Ohtani Mega Contract

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Ohtani Mega Contract

Post by Possum »

Ohtani Signs Mega Contract

MLB has just screwed teams like the Pirates with such large contracts. No way will MLB and the MLBPA and agents like Borashole settle for a salary cap.
Let's Go Bucs
Ecbucs

Re: Ohtani Mega Contract

Post by Ecbucs »

This could be the move Ben was waiting for. He may now trade the entire 26 man roster. Then next year's team can be a dh and everyone else on an entry level contract.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I suppose the Dodgers know what they’re doing offering Ohtani a contract of that size. For most organizations, no other changes could be made to improve holes after signing a player for that amount. But the Dodgers have a rotation that’s lacking and I’m guessing they’ll take care of that in the same way they would have had they not signed Ohtani.

That’s the unfairness to me. In reality, the Pirates could’ve signed him to that contract. Trouble is, every other player on the roster would be a first or second year player for the length of Ohtani’s term because the owner would insist upon it.

While I despise his way of doing business, I still believe that Nutting is a secondary problem. Baseball is the biggest issue. Until the owners agree to all spend the same amount of money on payroll each year, little will change, and we’ll never see a World Series here in Pittsburgh again.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Sad but true, doc
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

The Angels never won anything with Ohtani and Trout. Hopefully,
the same fate will befall the Dodgers
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

His arm will be toast in a few years, if not already ? They will regret it. Guess his bat and wages going up in 5 years this will be normal $$$ .

Bryce Harper already wants extension
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:24 am The Angels never won anything with Ohtani and Trout. Hopefully,
the same fate will befall the Dodgers
And that’s exactly what Nutting is rooting for. That way he can say, “See, spending lots of money doesn’t win titles, either.”. We lose either way here in Pittsburgh if spending doesn’t help and not spending doesn’t help.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

It's all about TV deals and real revenue sharing.

I've been just marginally following Cleveland's TV issues for a bit. Their new deal with MLB might be only a third of what it used to be before Bally went away. And that of course was already only a tiny sliver of LA's 8+ BILLION dollar deal.

You can't expect/want all the teams to pay the same salaries as each other in that environment. You just can't. I think people are missing the forest for the trees. It's easier to blame boogeyman Nutting or whatever other team's owner I guess.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Dodgers are deferring $68 million per year of the Ohtani $70 million agreement. In other words they are paying him $2 million dollars per year for ten years. Even the Pirates could have done that until the day of reckoning in 2034. Baseball’s salary structure is so dysfunctional that it is becoming time for the owners and players to somehow get the industry back in order so that all teams can have the opportunity to compete on an even playing field. It is the American Way to make the most money you can, but there comes the time when teams and players as well, have to consider the fans ,and their opportunity to attend games at affordable costs.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:06 am The Dodgers are deferring $68 million per year of the Ohtani $70 million agreement. In other words they are paying him $2 million dollars per year for ten years. Even the Pirates could have done that until the day of reckoning in 2034. Baseball’s salary structure is so dysfunctional that it is becoming time for the owners and players to somehow get the industry back in order so that all teams can have the opportunity to compete on an even playing field. It is the American Way to make the most money you can, but there comes the time when teams and players as well, have to consider the fans ,and their opportunity to attend games at affordable costs.
This is what I’ve been saying. But if past is prolog, don’t expect the owners to do anything but help themselves, especially the big market ones. The fans and players have never been their concern, going all the way back to the 1870s. So I’m not expecting them to do anything to equalize the franchises with regard to payroll. They’re making too much money to want to change anything.