go out and get so and so."  ;)
I'll be satisfied with "Hey! Let's not have a one size fits all philosophy for our pitchers." ;)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The only philosophy we need is- get guys who know how to get guys out....and, keep them. I'm good with that one.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

424E4F141D141C11160913240 wrote: Jason Mackey of the Post Gazette did an article about Robinson, and he sure seems excited about joining the Pirates. He supposedly had other opportunities, but upon his meeting with John Baker he decided he wanted to join the Pirates staff. Maybe I am a dreamer, but I think good times are ahead for the Pirates.

unfortunately, I didn't see this article.  Will Robinson be based in Bradenton?
Appears he will work  throughout the organization, but he may spend a lot of his time with the AAA pitchers. I wonder if he can help Mitch Keller become the pitcher the Pirates projected while in the Minors. That would be a bonus!

Will the patience we have shown with Keller pay off (and didn't show for Glasnow)?

Looks like Robinson will start with an improved version:

https://rumbunter.com/2022/01/30/pittsb ... le-digits/