Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Carolina Bucco

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Carolina Bucco »

Based on the starting rotation, which looks to be historically putrid, this is a 60-102 kind of team. And the offense and defense aren't going to be good enough (both are below average, at best) to make up for terrible starting pitching.

As I say basically every year ... I cannot believe the Pirates are willing to enter a season with this starting rotation.

Also factor in that at least one pitcher will suffer a significant injury, and at least one, probably two, will underachieve and be a major disappointment.

IMO a team needs to begin a season with at least starting pitchers it can depend on. Ideally 8. The Pirates are entering a season with two, maybe three?

It's the recipe for disaster and the Pirates seem perfectly content with it.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Carolina Bucco wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:39 pm Based on the starting rotation, which looks to be historically putrid, this is a 60-102 kind of team. And the offense and defense aren't going to be good enough (both are below average, at best) to make up for terrible starting pitching.

As I say basically every year ... I cannot believe the Pirates are willing to enter a season with this starting rotation.

Also factor in that at least one pitcher will suffer a significant injury, and at least one, probably two, will underachieve and be a major disappointment.

IMO a team needs to begin a season with at least starting pitchers it can depend on. Ideally 8. The Pirates are entering a season with two, maybe three?

It's the recipe for disaster and the Pirates seem perfectly content with it.
You make a good point about the total amount of starting pitchers needed for the season. Actually I have heard Ben C. comment on pre game shows that 10 starting pitchers is a good number to plan for a season. They are far off of that number. You cannot count on Skenes, Brubaker or Burrows because one, you cannot count on Skenes developing into a Big League pitcher in a couple months, and how can anyone expect Brubaker and Burrows to bounce right back after TJ surgery. I am very disappointed that they continue to avoid signing another starting pitcher.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Mariners just acquired Jorge Polanco from the Twins. It was rumored the Mariners could be a trading partner with the Pirates due to the Pirates group of middle infielders. Looks like any trade with the Mariners is not going to happen. Maybe the Pirates think Bailey Falter is their #4 starter. I hope not, but it is beginning to appear they are not going to sign another starting pitcher.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

No rush for adding to the SP rotation. Of course they will have to add. They have 2 of the 7 are going to go straight to the 60 day IL. Whoever they add isn't going to be much more than what we've seen the last couple years with Quintana and Hill. There are going to be guys available when those spots open up.

They have a couple of weeks of ST to see if Priester looks like he can be part of the rotation. We also need to see who ends up in AAA, because those guys will probably debut at some point.

The team had a 14 game improvement last season, and with the same exact issues. They'll be fine.
Doc

Post by Doc »

It looks more and more like with each passing day that they’ve decided to fill the rotation with the young guys. They may have concluded the results they’ll likely get will be similar to what any of the remaining free agents will give them. If this is the case then is it true that they’re targeting 2025 as the year they’re going to try to be competitive. Just what we all want to hear.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Doc wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:44 pm It looks more and more like with each passing day that they’ve decided to fill the rotation with the young guys. They may have concluded the results they’ll likely get will be similar to what any of the remaining free agents will give them. If this is the case then is it true that they’re targeting 2025 as the year they’re going to try to be competitive. Just what we all want to hear.
my view is the target is always down the road. So target 2025 before 2024 season and 2026 before 2025 season. I hope to be pleasantly surprised someday.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ecbucs wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:14 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:44 pm It looks more and more like with each passing day that they’ve decided to fill the rotation with the young guys. They may have concluded the results they’ll likely get will be similar to what any of the remaining free agents will give them. If this is the case then is it true that they’re targeting 2025 as the year they’re going to try to be competitive. Just what we all want to hear.
my view is the target is always down the road. So target 2025 before 2024 season and 2026 before 2025 season. I hope to be pleasantly surprised someday.
It's hard to argue with that. Afterall, it's pretty much been that way since 2016.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

I’m OK with going with the young pitchers we have in our system
10 of the top 12 players in our system are pitchers.
Jones is ready to pitch in the Majors. Skenes and Solometo are close. We still need to find out what Priester, Contreras, Ortiz , Brubaker, and Burrows can contribute. I would rather give our internal options a chance rather than watering down our farm system with a trade or signing a pitcher that is over his prime
Doc

Post by Doc »

Great news, Bellinger hasn’t chosen a team yet! We still have a chance! :roll: