Jared Triolo

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Jared Triolo

Post by Ecbucs »

He was subject to a question on the MLB chat about the Pirates today and this is the writer's assessment (which I hope is incorrect)

I think he can potentially bounce around the infield and the OF corners, but I'm not sold with the 27% K rate in AAA and the 29% in the Majors. As soon as the .430 BABIP comes crashing down to earth, the offense is going to look a lot worse.

Triolo hasn't just lacked home runs... he's sporting bottom-of-the-scale exit velocity and hard-hit rates. There's probably some room for further development, but he'll turn 26 this offseason. Maybe there's a Kyle Farmer or Wilmer Flores kind of profile in there eventually, but I'm probably not nearly as high on him as a lot of Pirates fans are.
Doc

Re: Jared Triolo

Post by Doc »

It’s probably too early to tell what Triolo’s future holds. I’m not sure that he can be a starter on a team that will compete for a playoff spot but I do think he can serve in a similar fashion as Chris Taylor of the Dodgers. Taylor can play just about every position. Triolo can play anywhere in the infield, easily backing up all four positions, and can likely serve as a sixth outfielder if need be. That’s a really nice asset to have as it saves a roster spot for perhaps another bullpen arm.

He’s currently batting at a .299 clip. If that’s what he’s going to settle in at, he’s going to make for a terrific role player over these next five years or so.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I wasn't sold on him initially because they had him playing second base a lot. He doesn't have enough range there to be a starter, and when he had Davis in RF behind him, with Joe at 1B after the Santana trade, the right side of the infield was a disaster.

However, I would take him over Bae at second base. What he lacks in range, he at least makes the throw. Now, he's really looked like an actual first baseman in his few starts, and he can certainly play third on par with anyone in the league, including Hayes. Needless to say, he's won me over to be part of the 2024 team. I'd really like to see them move him to first as the primary guy there, and spend money on pitching.

He's been hitting with more pop in his bat lately. It's been pointed out he's recovering from hamate bone surgery. I don't have numbers or analytics to back me up, but to me he's Neil Walker, but hitting from only one side.

I'd take that.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Surgnbuck wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:56 pm I wasn't sold on him initially because they had him playing second base a lot. He doesn't have enough range there to be a starter, and when he had Davis in RF behind him, with Joe at 1B after the Santana trade, the right side of the infield was a disaster.

However, I would take him over Bae at second base. What he lacks in range, he at least makes the throw. Now, he's really looked like an actual first baseman in his few starts, and he can certainly play third on par with anyone in the league, including Hayes. Needless to say, he's won me over to be part of the 2024 team. I'd really like to see them move him to first as the primary guy there, and spend money on pitching.

He's been hitting with more pop in his bat lately. It's been pointed out he's recovering from hamate bone surgery. I don't have numbers or analytics to back me up, but to me he's Neil Walker, but hitting from only one side.

I'd take that.
this is my impression too. I think his recovering from the hamate bone surgery as well as new batting stance has created a new hitter. The question is whether he can hit like this most of the time. If so, he can be a regular first baseman or some one to move around the diamond. I am impressed that he walks a fair amount. If he can homer every 35 at bats or so then he has enough power for first IMO as that would be 15 or more over a full season..
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:50 pm It’s probably too early to tell what Triolo’s future holds. I’m not sure that he can be a starter on a team that will compete for a playoff spot but I do think he can serve in a similar fashion as Chris Taylor of the Dodgers. Taylor can play just about every position. Triolo can play anywhere in the infield, easily backing up all four positions, and can likely serve as a sixth outfielder if need be. That’s a really nice asset to have as it saves a roster spot for perhaps another bullpen arm.

He’s currently batting at a .299 clip. If that’s what he’s going to settle in at, he’s going to make for a terrific role player over these next five years or so.
If he can be a .299-type hitter, he needs to be a regular starter!
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:42 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:50 pm It’s probably too early to tell what Triolo’s future holds. I’m not sure that he can be a starter on a team that will compete for a playoff spot but I do think he can serve in a similar fashion as Chris Taylor of the Dodgers. Taylor can play just about every position. Triolo can play anywhere in the infield, easily backing up all four positions, and can likely serve as a sixth outfielder if need be. That’s a really nice asset to have as it saves a roster spot for perhaps another bullpen arm.

If he can be a .299-type hitter, he needs to be a regular starter!
If there's a player at each position who offers more at that position than he does, then he can make for a really valuable substitute anywhere on the field. A player like that becomes a 9th starter in that he's filling-in for someone four to six days a week, with little to no drop off in performance. He'd end up with 400+ at bats, they'd just come from five or six positions.

If in the end they decide to make him the starting 1Bman, I'd be fine with that. But I think the line-up can be better with an experienced guy who has a solid history at the position.