Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Ecbucs »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:04 am
Doc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:55 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:54 pm There is a report out there today that Rodriguez the Cuban right handed pitcher is closing in on a deal with the Jays. It appears there is an immigration problem which is holding up the deal. I had hoped the Pirates would sign him. Just another disappointment from our Pirates team.
We should be used to it by now. Not only has there been little activity this year, it’s pretty much been the standard procedure every year since long before this Front Office group arrived. They’re not going to spend in a way that will have them act like a real big league club, fjk. The owner won’t let them. He’ll never let them.

Th Pirates operate in a way that severely limits their ability to compete on the field. It’s not going to change.
I guess I try to be optimistic that something will change, but it is always a letdown. I don’t expect the signing of the big superstar, but some middle of the pack players. Guys which could get the team over the hump, and taking the pressure off the younger players. In my opinion this team could use a couple additional players, and if they don’t sustain an injury to one of their better players we could reach the postseason in 2024. We have a month until ST so there is still time to do something positive.
IMO, this means that Ben doesn't think he will be a difference maker. Got to hope (and that is a HOPE) that he thinks team is close to contending and will make a signing someday. By not signing this guy I think Ben is signaling he doesn't think the team is a contender in 2024. To me that is tremendously disapointing. We should be ready to contend in 2024 and if Ben thinks we aren't signing someone for two or more years shouldn't matter. He needs to look at long game and if signing someone now helps in 2025 then you do it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:04 am
Doc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:55 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:54 pm There is a report out there today that Rodriguez the Cuban right handed pitcher is closing in on a deal with the Jays. It appears there is an immigration problem which is holding up the deal. I had hoped the Pirates would sign him. Just another disappointment from our Pirates team.
We should be used to it by now. Not only has there been little activity this year, it’s pretty much been the standard procedure every year since long before this Front Office group arrived. They’re not going to spend in a way that will have them act like a real big league club, fjk. The owner won’t let them. He’ll never let them.

Th Pirates operate in a way that severely limits their ability to compete on the field. It’s not going to change.
I guess I try to be optimistic that something will change, but it is always a letdown. I don’t expect the signing of the big superstar, but some middle of the pack players. Guys which could get the team over the hump, and taking the pressure off the younger players. In my opinion this team could use a couple additional players, and if they don’t sustain an injury to one of their better players we could reach the postseason in 2024. We have a month until ST so there is still time to do something positive.
With all due respect, the Pirates don’t need “middle of the pack” players. The Pirates need what all serious contenders need: stars. They don’t have a single one in their line-up. Reynolds is inconsistent year to year. Hayes is a star defender, but is not much of an offensive threat. Cruz is still unproven.

This is why I keep pushing for them to sign Bellinger. He’s everything the team needs: a power bat, drives in runs, plays above average defense at two positions. He’d take great pressure off of the young players. The Pirates have little chance to compete for a title without a player like him. Please don’t tell me they can’t afford him. They absolutely can. They just choose not to.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

https://twitter.com/francysromeroFR/sta ... 8428872180

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/17 ... 3119720477

Middle of the pack players are cheaper than stars, Doc. Having "presence" and being a "winner" (who punches cops) is cheaper than being talented. Years of control over mediocre players is cheaper than paying free agent salaries.

"The upside of years of (contractual) control. Wow. So you mean this guy isn't just mediocre but might be here for a while? Where do I buy tickets? I cannot believe that in an environment where fans are hyper-sensitive to the Pirates' miserly ways, a team executive would cite years of contractual control as part of the 'upside' in acquiring a no-pedigree pitcher." - Tribune-Review
Doc

Post by Doc »

3pirates3 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:04 pm https://twitter.com/francysromeroFR/sta ... 8428872180

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/17 ... 3119720477

Middle of the pack players are cheaper than stars, Doc. Having "presence" and being a "winner" (who punches cops) is cheaper than being talented. Years of control over mediocre players is cheaper than paying free agent salaries.

"The upside of years of (contractual) control. Wow. So you mean this guy isn't just mediocre but might be here for a while? Where do I buy tickets? I cannot believe that in an environment where fans are hyper-sensitive to the Pirates' miserly ways, a team executive would cite years of contractual control as part of the 'upside' in acquiring a no-pedigree pitcher." - Tribune-Review
Perfectly stated.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Yariel Rodriguez signs with Blue Jays for 4/$32mil. Can't believe the Bucs couldn't afford that.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Osushawn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:05 pm Yariel Rodriguez signs with Blue Jays for 4/$32mil. Can't believe the Bucs couldn't afford that.
They can afford that. The owner chooses not to.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Exactly, doc
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:14 pm
Osushawn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:05 pm Yariel Rodriguez signs with Blue Jays for 4/$32mil. Can't believe the Bucs couldn't afford that.
I really thought Pittsburgh was going to sign him. Each day more and more pitchers come off the board, and soon we will be scraping off the bottom of the barrel. You hear the rhetoric that they are not done with upgrading the ball club, but those are just words. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t started following this team over 60 years ago. I kind of hoped to see the Pirates go further into the postseason than 2013, but I doubt that is going to happen under the current ownership.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

The Pirates could afford that and probably had to beat it to be seriously considered by Rodriguez. Maybe he didn't want to sign with Bucs no matter what but the Pirates should have at least made an offer better than Toronto's. Just matching other team's contract offers is not going to get many players to think they should sign with the Pirates. Why sign with a perennial loser if I have other opportunities?
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:27 pm
I really thought Pittsburgh was going to sign him. Each day more and more pitchers come off the board, and soon we will be scraping off the bottom of the barrel. You hear the rhetoric that they are not done with upgrading the ball club, but those are just words. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t started following this team over 60 years ago. I kind of hoped to see the Pirates go further into the postseason than 2013, but I doubt that is going to happen under the current ownership.
The Pirates specialize in rhetoric because it’s inexpensive. They want us to listen to what they say rather than pay attention to what they do. They can’t be trusted. They’ll continue to dish out the words all the way to Spring Training and then, with the excitement of the players being back on the field, we forget all of the rhetoric. They start talking up the players who are in camp and how the expectations for them to improve have risen. We no longer remember the potential acquisitions we could’ve had.

I love the Pirates. I always will. But I’ll always despise the owner and how he runs the organization. He’s a lying liar who lies.