Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate2

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by UtahPirate2 »

Javy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:26 pm I watched Syndergaard during his time with the Phillies. He had absolutely nothing compared to his former abilities. Most pitchers come back from TJS at least as good as before, many even better. Not Noah. The Phils barely used him down the stretch and in their WS run, he was that unreliable.

More often than not, even last year with the Dodgers, he couldn't get into the 5th inning, let alone out of it. He'll certainly tax a bullpen.

Noah needs to build an ark and float away. I really hope the Buc's don't sign him.
Not sure how "interested" the Pirates are. They were one of several teams that showed up to watch him throw a bullpen - which is where the rumor came from. My guess is that any real interest would have to come from the fact his stuff made him look like he will be better than he has been the last few years - and he would be really cheap even if he looked anything like his old self.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Javy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:26 pm I watched Syndergaard during his time with the Phillies. He had absolutely nothing compared to his former abilities. Most pitchers come back from TJS at least as good as before, many even better. Not Noah. The Phils barely used him down the stretch and in their WS run, he was that unreliable.

More often than not, even last year with the Dodgers, he couldn't get into the 5th inning, let alone out of it. He'll certainly tax a bullpen.

Noah needs to build an ark and float away. I really hope the Buc's don't sign him.
He is the type to turn his back and look to the outfield
when Oscar makes his frequent trips to the mound
Doc

Post by Doc »

There’s a Q and A type piece with Nutting on mlb.com. After I read it, I wished I had those 90 seconds of my life back. Softball questions, and nothing of any substance offered up by our owner. We’re just treading water when it comes to moving towards a better future.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We are about three weeks until pitchers and catchers report to ST, and there are still many free agents who have yet signed contracts. Some of the free agents are not All Stars, but they could be depth options for many teams including the Pirates. With so many players available I would expect the Pirates to sign a couple of these pending free agents to minor league contracts, and invite them to ST. This offseason has been slower than expected with the signing of free agent players. Let’s hope the Pirates sign a player or two who can join the team during the season if there is an injury to a position player or a pitcher.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:57 pm We are about three weeks until pitchers and catchers report to ST, and there are still many free agents who have yet signed contracts. Some of the free agents are not All Stars, but they could be depth options for many teams including the Pirates. With so many players available I would expect the Pirates to sign a couple of these pending free agents to minor league contracts, and invite them to ST. This offseason has been slower than expected with the signing of free agent players. Let’s hope the Pirates sign a player or two who can join the team during the season if there is an injury to a position player or a pitcher.
I'm so glad MLB as a whole has kind of cooled their heels for the offseason. I think the RSN issues have a lot to do with it. I also think in the past teams have gotten caught up with feeling like they need to make a splash for the fans in the offseason, and ending up with buyers remorse. I know MLB network, when they actually have a show and not the 89th playing of Little Big League during the week, moan and groan about not having anything to report. I'm glad for it. I'm sick and tired of seeing these guys constantly on their phones, throwing out a hundred different scenarios where a guy may be going based upon information they have. It's as if the offseason became a show in of itself.

There's 30 teams doing the same thing. They have time. They have those first couple of weeks of spring training to see if a young guy looks to be able to do what some veteran could do.

Blame it on the CBA too. The players hosed themselves with the deal, because only the top tier guys are getting big money, teams aren't paying 15 mill a year for guys well past their prime when a younger, or a parade of them, player can do the job. You only need so much "veteran presence" in the clubhouse.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Surgnbuck wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:42 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:57 pm We are about three weeks until pitchers and catchers report to ST, and there are still many free agents who have yet signed contracts. Some of the free agents are not All Stars, but they could be depth options for many teams including the Pirates. With so many players available I would expect the Pirates to sign a couple of these pending free agents to minor league contracts, and invite them to ST. This offseason has been slower than expected with the signing of free agent players. Let’s hope the Pirates sign a player or two who can join the team during the season if there is an injury to a position player or a pitcher.
I'm so glad MLB as a whole has kind of cooled their heels for the offseason. I think the RSN issues have a lot to do with it. I also think in the past teams have gotten caught up with feeling like they need to make a splash for the fans in the offseason, and ending up with buyers remorse. I know MLB network, when they actually have a show and not the 89th playing of Little Big League during the week, moan and groan about not having anything to report. I'm glad for it. I'm sick and tired of seeing these guys constantly on their phones, throwing out a hundred different scenarios where a guy may be going based upon information they have. It's as if the offseason became a show in of itself.

There's 30 teams doing the same thing. They have time. They have those first couple of weeks of spring training to see if a young guy looks to be able to do what some veteran could do.

Blame it on the CBA too. The players hosed themselves with the deal, because only the top tier guys are getting big money, teams aren't paying 15 mill a year for guys well past their prime when a younger, or a parade of them, player can do the job. You only need so much "veteran presence" in the clubhouse.
Perfect post! You made excellent reasons why free agency has been slow this offseason. That last paragraph is a “ home run” in my opinion. A couple more slow offseasons like this and maybe the Players Association will think that financial reform is necessary for baseball. Like you said, mid range players are possibly being phased out to the younger less expensive players who can do the job. One look at the free agent list guys like Adam Frazier, Kolton Wong, C J Cron and many more are still waiting to be signed.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Doc is praying that Kolton Wong doesn't sign with a team in the NL Central :lol:
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:16 pm Doc is praying that Kolton Wong doesn't sign with a team in the NL Central :lol:
If Wong signs with the Cardinals, he and Carpenter will once again lay waste to the Pirates and cost us six or seven games by themselves.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Let's Go Bucs