Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:42 am
3pirates3 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:05 am McKinney to Pirates for international bonus pool money.

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1735486285614039298
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... bi01.shtml

Flaherty off the market. - https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/17 ... 4213434691
I hope they don’t think McKinney will play right field if Davis becomes the everyday catcher. This guy has barely hit over .200. I don’t know what the heck the Pirates are doing this offseason. They need additional pitching, and teams are beginning to sign some mid level guys which one would assume the Pirates could afford.
I'm a bit surprised, fjk. You're an astute observer of all things Pirates. The Pirates are operating this offseason in the very same way they've operated over the past twenty-some years. That consistent offseason strategy has been developed by an owner who refuses to have a payroll above a preconceived number, regardless of the team's situation or the amount of money he receives from MLB, even when there's a windfall like the BAMtech deal with Disney a few years ago. He's of the mindset that money coming in shouldn't be going out to the laborers. It's his, and he'll only part with the least amount he can get away with.

So, don't wonder any longer. It's not worth being aggravated over. It'll never change as long as the owner remains.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Not to worry guys. McKinney had signed a minor-league contract with the Yankees so he does not need to be added to the 40-man roster. I think he is just some insurance in case they need him to play on occasion if Davis is the everyday catcher.
Let's Go Bucs
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:18 am
3pirates3 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:05 am McKinney to Pirates for international bonus pool money.

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1735486285614039298
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... bi01.shtml

Flaherty off the market. - https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/17 ... 4213434691
I hope they don’t think McKinney will play right field if Davis becomes the everyday catcher. This guy has barely hit over .200. I don’t know what the heck the Pirates are doing this offseason. They need additional pitching, and teams are beginning to sign some mid level guys which one would assume the Pirates could afford.
I'm a bit surprised, fjk. You're an astute observer of all things Pirates. The Pirates are operating this offseason in the very same way they've operated over the past twenty-some years. That consistent offseason strategy has been developed by an owner who refuses to have a payroll above a preconceived number, regardless of the team's situation or the amount of money he receives from MLB, even when there's a windfall like the BAMtech deal with Disney a few years ago. He's of the mindset that money coming in shouldn't be going out to the laborers. It's his, and he'll only part with the least amount he can get away with.

So, don't wonder any longer. It's not worth being aggravated over. It'll never change as long as the owner remains.
Thank you for your insight. I know Nutting pinches pennies, but even last offseason they signed Santana, Hill, Cutch, Hedges, and traded for Choi. So far this season they have spent a little over 6 million dollars on a few agent first basemen and a trade for a pitcher whose previous teams are paying the bulk of his salary. Today Wacha signs with the Royals, a small market team like the Pirates. Yes, it is only December 15th, and there is time to sign a pitcher or two, but strike while the iron is hot. Don’t let the opportunity slip by without upgrading the starting pitching staff. The season ticket holders, and occasionally fans like myself deserve a team that will compete for the postseason.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:33 pm

Thank you for your insight. I know Nutting pinches pennies, but even last offseason they signed Santana, Hill, Cutch, Hedges, and traded for Choi. So far this season they have spent a little over 6 million dollars on a few agent first basemen and a trade for a pitcher whose previous teams are paying the bulk of his salary. Today Wacha signs with the Royals, a small market team like the Pirates. Yes, it is only December 15th, and there is time to sign a pitcher or two, but strike while the iron is hot. Don’t let the opportunity slip by without upgrading the starting pitching staff. The season ticket holders, and occasionally fans like myself deserve a team that will compete for the postseason.
At this stage, even counting Cutch as signed, I have a hard time seeing that bringing in Cutch, Rowdy, and Gonzalez match Santana, Hill and Cutch from last off season. So right now I am pessimistic that the team has improved. Improvement is relying on folks like Cruz, Peguero, Reynolds, Suwinski, Hayes, Bae, and Davis to contribute a lot more than they did last year (as a group).

I think that is too much to expect.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Ecbucs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:51 pm

At this stage, even counting Cutch as signed, I have a hard time seeing that bringing in Cutch, Rowdy, and Gonzalez match Santana, Hill and Cutch from last off season. So right now I am pessimistic that the team has improved. Improvement is relying on folks like Cruz, Peguero, Reynolds, Suwinski, Hayes, Bae, and Davis to contribute a lot more than they did last year (as a group).

I think that is too much to expect.
I am fully not expecting them to sign anyone as a free agent. they will overpay in trades to empty the minors which I am fine with since they suck at developing talent anyway. Lets draft some guys that may be good someday and trade them to teams that have already established talent they are willing to let loose.
Doc

Post by Doc »

And yet, in spite of the players the team acquired, the Pirates final payroll number for last season was under $73 million. McCutchen and Santana were the only two acquisitions you listed who made worthwhile contributions. A low payroll, with a below average roster, is just fine with the owner. He’s not in the business to win on the field, which is why what they’ve done over most of the past 20 offseasons is consistent and not at all a coincidence.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

I’m really at a loss to make sense of this off season.
Rodriguez, Flaherty, Wacha have all signed with small market teams. The only reason the Pirates went after Marco Gonzales is that the Braves and Mariners are paying the majority of his contract. We have not upgraded the pitching staff. We have not upgraded 1B. As far as McKinney goes, if we don’t have better OF prospects in the minors then we are worse off than I thought. We actually gave away International money for this underperformer? I thought the Pirates always try to maximize the money they have to spend in the International market. I’m worried now the BC will be forced to give up some of our better prospects in trade in order to plug the holes. We should be spending at least $50M this off-season in player acquisition. Even then we would only have a $100M payroll which would still be $50-$60M below the ML average!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

biggest acquisition of the off season (so far) Edward Olivares from KC.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Ecbucs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:38 pm biggest acquisition of the off season (so far) Edward Olivares from KC.
I am ok with this trade. I assume Olivares will platoon in RF with Palacios. I now want them to sign or acquire two MLB starting pitchers and sign Cutch which Jason Mackey indicated may happen next week. After that if they want to sign a few minor league free agents, and invite them to ST that would be fine.