Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Prior to the Pirates signing Ali Sanchez today it has been a very quiet offseason so far. The Pirates biggest needs this offseason are starting pitching and someone to possibly platoon at first base. So far we have seen mid range starting pitching getting in the neighborhood of $12 million per season. I have been thinking of a trade the Pirates could pursue in order to acquire a veteran pitcher and possibly a young starting pitcher. First off, I want to say I like Jack Suwinski, but if some team asked about him the Pirates have to consider it. If the Bucs were to trade Suwinski they would have to acquire a player to play centerfield, possibly someone like Kevin Kiermaier. Also a player such as Carlos Santana would have to be acquired to platoon at first base, and to replace some of the home run power being lost with a trade of Suwinski. Possibly the Pirates can fill some of their starting pitching needs at the upcoming Winter Meetings without moving some of their younger players.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Concerning Sanchez, I agree with Mouse. I would have thought a
catcher is the last thing the bucs needed
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Also concerning Sanchez, i am thinking this means one of Endy or Davis are getting traded.
UtahPirate2

Post by UtahPirate2 »

Osushawn wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:55 pm Also concerning Sanchez, i am thinking this means one of Endy or Davis are getting traded.
Or Delay. I've always felt he is quietly a much better player than we tend to give him credit for. Would make a really nice backup for somebody - and is that kind of "throw-in" that helps finish deals.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I wonder about Davis. He doesn't seem to actually have a position. Unless his defense in right improves, he's not an outfielder, and he hasn't shown (or had opportunity to show) that he can be an ML catcher. He would be my first thought on a trade candidate if they decide to thin the catcher ranks. Sanchez, I understand, is out of minor league options, so he couldn't be stashed there. Delay seems to show solid promise as a back-up, but he may have options remaining. of the group, Davis is basically the odd man out.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

mouse wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:20 pm I wonder about Davis. He doesn't seem to actually have a position. Unless his defense in right improves, he's not an outfielder, and he hasn't shown (or had opportunity to show) that he can be an ML catcher. He would be my first thought on a trade candidate if they decide to thin the catcher ranks. Sanchez, I understand, is out of minor league options, so he couldn't be stashed there. Delay seems to show solid promise as a back-up, but he may have options remaining. of the group, Davis is basically the odd man out.
If they move Davis the return better be good. I agree catching may not be his future position, I would continue to see how his play in the outfield develops. I do think his bat will play big time in the Major Leagues. I could see him hitting around 35 homers each year.
Possum

Post by Possum »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:03 pm
mouse wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:20 pm I wonder about Davis. He doesn't seem to actually have a position. Unless his defense in right improves, he's not an outfielder, and he hasn't shown (or had opportunity to show) that he can be an ML catcher. He would be my first thought on a trade candidate if they decide to thin the catcher ranks. Sanchez, I understand, is out of minor league options, so he couldn't be stashed there. Delay seems to show solid promise as a back-up, but he may have options remaining. of the group, Davis is basically the odd man out.
If they move Davis the return better be good. I agree catching may not be his future position, I would continue to see how his play in the outfield develops. I do think his bat will play big time in the Major Leagues. I could see him hitting around 35 homers each year.
What is a good return? If you trade him for prospects will management screw up their development like all young prospects? If they trade him for a top player will BN balk at the big salary the player will demand?

Another thing with Sanchez, who says he has to make the Opening Day Roster? I would rather have DeLay as the 3rd catcher.
Let's Go Bucs
mouse

Post by mouse »

Sanchez has no options left, so if he doesn't make the opening day roster, he's gone. They must have thought he had longer term potential so I don't see them just letting him go. If Delay has an option left, I could see him going to AAA or one of the other three (including Delay) being traded. It just seems a situation where *something* is going to happen. The problem with getting someone by trade is that you have to give someone (or several someones) up to get them and other teams never want the 28 year old guy in single A with terrible stats. They want the guy(s) we'll really hate to see go. Davis, Triolo, are ones who seem "available." I can't even guess who might go from the minor league system.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Possum wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:12 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:03 pm
What is a good return? If you trade him for prospects will management screw up their development like all young prospects? If they trade him for a top player will BN balk at the big salary the player will demand?

Another thing with Sanchez, who says he has to make the Opening Day Roster? I would rather have DeLay as the 3rd catcher.
I would rather they move Endy to first and let Sanchez and Delay handle the backstop. Use the money on pitching
Possum

Post by Possum »

This thread is creating some interesting discussion about the catching situation. We have 4 guys on the roster who can catch, Davis, Endy, Delay, and Sanchez.
Davis has his defensive deficiencies as a catcher which seem to be unsolvable. So you move him to RF where he is not much better defensively. Do the Bucs need to find an OF whisperer to teach him how to play the OF? If not do they just cut bait and get what they can for him hoping that some other team doesn't help him figure it out? I think his hitting will come around once Davis is settled in one defensive position.
Endy should be the everyday or almost everyday catcher. Of course, he could take a day or two off each week, play 1B, and let Delay move into the starting spot. If Endy is at 1B those two days, he can always move back to catcher late in the game.
I love Delay as the backup. He just does things I like defensively and can get the timely hit.
As far as Sanchez goes, I really don't know anything about him other than he is out of options. Maybe he will battle Delay for the backup slot until he pulls an Austin Hedges and they cut him and bring back Delay. That assumes DeLay has options left.
Let's Go Bucs