The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

604647504656250 wrote: Until MLB and fans stand up to these greedy players especially the mega salaries it will continue.  I would like to see the public let these players know we're fed up with this insanity and they need to back off.  But as long as there are fans who sympathise with there plight (what a joke) then they feel justified.  Can we not all agree that $300 million dollar contracts are ridiculous. 

it is pretty interesting how every time a team reduces payroll it reduces ticket prices. 

My nomination for POTD. ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4E565453534455524F4E583D0 wrote: Until MLB and fans stand up to these greedy players especially the mega salaries it will continue.  I would like to see the public let these players know we're fed up with this insanity and they need to back off.  But as long as there are fans who sympathise with there plight (what a joke) then they feel justified.  Can we not all agree that $300 million dollar contracts are ridiculous. 

So you believe that baseball players should have their incomes limited?  Who decides what the limit should be?  Does that also apply to other workers or do you want to just discriminate against baseball players?  If I believed that you made too much money in your job, could I start a movement to limit your income? 

If your boss offered you a salary of $300 million, or even $5 million, would you turn it down because some might think you to be greedy?  How much more would have to be offered before you told your boss that was enough?

Yes that exactly what I'm saying, and I believe the fans could do just that by speaking up against these absurd salaries.  Maybe boycotting any game Max Scherzer pitches in might get their attention including the NY Mets ownership.  Fans could make a difference, and in case you haven't noticed gas prices and food prices are through the roof, families are having a hard time so maybe these spoiled brats need to pay attention to their fans and not just their and your ego.

What ego I might have is of no consequence.  You continue to make points that are based on emotion, maybe even jealousy.  No market functions that way.

No salary is absurd in any market.  A worker is paid based upon the money he/she earns for his/her employer.  No employer intentionally pays a worker more money than what that worker earns for the employer.  Baseball owners are not stupid.  They earn more money from the players than what they pay them, otherwise no one would own a baseball franchise.

I see you chose not to answer my questions from my previous post.  I realize you have no logical answers for any of them because no one does, but it would’ve been entertaining reading them.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

194F594D425848434E596B4C464A424705482B0 wrote: Until MLB and fans stand up to these greedy players especially the mega salaries it will continue.  I would like to see the public let these players know we're fed up with this insanity and they need to back off.  But as long as there are fans who sympathise with there plight (what a joke) then they feel justified.  Can we not all agree that $300 million dollar contracts are ridiculous. 

So you believe that baseball players should have their incomes limited?  Who decides what the limit should be?  Does that also apply to other workers or do you want to just discriminate against baseball players?  If I believed that you made too much money in your job, could I start a movement to limit your income? 

If your boss offered you a salary of $300 million, or even $5 million, would you turn it down because some might think you to be greedy?  How much more would have to be offered before you told your boss that was enough?

Yes that exactly what I'm saying, and I believe the fans could do just that by speaking up against these absurd salaries.  Maybe boycotting any game Max Scherzer pitches in might get their attention including the NY Mets ownership.  Fans could make a difference, and in case you haven't noticed gas prices and food prices are through the roof, families are having a hard time so maybe these spoiled brats need to pay attention to their fans and not just their and your ego.

What ego I might have is of no consequence.  You continue to make points that are based on emotion, maybe even jealousy.  No market functions that way.

No salary is absurd in any market.  A worker is paid based upon the money he/she earns for his/her employer.  No employer intentionally pays a worker more money than what that worker earns for the employer.  Baseball owners are not stupid.  They earn more money from the players than what they pay them, otherwise no one would own a baseball franchise.

I see you chose not to answer my questions from my previous post.  I realize you have no logical answers for any of them because no one does, but it would’ve been entertaining reading them.

Not sure which ones you’re talking about, is it the one where you incorrectly said owners pay these players, but if you would dig or think a little deeper you would realize the general public and mostly fans pay these outrageous contracts. Yes, these corrupt owners dole out the money but the money comes from the public wittingly or unwittingly. I’m not advocating for government intervention; I’m just saying the average baseball fan needs to start calling out these greedy superstars and their agents. It’s time they see the average family can’t afford to attend a baseball game and they are the reason. This time in history is not the time for players to be asking the fans to give these spoiled brats even more outrageous contracts.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Major League attendance:

2006 total attendance 76.3 million

2007 79.6 - record total attendance

2012 74.86

2019 68.48

2021 45.3 (with lots of games limited due to covid)

with lockout it is not going to be easy to reach the 68.48 number again.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193 ... ince-2006/

Maybe someone else knows how to find it, but I wonder how the ticket revenue has changed adjusted for inflation.

Also how much lower does it need to go before owners and players consider it a problem.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Depends on the owner. Some hate empty seats, for good reason. Some, maybe not as much.

