JT Brubaker to the Yanks

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate2

Re: JT Brubaker to the Yanks

Post by UtahPirate2 »

This was the best article I found on the trade:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yank ... urgh-deal/

We will see who the PTBNL is, but hopefully there is some possibility there (always hopeful). My guess it would be a young, lower minor guy that is 5 years away.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:16 pm I don't disagree with the decision to trade Brubaker. He has been a poor pitcher. In 3 seasons, he's gone:

1-3, 4.94 ERA
5-13 5.36 ERA
3-12 4.69 ERA

Pitchers like that grow on trees. He's out at least half of this season and who knows how he'll do coming off TJ surgery? At most, he's an innings-eater, defined as able to pitch a lot of innings poorly. Financially, his rather dubious services cost 2.75 million this year, he can go to arbitration next year for more money and is a free agent after next year. And the Pirates have better arms in the minors. There just was no reason to keep him. But it shows the difference between the Pirates and the Yankees. They're willing to take a flyer on Brubaker. The 2.75 million means nothing to them. The PTBNL is most likely conditional based on what, if anything, Brubaker can achieve for NY. If the Yankees think he's worth holding onto for 2025, they aren't scared of arbitration. And if he somehow impresses them enough to keep after 2025, they'll pay him as a free agent. The Yankees have nothing to lose by seeing if Brubaker can become an adequate pitcher. It's only money.
Said Bob Nutting never.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Brubaker will be a star in NY. Kinda like Redford in the great little known movie Brubaker, also starring Morgan Freeman and Yaphet Kotto. "I want pink walls and a window" or something of that nature. :ugeek:
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

UtahPirate2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:38 pm This was the best article I found on the trade:

We will see who the PTBNL is, but hopefully there is some possibility there (always hopeful). My guess it would be a young, lower minor guy that is 5 years away.
While listening to the Ben Cherington Show today he mentioned the Yankees gave the Pirates a list of players to choose from. The Pirates can do their scouting etc., for each player, and there is a certain date in which the Pirates must choose the player. BC did not reveal the date as to when they must choose the player.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:41 pm
UtahPirate2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:38 pm This was the best article I found on the trade:

While listening to the Ben Cherington Show today he mentioned the Yankees gave the Pirates a list of players to choose from. The Pirates can do their scouting etc., for each player, and there is a certain date in which the Pirates must choose the player. BC did not reveal the date as to when they must choose the player.
Considering that Brubaker has never pitched well, and is now trying to come back from TJ surgery, the Yankees could not have offered much, regardless of which of the players the Pirates choose.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bobster wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:35 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:41 pm

Considering that Brubaker has never pitched well, and is now trying to come back from TJ surgery, the Yankees could not have offered much, regardless of which of the players the Pirates choose.
The Bucs did send 550k in international bonus money (not actually money in my understanding) so that should up the ante some.