Bad News on Endy R.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Bad News on Endy R.

Post by Ecbucs »

Pirates catcher Endy Rodríguez underwent surgery to repair the UCL and flexor tendon in his throwing arm, the team announced. He won’t begin baseball activity for 10-12 months and will miss all of 2024.

Henry Davis may get his shot at being primary catcher.
Surgnbuck

Re: Bad News on Endy R.

Post by Surgnbuck »

I just saw this on FB. It happened on November 13th. Now we know why they picked up another catcher.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Just cannot catch a break with their prospects.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Since they now lost Endy, and if they are somewhat concerned about Davis behind the plate would they consider signing Stallings to a minor league contract? I am going to assume if Davis remains in the outfield, that Delay and Sanchez will be the MLB catchers. Stallings will be at Indy for insurance.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Damn, really bad news
Possum

Post by Possum »

I wonder if Stallings has any options left. If he does you can send him to Indy as insurance. If not maybe sign him to a minor league contract with an invite to spring training and let him earn a MLB spot as a backup to Delay.
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Post by Doc »

This is terrible news about Endy, but I’m going to look for a silver lining. This opens the door for Davis to show that he can be an everyday quality major league catcher. If he demonstrates even average ability during Spring Training, make him the starter and run with him. He’ll either get better and establish himself at the position, whereas Endy moves to another spot, or he shows management he either needs to learn to play RF better or that he should become a trade piece. I think he’s going to be a good hitter. We need him.
Possum

Post by Possum »

I guess I can forget about Stallings. It was a pipe dream for me. I forgot to consider Davis as the #1 catcher. They need to let him know that going into ST he is the guy for the job and hope and pray that he is about to come through. You do have Delay as the primary backup and Sanchez as the third catcher.
Let's Go Bucs
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Possum wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:56 pm I guess I can forget about Stallings. It was a pipe dream for me. I forgot to consider Davis as the #1 catcher. They need to let him know that going into ST he is the guy for the job and hope and pray that he is about to come through. You do have Delay as the primary backup and Sanchez as the third catcher.
I don’t think that is much of a pipe dream. Stallings is a free agent, and having catching depth even at the AAA level is important. I guess I am not totally convinced that Davis will take the catching position as the Pirates hope he will. If Delay and Sanchez make the Major League roster, then the Bucs need a good backup at Indy just in case of injury to one of their two catchers.