Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Ecbucs »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:00 am
Ecbucs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:38 pm biggest acquisition of the off season (so far) Edward Olivares from KC.
I am ok with this trade. I assume Olivares will platoon in RF with Palacios. I now want them to sign or acquire two MLB starting pitchers and sign Cutch which Jason Mackey indicated may happen next week. After that if they want to sign a few minor league free agents, and invite them to ST that would be fine.
yep, now it looks like there isn't a spot for Davis in the outfield so he should get a very good shot at showing whether he is a catcher or not.

Ben had talked about making trades but I don't really feel like the Bucs have a surplus at any position to really deal. I'd rather they go the free agent route for pitching too. Maybe by the end of spring training it will be easier to tell how the infielders are doing: Can Cruz stick at short, Gonzalez and Peguero at second etc.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Ecbucs wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:32 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:00 am
Ecbucs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:38 pm biggest acquisition of the off season (so far) Edward Olivares from KC.
I am ok with this trade. I assume Olivares will platoon in RF with Palacios. I now want them to sign or acquire two MLB starting pitchers and sign Cutch which Jason Mackey indicated may happen next week. After that if they want to sign a few minor league free agents, and invite them to ST that would be fine.
yep, now it looks like there isn't a spot for Davis in the outfield so he should get a very good shot at showing whether he is a catcher or not.

Ben had talked about making trades but I don't really feel like the Bucs have a surplus at any position to really deal. I'd rather they go the free agent route for pitching too. Maybe by the end of spring training it will be easier to tell how the infielders are doing: Can Cruz stick at short, Gonzalez and Peguero at second etc.
I think they have a surplus at middle infield with Peguero, Gonzales, Bae, as well as Triolo who I would not move .Triolo in my opinion is very valuable. If they have to trade a minor league pitcher other than Skenes, Chandler, Jones and Solometo i would consider it, if your return was an MLB starter with years of control.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Some writers have suggested the Pirates will acquire starting pitchers by trade, but if a trade didn’t happen which two of these free agent starters would you want the Pirates to sign. Possibly none of the 6 I have proposed:
Michael Lorenzen
Dakota Hudson
Lucas Giolito
Sean Manaea
Hyun Ryu
Yariel Rodriguez ( the Cuban pitcher)

Hopefully the Pirates acquire a starting pitcher or two very soon.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Giolito
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I have been looking at Olivares stats and
it seems he might be a decent pickup
Dutton

Post by Dutton »

Olivares is a nice addition the 2024 team. Surprised we got him for Nadal. I thought Gorski and Celestino woukl compete for that righty OF platoon role but it's been settled.

McKinney is injury insurance, both for Suwinsky and Tellez, as arguably our best power lefty bat at Indy. I have him ahead of Shackelford and Beer. Anybody know who signed Mason Martin?

Nutting will have a fan revolt on his hands if he doesn't come up with a passable MLB starter. As others here and elsewhere have noted, many >15M per year vets have been signed by other "small market" teams. Signing the last man standing for the cheapest salary will be a PR nightmare for Nutting. I just hope he realizes that fact.

I don't know when players can be put on the 60-Day IL to free up roster spots, but we are currently full on the 40-man. Brubaker, Burrows and Rodriguez will go on the 60-Day, and I'm 99% sure Cutch will be added to the 40 as soon as there's a spot. But there should be room for what we desperately need: a veteran starter.
UtahPirate2

Post by UtahPirate2 »

Dutton wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:25 pm Olivares is a nice addition the 2024 team. Surprised we got him for Nadal. I thought Gorski and Celestino woukl compete for that righty OF platoon role but it's been settled.

McKinney is injury insurance, both for Suwinsky and Tellez, as arguably our best power lefty bat at Indy. I have him ahead of Shackelford and Beer. Anybody know who signed Mason Martin?

Nutting will have a fan revolt on his hands if he doesn't come up with a passable MLB starter. As others here and elsewhere have noted, many >15M per year vets have been signed by other "small market" teams. Signing the last man standing for the cheapest salary will be a PR nightmare for Nutting. I just hope he realizes that fact.

I don't know when players can be put on the 60-Day IL to free up roster spots, but we are currently full on the 40-man. Brubaker, Burrows and Rodriguez will go on the 60-Day, and I'm 99% sure Cutch will be added to the 40 as soon as there's a spot. But there should be room for what we desperately need: a veteran starter.
Room and money. Amazed by how low-cost these moves have been so far. I really like Marco myself and think he'll end up being a better addition that Hill was last year, but won't be as good as Anderson or Quintana were. And I read on analysis that said with the money passing between M's and Brave's to dump him, the price tag for us is only slightly over $3M.

KC was in a 40-man roster pinch and we got Olivares for next to nothing.

Not sure what McKinney can bring, but International money another move that keeps prospects in tact.

Tellez at $3 million looks like a good possible platoon with Joe if Tellez is healthy and can rediscover some thunder.

These aren't earth-shatteriing, but do move the needle a bit. Now it's time for some shattered earth for a SP (and for me, one trade for a young SP) and we should have the funds and prospects.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

I am surprised there hasn’t been word one regarding Trevor Bauer anywhere. Seems like this would be a perfect fit for Nutting’s 1yr/$5 mil offer with a player option for the second year to get him back in the league. You want an innings eater, there is your guy
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Osushawn wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:10 am I am surprised there hasn’t been word one regarding Trevor Bauer anywhere. Seems like this would be a perfect fit for Nutting’s 1yr/$5 mil offer with a player option for the second year to get him back in the league. You want an innings eater, there is your guy
This was talked about on the board quite a bit actually.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

UtahPirate2 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:57 pm
Dutton wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:25 pm Olivares is a nice addition the 2024 team. Surprised we got him for Nadal. I thought Gorski and Celestino woukl compete for that righty OF platoon role but it's been settled.

Room and money. Amazed by how low-cost these moves have been so far. I really like Marco myself and think he'll end up being a better addition that Hill was last year, but won't be as good as Anderson or Quintana were. And I read on analysis that said with the money passing between M's and Brave's to dump him, the price tag for us is only slightly over $3M.

KC was in a 40-man roster pinch and we got Olivares for next to nothing.

Not sure what McKinney can bring, but International money another move that keeps prospects in tact.

Tellez at $3 million looks like a good possible platoon with Joe if Tellez is healthy and can rediscover some thunder.

These aren't earth-shatteriing, but do move the needle a bit. Now it's time for some shattered earth for a SP (and for me, one trade for a young SP) and we should have the funds and prospects.
I wish I could remember what the story was about on MLB site, one of those, "something every team" type stories. Had to do with prospects. McKinney was the guy for the Yankees. So I was kind of excited for this, but he may just be part of the OF stable between the Bucs and AAA.