Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Ecbucs »

Doc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:36 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:16 pm Doc is praying that Kolton Wong doesn't sign with a team in the NL Central :lol:
If Wong signs with the Cardinals, he and Carpenter will once again lay waste to the Pirates and cost us six or seven games by themselves.
I bet Ben C. is just waiting for Kolton to get a little cheaper and will scoop him up. Possibly to play first and push Rowdy into a back up at first and DH.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Ecbucs wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:33 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:16 pm Doc is praying that Kolton Wong doesn't sign with a team in the NL Central :lol:
If Wong signs with the Cardinals, he and Carpenter will once again lay waste to the Pirates and cost us six or seven games by themselves.
I bet Ben C. is just waiting for Kolton to get a little cheaper and will scoop him up. Possibly to play first and push Rowdy into a back up at first and DH.
I am thinking Pittsburgh may wait until the prices go down and they will bring back Santana. There might be a few signings on the cheap side as we get closer to ST. I almost expect it.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:40 pm

I am thinking Pittsburgh may wait until the prices go down and they will bring back Santana. There might be a few signings on the cheap side as we get closer to ST. I almost expect it.
I’m searching for a reason why they’d bring Santana back. If the plan would be to platoon him with Tellez, then one of the other infielders will have to go. They seem to like Triolo a lot so I’d guess he’d be the back-up at 2nd (in addition to 3rd). That would mean there’s no room for either Peguero or Gonzales. I’d rather have both of those guys than Santana. But I’d also rather have Santana than Tellez.
UtahPirate2

Post by UtahPirate2 »

Doc wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:17 am

I’m searching for a reason why they’d bring Santana back. If the plan would be to platoon him with Tellez, then one of the other infielders will have to go. They seem to like Triolo a lot so I’d guess he’d be the back-up at 2nd (in addition to 3rd). That would mean there’s no room for either Peguero or Gonzales. I’d rather have both of those guys than Santana. But I’d also rather have Santana than Tellez.
And you have to throw Joe into that mix as he looks like the one likely to platoon with Tellez right now. Our predicted salary level is already more than last year and adding any more $$$ might be challenging. If we are going to spend even a little more, it has to be for starting pitching.
Doc

Post by Doc »

UtahPirate2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:13 pm

And you have to throw Joe into that mix as he looks like the one likely to platoon with Tellez right now. Our predicted salary level is already more than last year and adding any more $$$ might be challenging. If we are going to spend even a little more, it has to be for starting pitching.
Right, I hadn't even thought of Joe. I can't see adding another infielder unless it would be Bellinger, but I know Nutting won't allow it. Then, several guys could be dealt, but I wouldn't want one of them to be Gonzales. I think he's going to hit pretty well in the big leagues once he gets acclimated.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:51 pm

Right, I hadn't even thought of Joe. I can't see adding another infielder unless it would be Bellinger, but I know Nutting won't allow it. Then, several guys could be dealt, but I wouldn't want one of them to be Gonzales. I think he's going to hit pretty well in the big leagues once he gets acclimated.
I too like Gonzales, but I wonder if they trade for a starting pitcher that possibly Gonzales or Peguero would be part of the trade package. I think I would prefer to move one of them instead of Triolo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:14 am
Doc wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:51 pm

I too like Gonzales, but I wonder if they trade for a starting pitcher that possibly Gonzales or Peguero would be part of the trade package. I think I would prefer to move one of them instead of Triolo.
It’s hard to figure what BC might be thinking about his players. A year ago, did the Pirates have such a high opinion of Triolo? Things certainly can change. Also, Gonzales is a #1 pick so I’d guess he’d be kept over Peggy. On the other hand, he’d likely bring back more in return. I’d keep Gonzales because I believe he has a better chance to be a better offensive player.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It appears players are getting anxious to sign since ST is a little over 2 weeks away. Adam Frazier, Alex Wood and Carlos Carrasco have all agreed to contacts since late last night. Hopefully the Pirates will announce a signing or a trade over the next few days.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:37 am It appears players are getting anxious to sign since ST is a little over 2 weeks away. Adam Frazier, Alex Wood and Carlos Carrasco have all agreed to contacts since late last night. Hopefully the Pirates will announce a signing or a trade over the next few days.
Trades are problematic for the Pirates because everything comes down to money for them. They never trade for topnotch, productive players because they come with hefty contracts. The Pirates only make minor trades and there's no reason to wait to make those. We may see a minor deal in spring training to add depth but it won't be for an impact player. Of course, Nutting's Pirates have a history of waiting until all the FAs who are in demand are signed and then go after what's left. So, again, it won't be an impact player. So we pretty much already know what the roster will be except for 2/5th of the starting rotation. And another 2/5ths (Gonzales, Perez) are serviceable at best. So it looks like a starting pitching disaster in the making and it's getting close to spring training.
There's no basement in the Alamo.