I've been told that some teams don't need Attendance to turn a profit. I dnk if that's true. Even if it is true, empty seats is not a good look. It sends a negative message.

I'm sure that everyone expects backlash. I heard on MLBNR last week that it took something like nine years for attendance to return to normal in some cases the last time this happened, but Cal Ripken and McGwire & Sosa helped a bit.

It's going to hurt. Every good salesperson knows- never give people a reason to go to your competitor. Once they do, it's tough to get them back. If folks go to other activities, they might not go or tune in.

We'll all be HERE, though. :)))
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

627A787F7F68797E636274110 wrote: Until MLB and fans stand up to these greedy players especially the mega salaries it will continue.  I would like to see the public let these players know we're fed up with this insanity and they need to back off.  But as long as there are fans who sympathise with there plight (what a joke) then they feel justified.  Can we not all agree that $300 million dollar contracts are ridiculous. 

[highlight]Not sure which ones you’re talking about[/highlight], is it the one where you incorrectly said owners pay these players, but if you would dig or think a little deeper you would realize the general public and mostly fans pay these outrageous contracts.  Yes, these corrupt owners dole out the money but the money comes from the public wittingly or unwittingly.    I’m not advocating for government intervention; I’m just saying the average baseball fan needs to start calling out these greedy superstars and their agents.  It’s time they see the average family can’t afford to attend a baseball game and they are the reason.  This time in history is not the time for players to be asking the fans to give these spoiled brats even more outrageous contracts.

I'm talking about these questions:

So you believe that baseball players should have their incomes limited? Who decides what the limit should be? Does that also apply to other workers or do you want to just discriminate against baseball players? If I believed that you made too much money in your job, could I start a movement to limit your income?

If your boss offered you a salary of $300 million, or even $5 million, would you turn it down because some might think you to be greedy? How much more would have to be offered before you told your boss that was enough?

I've attended many major league baseball games and have yet to pay a single player. Neither has any other fan. We've paid the owners, who've then decided what to do with that money, which was theirs to spend as they saw fit. None of us had any determination, authority, or vote as to how much went to the players.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I wonder how Bryan Reynolds feels, knowing that he plays in a town where fans think he's greedy.

And, we want to build around him, which means that it takes other players who want to play with him in The Burgh.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

What I would like to see is a Fans Union

Just like when the fans picked the All Stars, fans should have a voice in the negotiations as they are contributing to baseballs economics.

There is nothing in the negotiations that is benefiting the Pirates and fans in general. In fact we are going backwards.

1) Talks are centered on increasing the CBT threshold. Which means fewer teams will exceed it and therefore less money going to smaller markets

2) Doing away with draft pick compensation for teams that lose free agents is another hit to competitive balance

3) Earlier arbitration which will hurt all teams budgets

4) Absolutely no discussion on a salary floor

5) Obviously the large market teams rake in billions on their local TV and Radio contract. Why can’t baseball help to level the playing field by giving the smaller markets a larger share of the National TV and Internet Contracts instead of dividing it equally among the 30 teams

There is nothing in these talks that benefits the Pirates!

Fans should boycott but I know that’s a pipe dream

I also think every Major League team should have a family night once a month with tickets at $5 or $10 each so a family can afford to come once in a while without spending $200-400 dollars

Fans need a voice!
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Never work- anywhere, or at any time.  Fans will be on an individual basis, but there are going to be times when we'll have more individuals than other times.

Witness Pittsburgh.

Someone tried to organize a mass walkout when the team was about as bad as it gets. 

What happened? 

The overwhelming majority of the fans in attendance at that game came prepared.  They knew of this "walkout," such as it was, and they loudly booed the few that walked out.

I don't know how the press covered it.  I have my expectations of how they probably did.  I'm not sure that it even registered a blip on the national scale- meaning, that it probably didn't do much to spring management or ownership into much action.

Although, some have said that that the team made a key trade because of it.  I don't recall whether that happened, or whether this "protest" had much to do with it.

We'll know how upset fans are by looking at nightly attendance.  But, that's just one source of MLB revenue.  It's a big sign, though.

Some fans might be happy enough that MLB's back. I'd like to know whether ticket price increases have more of an effect on overall attendance than work stoppages do. That would take a while to figure out.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I still remember a lesson from grad school. My economics professor said, "Every dollar is a vote. Every minute is a vote, too."

We can spend that dollar on MLB if we want....or, we can spend it on something else.

Every minute is the same vote.

We can tell what's important to someone when we look at where they spend their money and where they spend their time.

So, in a "democracy," if the owners get fewer "votes," then they may make changes to the way they go about business.

Some are willing to live with fewer "votes" than others.