My man Hayes

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

My man Hayes

Post by Surgnbuck »

https://twitter.com/KeBryanHayes/status ... 0782520397

It's interesting that if you had asked me a few years ago, I was adamant against robo umps. That has changed, as clearly over the last few years, the guys calling balls and strikes really could care less how well they do. It's a shame that there isn't even pride in trying to do a perfect job anymore. Defending the most egregious of the lot was the final straw for me.
Possum

Re: My man Hayes

Post by Possum »

DeJean Kovocavic from DK Sports said today in his Pirates Daily Shots episode this morning that MLB and the umpires don't give a shit about how balls & strikes are called. All the umps require is that you don't show them up. He doubts that the robo-umps will be up and running before 2025 and then it will not be just like they are using in MiLB now.
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:02 pm https://twitter.com/KeBryanHayes/status ... 0782520397

It's interesting that if you had asked me a few years ago, I was adamant against robo umps. That has changed, as clearly over the last few years, the guys calling balls and strikes really could care less how well they do. It's a shame that there isn't even pride in trying to do a perfect job anymore. Defending the most egregious of the lot was the final straw for me.
I'm very much opposed to changes I believe to be radical, unnecessary, or alter the game too much. But I have to admit, following the games each night on Game Day and seeing the pitches that are missed by a wide margin by the umpires, has me creeping on the side of having the balls and strikes determined by technology. I don't know if the umpires care about the job they're doing, or even if they're intentionally missing pitches for whatever the reason might be, but I don't think they're capable of being as precise as umpires were even 20 years ago. More pitchers throw harder than ever before, with more movement, to the point that I don't believe most of the umpires, who are older and therefore their eyes aren't as good, can tract the flight of the pitches like their predecessors could.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

I agree that some of the ball and strike calls have been horrific. I am not in favor of some form of “Robo-Ump”. It takes the human part of the game out. However, I would be in favor of using technology to givecthe umps better tools. I am sure that technology exists in which if a ball catches a part of the strike zone that a sensor could transmit a sound that would be picked up by the umpires head set. The only issue would be if the head set fails which we have seen when calling pitches.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

JollyRoger8 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:09 pm I agree that some of the ball and strike calls have been horrific. I am not in favor of some form of “Robo-Ump”. It takes the human part of the game out. However, I would be in favor of using technology to givecthe umps better tools. I am sure that technology exists in which if a ball catches a part of the strike zone that a sensor could transmit a sound that would be picked up by the umpires head set. The only issue would be if the head set fails which we have seen when calling pitches.
That is what they mean by "robo umps." The ump would still physically be there. He would have a piece in his ear for balls/strikes. He still has to call plays at the plate, balks, check swings, HBPs, foul or fair balls.
There's no basement in the Alamo.