Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Ecbucs »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:40 am
With these rumors about the Pirates having an interest in Gary Sanchez, I hope the Pirates are not considering trading Henry Davis for a pitcher. I could see them trading Delay as a second or third piece in a trade for a starting pitcher.
Sanchez should only get an invite to spring training on a make or break deal. He is too risky to sign to a major league contract and give up a roster space. I could see with Endy's injury that Pittsburgh may be one of Sanchez's best chance to get playing time but he has to earn it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

With these rumors about the Pirates having an interest in Gary Sanchez, I hope the Pirates are not considering trading Henry Davis for a pitcher. I could see them trading Delay as a second or third piece in a trade for a starting pitcher.
I think that the everyday catching job should go to Davis. With Endy's injury this gives the club an opportunity to see if he can handle the position. If he can't, he becomes the DH/part time right fielder next year. There's still too much to see of him before dealing him away.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Doc wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:49 am
I think that the everyday catching job should go to Davis. With Endy's injury this gives the club an opportunity to see if he can handle the position. If he can't, he becomes the DH/part time right fielder next year. There's still too much to see of him before dealing him away.
Using a #1 overall pick as a DH/part-time RF seems to be a waste. If that is what he becomes it speaks about the Bucs' player acquisition and development team. I can live with Henry's poor defense in RF as long as he can master the hitting and mash some HRs.
Let's Go Bucs
Javy

Post by Javy »

Doc wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:35 pm
Javy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:56 pm They sure are Coach. New ownership in place for 2-3 days and they start acquiring front-line players to supplement a still evolving core.
Seems that we have heard that promise somewhere along the line regarding our ownership. "Spending when the time is right"

Guess we're not there quite yet.
My wife says I may have 25 years of life yet. If she’s right, I still won’t have lived long enough to see “when the time is right”.
I hear that Doc....that could possibly be true for all of us. I really wish someone could make an offer that Bob couldn't refuse, just to give us some renewed hope that things could get better.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Possum wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:07 pm

Using a #1 overall pick as a DH/part-time RF seems to be a waste. If that is what he becomes it speaks about the Bucs' player acquisition and development team. I can live with Henry's poor defense in RF as long as he can master the hitting and mash some HRs.
I agree it would have been a bad pick at #1 but where he’s been drafted is no longer of a concern. If he can hit for a high enough average with power, and actually save us runs by not playing in RF, then that’s all that matters. We can’t force him to be more than he is. If he can be a decent enough catcher I’d rather he play there and have a legit outfielder playing right.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Javy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:23 pm
Doc wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:35 pm
Javy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:56 pm They sure are Coach. New ownership in place for 2-3 days and they start acquiring front-line players to supplement a still evolving core.
Seems that we have heard that promise somewhere along the line regarding our ownership. "Spending when the time is right"

Guess we're not there quite yet.
My wife says I may have 25 years of life yet. If she’s right, I still won’t have lived long enough to see “when the time is right”.
I hear that Doc....that could possibly be true for all of us. I really wish someone could make an offer that Bob couldn't refuse, just to give us some renewed hope that things could get better.
I know there’s a saying about him being the devil we know, and another one about the grass always being greener, but a different owner couldn’t possibly be worse, unless Charlie Comiskey came back from the dead and bought the franchise.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:31 pm

I agree it would have been a bad pick at #1 but where he’s been drafted is no longer of a concern. If he can hit for a high enough average with power, and actually save us runs by not playing in RF, then that’s all that matters. We can’t force him to be more than he is. If he can be a decent enough catcher I’d rather he play there and have a legit outfielder playing right.
Yes, Davis can only do what he can do. His resume of being #1 draft pick doesn't help him play ball any better. He has to be used to the best of his ability, whatever that may be. The problem is that the Pirates count on building from within and treasure the opportunity to add #1 overall talent. So if they whiff on the pick and end up with a utility player instead of a franchise player, it's disastrous to the organization's building plan.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:13 am

Yes, Davis can only do what he can do. His resume of being #1 draft pick doesn't help him play ball any better. He has to be used to the best of his ability, whatever that may be. The problem is that the Pirates count on building from within and treasure the opportunity to add #1 overall talent. So if they whiff on the pick and end up with a utility player instead of a franchise player, it's disastrous to the organization's building plan.
No argument from me. It’s hard to over estimate the value of that high of a pick. But once the pick is made, as you mentioned, his draft position means nothing. The list of first round picks who never worked out is long. And there are lots and lots of guys chosen in the second half of the draft who became outstanding players. It’s that proverbial crap shoot.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:21 am

No argument from me. It’s hard to over estimate the value of that high of a pick. But once the pick is made, as you mentioned, his draft position means nothing. The list of first round picks who never worked out is long. And there are lots and lots of guys chosen in the second half of the draft who became outstanding players. It’s that proverbial crap shoot.
Here's the list if Pirates' 1st rd picks. The jury's still out on the more recent ones. But in the past 10 years only Hayes has been a difference maker.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/draf ... anch_round
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:09 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:21 am
Here's the list if Pirates' 1st rd picks. The jury's still out on the more recent ones. But in the past 10 years only Hayes has been a difference maker.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/draf ... anch_round
There are names on that list who I not only don't remember but I don't think I've ever heard of before. Every team has it's dud picks but that list is filled with them. Maybe they all deserved/earned being picked that high and it was their poor development that blocked their progress. We'll never know but, if it's the latter, it's not a good day when a kid gets picked by the Pirates.

Speaking of which, I saw something on mlb.com this morning about who they believe are currently the 10 best third basemen. Our Ke'Bryan Hayes isn't one of them. Which has me thinking about the benefits of trading him. He's thought to be the best fielding 3Bman in baseball, which is worth something. Is there a trade partner that has a strong enough offensive line-up that Hayes's bat isn't crucial to their needs, and does that team have a young talented outfielder or starting pitcher who they'd be willing send our way? If the Pirates are so high on Triolo, who I think was a Gold Glove 3B baseman in the minors, and showed some nice signs of being a decent offensive contributor, wouldn't a trade of Hayes be something to consider, especially coming off an award-winning season?